“Great to revisit.”

Jacques Reymond Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I chose this restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We knew from a previous visit that this was a beautiful venue, and very romantic. The food is consistently excellent, and the staff very attentive. This time we chose a lighter meal of four courses rather than the degustation menu of eight. We also got to choose which courses we preferred. Be warned though, each course is quite small, entree size. We finished with cheese and dessert, which is always excellent.

2  Thank Roswitha357

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Went with friends (this is their favourite place in Melbourne) and had been looking forward to this for weeks, so perhaps expectations were part of the problem.

I asked about a food allergy I have (which I told the restaurant at time of booking and was mentioned when the booking was confirmed) and the waiter got flustered, saying no one told him about it; he had to check some things with the chef, which I appreciate, but it's unfortunate that no one got the memo, as this situation was awkward enough to attract the attention of nearby tables.

When the waiter discovered only one of our party was drinking, the service became visibly more subdued. (Our friends said this happens often to them at restaurants as they don't drink; they're used to it. I'm not.) Our drinker was not thrilled with the wine pairings and when he told the waiter he preferred more robust wines, the waiter said 'we have specific wines we pair with each course' - unfortunately our drinker wasn't keen on any of the wines he was served. When paying around $100 for wine pairings, one would think they would be able to deviate from the norm to match to the customer's tastes, but it's understandable that the sommelier has particular wines in mind for each dish.

We all had the degustation menus (some meat, some fish, some vego) and unfortunately I cannot remember anything I had. Having eaten at numerous Michelin-starred places in the US and Europe, I expect a place that has three chef hats to be of a similar (memorable!) calibre. Unfortunately what I remember from this meal was feeling uncomfortable that most of us weren't drinking and that my food allergy was making things difficult.

Our bill came close to $1100 for four people, which we expected. What we did not expect was a mediocre meal and service. Obviously JR has very few TripAdvisor reviews that are fewer than 5 stars, so we could have hit it on a bad night; indeed it was a weeknight and the restaurant was not full. But we left disappointed.

1  Thank heilaneats
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Degustation beautiful. loved it all and will go back with friends next time. Would have preferred a table not jammed up against the wall but this was the only negative.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

A magnificent dining experience from beginning to end.
The 8 course degustation menu offered a wide range of superbly presented delicacies, all cooked to perfection. We did not have the accompanying wine selection but choose our own from the excellent cellar available.
Service excellent with a very amiable and efficient waiter.
Jacques Reymond visited all of the tables and was delightful. Pity he is retiring very soon.
Must book weeks in advance to get a table at this renowned restaurant.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

jacques reymond is a beautiful decorated restaurant located in a small french-style house. as a french food lover, i had very high expectations trying this place. the food is delicious, the mixture of flavors are simply beautiful, and this is an experience you will enjoy and tell friends and family. the service was very professional and friendly. quality of food was amazing!