“Decent food but service needs improvement.”

Frontbeach Taphouse & Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 84 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Hi, we ate at this restaurant while in Torquay, and thought it was excellent. Posting it would allow us to write a review for it.
Yorkshire
“Decent food but service needs improvement.”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Fell on this cafe quite by chance after pulling off the main road to look for somewhere for lunch.
The Front Beach has a great setting, just over the road from the beach. Has both outside and inside eating areas.
We found the staff welcoming and helpful. The service was on the slow side but the place was very busy - Saturday lunchtime.
My steak sandwich was really good. Chips were nothing special.
Prices are on the high side, $44 for a couple of sandwiches and chips plus drinks.

• Visited November 2013

Torquay, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place for an event, or just a drink.”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

The Front Beach Cafe has an excellent atmosphere and fantastc food. I held my 18th Birthday here a few months ago and the staff were very accomodating. I definitely reccomend Front Beach.

Visited December 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Couldn't get worse!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

My partner and I visited Front Beach restaurant last Sunday (1/1/13) and the beginnings of what should have been a pleasant lunch didn't augur well! When it took 30-40min just for our coffee and other drinks to arrive then one's worst fears are on the cusp of being realized! And on that score I wasn't disappointed! Food though hadn't appeared yet after waiting for more than an hour, I ask you? The staff, although marginally friendly and apologetic, showed signs of being used to this scenario and largely ignored it because, I suspect, they were used to the situation. But this is utterly unacceptable, busy or not! This place has been one of the worst experiences I've had of late.

This restaurant has all the classic signs of an extremely badly (dis)organized kitchen! The whole blame for this excuse of a restaurant should squarely fall on the head chef, whose ability to organize a kitchen is nil, zero, zilch!! A busy day is NOT an excuse for this sorry substitute of a head-chef!!

I have been in restaurants with 3-4 times the capacity and seating that had no trouble at all serving everyone in a reasonable time AND able to accommodate special requests without blinking an eye. I cannot comment on the quality or otherwise of the food because I never had the opportunity to sample it. But that was probably a blessing in disguise!

In conclusion I can only say avoid this place like the proverbial plague, unless you're a sucker for punishment and like being annoyed! It's a pity though that more and more similar restaurants have exchanged timely/prompt service with a contemporary decor and staff whose attitudes often borders on the insolent, as if that would substitute for prompt service and good food. No wonder I am more and more reluctant to visit restaurants of any description. It worries me more and more that simply buying fish 'n chips and eat it the street is a more satisfying prospect than visiting this excuse for a restaurant!!

• Visited December 2013
Melbourne
“Food never came”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We went for lunch. Firstly after waiting twenty minutes a cola arrived. My companion wanted a coffee. After checking with waiter the coffee arrived about ten minutes later. WE had ordered our food. Two main courses , steak and fish and chips. After an hour we asked waitress to check. She came back saying it will be next". Meanwhile we saw people arriving after us and some were served! I cannot review the food as it never arrived! I don't think fish and chips and steak is really all that difficult. Yes it was busy but if you cannot cope with that customers let us know before you take orders!
WE waited longer but came to the conclusion 80 minutes is too much so we left.
We reluctantly decided to pay for coffee and coke although we were extremely angry. Late for an appointment and hungry!
No time for lunch.
To be fair the young waiter refused to charge us and apologised. The head waitress seemed quite unconcerned but the young waiter was most apologetic..
The chef and kitchen obviously have no idea of how to organise a busy Sunday. There is obviously no system or professionalism. If they are going to take over an hour to serve they should tell customers so they can go else where.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank petersj
Melbourne, Australia
“Consistent Quality”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Am Torquay locals who try most restaurant/cafes. Front Beach has friendly service and quality food. Whether breakfast, lunch or dinner you're assured of a pleasant dining experience!

• Visited November 2013