“Yum yum yum”

Colonel Tan's
Ranked #29 of 163 Restaurants in Prahran
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I went there for my birthday and was super impressed. The hostess was very friendly and helpful. I look forward to going back. Oh and the food was amazing, we got banquet style as we had a large group

1  Thank eme_kiwi

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Came here to have a early evening meal with friends after going to the movies. Cool place but we were all immediately turned off by the first person who served us - who was distinctly not interested and rude. The other two people who served us were terrific though.

Food was ok- nothing special. It is the venue which makes it a bit of fun - 1950s/ 1960s tables and chairs, pin ball machines and graffiti on the wall.

Once is enough of an experience for us though.

1  Thank 69Penny
Reviewed October 4, 2012

If you happen to be in Prahran for a casual dinner, I couldn't recommend Colonel Tan's any higher. Great fusion thai food, large spaces with eclectic furniture, well-stocked bar...

It's not the easiest place to find, but when you reach the correct building be confident enough to walk up the stairs, turn left past the deserted studio outfit, and continue down the corridor where the entrance to the restaurant will reveal itself at the end on your right.

Chicken and kaffir lime burger with french fries highly recommended.

Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I'd been to Cookie in Swanston St, Melbourne before and I was super impressed with the Belgium beer hall come thai restaurant with the brilliant food. However, Colonel Tan's (which I heard has the same owners) took it up another notch with it's uber electric vintage chic fit out, complete with velour lounges, ceiling mounted lampshades and of course a DJ cage, which every hipster restaurant should have! Like Cookie the innovative thai fusion food was packed with surprising flavour; the calamari was a triumph and the pork and prawn donuts sublime. We didn't even make it to mains and rice, instead feasting on thai sausage, fried pork ribs, corn fritters and the like. The jugs of Boags perfectly complemented the spicy fare. Service was efficient even on a packed Thursday night, which I'm told is Locals night, lucky I was dining with a Toorakian!! I will be back to this funky urban gem.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

When I was led into the venue, I thought there had to be some sort of mistake. This looks like a dark nightclub to me! But then as we went up the stairs and further in, I see a cool, funky restaurant. It was very different and I was still a bit apprehensive when we sat down. However, service was excellent, we were served by a young, extremely friendly waitress and we proceeded to order A LOT as we usually do. The menu is modern, Thai fusion and they do it VERY well! Definitely get the pork and prawn donuts and chicken maryland with salted duck egg salad. Everything was very tasty. I guess the only area they could improve is with desserts, or that could just be me. I like French-type desserts but these were desserts with an asian flair (think palm sugar, coconut, tapioca etc) that were really not to my taste. Highly recommended.