We were very disappointed with the Cullen Hotel during our 2 night stay this weekend. Our check-in experience was pleasant enough and the receptionist did his best to make us feel welcome but it went downhill from there.
Our room was a ‘suite’ in name only and was smaller then most rooms I’ve stayed in. There was no bath and the toilet was approximately 75cm from the top of the bed, separated only by a piece of frosted glass - not conducive to any sort of privacy or romance!!
If you tried to discreetly use the toilet in the middle of the night the motion sensor in the toilet would automatically started the extractor fan!! It was also not possible to turn off the air conditioning in the room.
You can only use the in-room WiFi if you can connect the cable to a laptop first and create an account –it’s not possible to connect an iPhone or iPad to the Wifi.
The next day, 3 very enthusiastic room service guys were keen to get in our room and service it so we were a little surprised that their idea of servicing the room involved leaving the rubbish everywhere, not emptying the bins or washing the glasses we’d used. Between the 3 of them they did manage to make the bed and replace the towels.
I complained to the receptionist about the poor quality of servicing of our room - he couldn’t have been less interested if I had started talking about macroeconomic trends in Outer Mongolia!!! He said someone would be along later to collect the rubbish and tidy the room.
We decided to have an afternoon nap so put the ‘Do Not Disturb’ (or not so witty ‘Artist in Residence’) sign on the door, on seeing the sign on our door Housekeeping spoke to reception and asked them to call us and wake us up to see if it was ok to clean the room now as they’d noticed we had the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on the door!!!!
The final insult was when we asked to check out 1 hour later then usual but the girl on reception refused our request and insisted we leave at 11am on the dot.
This would be amateur service for a 4 star hotel so it’s laughable they think they’re a 5 star hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Prahran, Melbourne, The Cullen is inspired by Adam Cullen. Daring and unique, The Cullen features lashings of original artwork and prints by Australia’s most exciting contemporary artist, Adam Cullen.Sleep soundly in your Art Series Signature bed, then block out the morning or wake up to natural light and vibrant energy of Cullen works. Prepare breakfast using in room kitchenette facilities, spectacular views of Melbourne CBD, underground parking, state of the art gymnasium and two exciting restaurants ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Art Series - The Cullen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Art Series - The Cullen Hotel Melbourne
- Art Series - The Cullen Greater Melbourne/Prahran