“Lovely food and intimate atmosphere”
Review of Zucca Rossa - CLOSED

Zucca Rossa
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Situated in the old Prahran Post Office you might walk in thinking this is a bit of a barn but they have a large bar area with a segregated pre dinner drink area overlooking the street scape. When you are led to your table within the restaurant area you are aware of other tables around you but with the clever lighting we and our friends felt we were the only ones there as we immersed ourselves in catch up conversation and delighted over the food choices. They were flexible in our ability to share entrees and even made a slight change to my wife's main to accommodate her dislike for mushrooms. I had a magnificently cooked chicken infused with truffles and served on a bed of pasta (delicious). Washed down with a couple of bottles of Tasmanian Pinot Gris everyone loved there meals. Cost (including pre dinner drinks) was approx $100 per head and worth every bit of it. Being visitors to Melbourne being a 3 minute walk from the Prahran train station was a bonus

Reviewed June 20, 2014

If you want Italian classics done well, then this is a great option. The food is hearty and the perfect recipe for a dreary winters evening. The wine list is also good too.

1  Thank MarkG78_12
Reviewed May 31, 2014

It isn't often that nothing goes right at dinner. This restaurant is expensive, menu is unimaginative sides are boring and over seasoned. Some of the waiting staff were good, but overall it was a very poor experience.

On one of our visits, the maître de was there on his first week, and he was running front of house as if it was Florentino in the 80's. It is not acceptable to have a man providing a service wanting to kiss your hand. The whole experience was unsatisfactory, compounded with Chef refusing to allow us to take home excessive spinach and potatoes because of food safety laws?

We have been there on three occasions for drinks/coffee and a meal, but sadly we won't be going back. On top of my tale of woe, the restaurant is a barn of a place, and not suited for most meals.

1  Thank jenjenrossco
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I visited this restaurant just after it opened for the day on a Sunday afternoon in Melbourne. I was in fact the first guest and was dining alone. A number of other patrons arrived shortly after and by the time I left it was quite busy. I was immediately offered a drink and shown the menu by a most attentive young waiter. I had a meal of quail which I still recall fondly and a wonderful chocolate slice for dessert. It is a large restaurant with a timber floor and I imagine it could get quite noisy on a busy Friday/Saturday night but for me the experience was memorable

2  Thank david O
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Our party of 4 had a very poor experience at this restaurant. The restaurant was understaffed for a Friday night and we had long periods to wait before even getting menus. Two of us had twice cooked duck which was simply inedible. I reckon this duck was cooked at least 4 times. We complained to a waitress but was informed that she would tell the chef and that was the only reaction.The wine list was adequate but the markup on the prices was extreme. Way too expensive. The only positive about this restaurant was the desserts. We will not be returning as there are far too many good restaurants in Melbourne that offer better value and food.