“Good food but service not great”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Ate here on a Friday night with hubby. Loved the decor upstairs with the scatter cushions.

The food was good but the service wasn't great. My meal arrived by the time my hubby had almost finished his. And the waitress struggled to understand and speak English which made communication a struggle.

Enjoyed the evening but not sure we would return.

1  Thank Kaz08

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I went to Patee Thai with a group of friends after having it strongly recommended by a few colleagues. The decor is typical Thai restaurant style and it is a little small and pokey inside but that's what eating Thai is all about! We sat downstairs not upstairs as we didn't want to sit on the floor. I was initially a little disappointed my favourite dish wasn't on the menu (chicken and cashew) as well as some other dishes you normally find at Thai restaurants but I went for the Thai green curry instead, which was quite nice as it was not too heavy on cream. I also had some roti and satay which was delicious and shared some coconut rice with my meal which was also good. The servings are big and good value for money but it does take longer then normal for your food to be served and they tend to bring everything out at different times but hey... that's all part of the Thai restuarant experience! I would reccomend coming here with a group of people and sharing a few different dishes, it is well worth the price you pay. However, if you have a favourite dish, check the menu has it before you go!

1  Thank Bbbelz
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Melbourne has mixed cultures with different restuarants and this Thai Resto has realy great food delicacies

1  Thank Fredesternon
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Patee Thai is beautifully decorated. Downstairs are the smaller tables for couples and small groups and upstairs are the long tables for larger parties. There are no chairs upstairs, you must remove your shoes and sit on cushions at the tables which also makes for a nice and different experience.

Unfortunately we didn't have a good experience there as our entrees took ages to come out and so did our mains and we never received a cocktail we'd ordered. There were 7 of us and our mains came at varying times. We asked the staff a few times when the rest of the mains would be coming out. In the end, one of the dishes did not come until well after we'd all eaten (so one of our group was absolutely starving and had to eat whatever bits were left over from the other main dishes!) Finally his main dish came out well after we'd all finished eating (btw it was the same dish someone else in our group had ordered so don't know why they didn't just make a double quantity) but we sent it back saying it was no longer required.

In addition to this, the dish I'd ordered - a minced chicked dish, was no good (and my friend agreed after also tasting it), never thought we'd taste a bad Thai dish but there it was.

However, after we had complained about the level of service they did somewhat rectify the situation by giving 20% off the bill (and obviously not charging us for the cocktail which never arrived and the main which came after we'd all eaten).

So overall most of the food was nice, the atmosphere was nice and other people in our group had been there before with even larger parties and the level of service had been fine. But that was my first experience there and I wouldn't go again.

1  Thank MercuryJackson