“AU REVOIR JACQUES REYMOND”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jacques Reymond Restaurant - CLOSED

Jacques Reymond Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“AU REVOIR JACQUES REYMOND”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We all know that JR is closing at the end of the year, and there’s been a flurry of bookings for the last chance for what has been Melbourne’s finest restaurant for the last 25 years.
I first dined at the original Lennox Street, Richmond premises in 1988 which must have been just after it opened. I was so impressed I returned when I came down from Sydney for Melbourne Cup that year, and organized foody friends to also do so. The following year we kidnapped a friend for his 40th birthday and flew to Melbourne (“but I have afternoon meetings” he pleaded with his PA” “yes, all afternoon in Melbourne” she replied). I’d sent down a “birth-year” wine - 1949 Cos d'Estournel - for what was a wonderful occasion. After that busy start I’ve dined there occasionally over the intervening years and never been disappointed.
I doubted I'd have a chance to visit before the closing so I was rather excited when Hunter winery Hungerford Hill invited me to a degustation there last week …

Big puffy gougeres speak of French dining, a JR staple since the beginning, but a beautifully sweet piece of hapuka with Japanese-style pickles and yuzu displayed Jacques’ forays into flavours beyond the shores of his native land, or even the confines of Europe. A mercifully small piece of fine Wagyu showed that less is more for this unctuous, rich treat; this a beautifully balanced dish cooked a la plancha with flavours of burnt onion and coffee cutting the fatty meat. These last two sound excessive but their restraint brought it all together.
His modernist take on the classic Mont Blanc looked more like a snow-capped mountain than any piped cream version I’ve had, and the flavours of strawberry, bay and chocolate made this a dreamy way to farewell this wonderful part of Melbourne’s dining history.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Christopher_Hayes

Melbourne, Australia
“Great to revisit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I chose this restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We knew from a previous visit that this was a beautiful venue, and very romantic. The food is consistently excellent, and the staff very attentive. This time we chose a lighter meal of four courses rather than the degustation menu of eight. We also got to choose which courses we preferred. Be warned though, each course is quite small, entree size. We finished with cheese and dessert, which is always excellent.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Roswitha357
St Kilda, Australia
“Underwhemled”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Went with friends (this is their favourite place in Melbourne) and had been looking forward to this for weeks, so perhaps expectations were part of the problem.

I asked about a food allergy I have (which I told the restaurant at time of booking and was mentioned when the booking was confirmed) and the waiter got flustered, saying no one told him about it; he had to check some things with the chef, which I appreciate, but it's unfortunate that no one got the memo, as this situation was awkward enough to attract the attention of nearby tables.

When the waiter discovered only one of our party was drinking, the service became visibly more subdued. (Our friends said this happens often to them at restaurants as they don't drink; they're used to it. I'm not.) Our drinker was not thrilled with the wine pairings and when he told the waiter he preferred more robust wines, the waiter said 'we have specific wines we pair with each course' - unfortunately our drinker wasn't keen on any of the wines he was served. When paying around $100 for wine pairings, one would think they would be able to deviate from the norm to match to the customer's tastes, but it's understandable that the sommelier has particular wines in mind for each dish.

We all had the degustation menus (some meat, some fish, some vego) and unfortunately I cannot remember anything I had. Having eaten at numerous Michelin-starred places in the US and Europe, I expect a place that has three chef hats to be of a similar (memorable!) calibre. Unfortunately what I remember from this meal was feeling uncomfortable that most of us weren't drinking and that my food allergy was making things difficult.

Our bill came close to $1100 for four people, which we expected. What we did not expect was a mediocre meal and service. Obviously JR has very few TripAdvisor reviews that are fewer than 5 stars, so we could have hit it on a bad night; indeed it was a weeknight and the restaurant was not full. But we left disappointed.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank heilaneats
melbourne, australia
“pork and cuttlefish. Soooooo beautiful.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Degustation beautiful. loved it all and will go back with friends next time. Would have preferred a table not jammed up against the wall but this was the only negative.

• Visited August 2013
Melbourne,Victoria
“Magnifique!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

A magnificent dining experience from beginning to end.
The 8 course degustation menu offered a wide range of superbly presented delicacies, all cooked to perfection. We did not have the accompanying wine selection but choose our own from the excellent cellar available.
Service excellent with a very amiable and efficient waiter.
Jacques Reymond visited all of the tables and was delightful. Pity he is retiring very soon.
Must book weeks in advance to get a table at this renowned restaurant.

• Visited August 2013