“Stylish, modern & perfect location”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My partner and I loved our stay at The Cullen. The rooms were modern and stylish and we loved the fact that there is so much art all around the hotel. Good facilities and even better location to all the shopping, restaurants and bars on Chapel Street. Definitely stay there again.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
JoshoMelbourne, General Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2010

Thanks to the author for their review.

We really are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Yes, there is a lot of art in the Hotel to absorb – 7 originals, 450 prints and even 2 cows!

Your right, our location is great with Chapel Street on our doorstop, the famous Prahran Markets across the road and only a 7 minute tram ride to the city!

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

A great hotel in a very good position for pubs and clubs,shopping and resturants.Very funky inside with the art work and decor.The staff where helpful, especially James who fixed up a few minor issues(great breakfast down stairs thank you). A great location to walk to any shopping,would recommend this hotel to all type of travelers.The beds where magnificent and different type of pillows are great. Rooms are a good size and no problem with the bathroom and frosted glass,could also watch TV from the shower.Will return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Thanks to the author for their review.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. James is one of our Guest Experience Managers, and I am happy he took care of you so well.

It’s great to hear you will be back, and we look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed July 9, 2010

Perfect Melbourne weekend. Hotel has a great vibe, the staff aren't suited up like drones, rooms are funky and the BED is AMAZING. Powerful shower too. Really impressed with the post-stay follow up, and even a reply to my comments! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Thanks to the author for their review.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us, and really appreciate your comments.

Look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed July 8, 2010

This is my second stay at the Cullen and I can only rave about it and recommend it.
Up until 2010, I have always stayed at the Langham, but it needs a makeover. The Cullen has become my new choice when staying in Melbourne.

As with the previous time, the check in was seamless and welcoming. Check in staff are terrific and nothing is a bother. My room was gorgeous. Pillows and bed is like sleeping on a cloud no matter how precious you might be. Room was spotlessly clean, spacious and with every amenity I could have possible needed.

Trust me, if there was something to complain about I would, but for the now 8 nights in total this year I have stayed at the Cullen, I can only say it is brilliant with its high quality service, accommodating and friendly staff, welcoming vibe, great food (even better coffee), and a stunning aesthetic that features right throughout the hotel.

Location is brilliant. Dont be put off by thinking it is out of range in price or too trendy. If you give it a try, you will find pricing is competitive and you will want for nothing.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo

Thanks to the author for their review!

Wow, it’s fantastic to know that you have stayed with us a couple of times. Thanks so much for the kind review and I can assure you the whole team at The Cullen is appreciative.
I have to agree with you – the coffee in the Hotel is great!

Thanks again, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband and I spent two nights at the Cullen recently and had a fabulous time. We opted to stay out of the city as we had an engagement party to attend in Prahran on the Saturday night. However the location of the Cullen, on Commercial Rd, was so convenient to get into the city on the tram it really didn’t matter that we weren’t in the CBD.

A very new hotel, we stayed in a Studio Suite – I’d suggest it’s about the same size as most standard hotel rooms. The ensuite was maybe a little smaller than some hotels, and as some reviewers have noted it didn’t have a bath – but as a traveller that can’t stand the shower-over-bath (which seems to be the standard, unless going very upmarket), I had no issue with that.

The opaque frosted glass bathroom was a bit of a surprise – probably could have done with slightly heavier frosting!

Staff at the hotel were great, very informative and helpful. We arrived a little after midday and we were able to go straight into our room.

The fact that the hotel has two smart cars available for hire was an added bonus that we took advantage of.

I can also recommend the dumping restaurant in the ground floor of the hotel – yum!

I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Thanks to the author for their review.

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s true that were just a stones throw from the city, with the added bonus of being situated in the quirky and fun area of Prahran.
Yes, the bathroom frostings are a bit cheeky – but all part of the experience of staying at the Cullen.

Look forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2010

I stayed here for two nights with my sister. The start of my stay went off with a little hitch... when they say 2pm check in, I expect 2pm check in, no excuses. We arrived just before two, to be told our room wasnt' ready. We went off and had a bite to eat, then, came back at 2.30, still not ready!!!! No 'sweeetner' to make us feel better, and we still had to check out on time! I am not sure why the guest has to respect check out time, and the hotel doesn't respect check in time????? On a good note, staff very friendly and cute(the boys that is!), however didn't know the area very well, when we asked reception for a good bar and Vietnamese restaurant in the area, she had no idea? LOVED the art, and the decor of the hotel. The gym is tiny, and there seemed to be an issue with the TV's working, when we asked a staff member to fix the problem, we never saw them again, and they problem was never rectified? Beautiful comfortable beds. very clean. The hotel just needs a bit of work on the everyday workings of the hotel, such as, just when we decided to have a rest at 4pm in the afternoon, they still hadn't cleaned our room and wanted to clean it as soon as we lay down, then left their dirty rags in our room. I agree with everyone else, funky, cool hotel, very new and clean, but just please fix the little issues, and it would be a much better stay.
And one more thing, free wifi would'nt go astray!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank zoemax
JoshoMelbourne, General Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2010

Thanks to the author for their review.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and pleased to hear the staff looked after you so well.
I really appreciate your constructive feedback, as this helps us to understand the Hotel from a guest’s perspective. We are always willing to change depending on our guests needs.
I am glad you had a good stay, and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 24, 2010

This is an unusual hotel. I really liked it. Staff were very helpful and pleasant. The art was interesting. Location is fantastic. Well worth a try. I certainly look forward to returning.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Thanks to the author for their review.

It’s nice to here we are unusual….whilst we don’t flaunt it, the nature of the Hotel and staff is slightly different to your typical 5 star Hotel. I’m really pleased you liked it!

Look forward to your return,

Josh O’Brien

Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#10 of 162 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!