“I couldn't have asked for a better place to rest my head”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Sydney
“I couldn't have asked for a better place to rest my head”
Reviewed November 25, 2009

For a quick work trip to Melbourne, this hotel became the highlight! A friend had recommended I try The Cullen - for the close-to-the-action location, the dynamic art covering the walls, and the attention to detail. What he didn't tell me about was the crazy colourful mosaic cow that greeted me at the foyer (which you can't help but touch); or about how amazingly helpful and friendly the staff were; or that the Prahran markets were just metres from my doorstep; or about the Terrace restaurant that was fantastic in it's own right. But I'd say the best thing about my stay had to be the heavenly bed and ridiculously comfortable pillows, into which I sank after a long day of work.

My stay was quiet and comfortable and I couldn't have asked for a better place to rest my head for the night. The bold attitude of the artwork and general attention to detail creates an atmosphere of excitement and at the same time, a feeling that 'things are being taken care of' for you.

If you're going stay in a luxury hotel, why not stay in one that gives you all the expected comforts, but also has energy and leaves you feeling like you've discovered something special.

I hear there are a few more of these Art Series hotels planned for next year. I love the concept and can't wait to try them.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Kastch
JoshoMelbourne, Hotel Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, December 20, 2009
Thank you to the author for your review.

It is great that your friend recommended us, thank you for trying us out! It is always pleasing to hear such lovely remarks about our staff; I will make sure they are informed of your review.
We have a number of Hotels planned with The Olsen Hotel opening in March 2010 & The Blackman Hotel opening mid next year. I hope we will see you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Josh O’Brien
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
Sydney
Reviewed November 24, 2009

As you walk through the lobby you are greeted by a mosaic cow.

Reception is clean, welcoming and hosted by amazing staff who are more then happy to help with anything you may need,

Check in was efficient and quick. You have alot to look at while you wait. Adam Cullen has created several artworks specifically for this hotel that are both unique and attention grabbing.

The rooms are spacious and different from any I have ever stayed in before. Featuring several artworks, large opening window or balcony, LCD TV, Kitchenette, Tea & coffee making, Toaster, Microwave, a selection of gourmet mini bar products, ensuite with frosted glass featuring organic amenities.

The hotel has a Fitness Room located on the 6th Floor, Guest laundry on each floor, Room service, Restaurant, and even their own hair salon. Unfortunately the hotel does not have a pool however once The Olsen opens on Chapel St guests will have free of charge access ( I cant wait to go down to Melbourne to check this out as half the pool will be glass and overlooking Chapel St).

During our stay we were advise of places to have a few drinks/eat and somewhere to have coffee (Cafe Dior across the road is amazing ask to see Charlie). Reception staff were some of the best I have come across and I work in the hospitality industry and were able to answer any questions I had regarding the hotel and Adam Cullen with ease.

Check out was efficient and the staff were more then happy to hold our bags while we went shopping on Chapel St (5 min walk) and for us to have photos of the artwork.

I highly recommend this hotel for anyone going to Melbourne who wants their trip to be an experience to remember. I look forward to the other 5 Art Series hotels opening given the 5 star service of the Cullen.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank PrincessBanchie
Beaumaris, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2009

What a Hotel!
Brand new, awesome location, great staff, extroadinary art and it has provided us with an amazing insight into one of Australia's most talented and interesting artists. Not just a hotel - its an education without even realising it! These guys have got it right. We will be back and we have already recommended it to our friends.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 6amClocktower
Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2009

First thing you walked in, you're greeted by this giant bull statue... and you wouldn't miss all the hanging artworks on the walls. How magnificent. We stayed at the Cullen Suite and it was amazing. I love the spaciousness of the suite and for the price that they are advertising i think it's definitely good value for money. For $400+ you get a nice big suite while when we stayed in some unnamed 5 star hotel in the CBD, all i get is a tiny shoebox....

The room itself is richly decorated in chic furniture with matching Cullen artwork prints. I love the little kitchen but can't be bothered about the coffee machine. The bathroom is a bit of a worry... it's made of glass hehehehe. I meant it in a good way of course. Please try and stay here and you'll know what i mean..... =)

Service is excellent. We had dinner at the Terrace and everything is cooked to perfection. It's just a pity that the place is slightly empty, they could do with more patronage. I am definitely coming back and recommending this to everyone i know. Room service breakfast was on time and food was excellent as well. It's the little things that count and they deliver a really high level of service. It definitely feels like a five star hotel treatment nothing less than extraordinary.

One minor thing that got me was i could not for the life of me find the room service book (other than the breakfast menu because it was hanging from the front door).. I asked the reception but they just say it's in the room and for me to go find it... well i looked and it's not there.... so i was a bit let down on that. I'm a frequent solo traveller and i always prefer room service than eating alone in the hotel restaurant. Guess we'll find out next time i stayed there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank madarame_baby
sydney
Reviewed November 16, 2009

brand new hotel - great ambience. chic. great rooms. great service.
stayed with kids who were well looked after.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank kalanjoshua
melbourne
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I have travelled all over the world and stayed in many fine and not so fine hotels. I stayed here on Friday 6th Nov after attending the quiet opening of the restaurant The Terrace.Both the restaurant and The Cullen were absolutely beyond reproach.The food at The Terrace, i only did try the calamari was sensational, I did try all champagnes on the list however, and they were as french should be,,,,,,,6 star..........I then stayed at The Cullen were right from be checking in was professional and amazing with the style, the art, the huge beds and I dare say the mirrored headboard...........the room service breakfast was amazing from The Terrace.......
I checked out after been given a late check out and a warm goodbye,even though outside was about 30 degrees
I was so impressed by all this I checked in again on the Sunday 8th Nov and stayed for 2 nights.......I really didnt want to leave..........all I can say.......is I will be back,and I leave you with this ..............The Cullen IS for you............

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank PrinceLuka
Melbourne
Reviewed November 9, 2009

After staying at the larger chain hotels over the years it was extremely refreshing to stay in the newest boutique hotel in Melbourne. On arrival check in was smooth and quick, staff very friendly and not pretentious at all. Once we were shown to our room (where staff had turned on the air con ready for our arrival due to it being an extremely hot day) we were welcomed with a cheese platter and soft music playing on the rooms Ipod system - a nice touch.
The decor of the room was quirky and bright, with fabulous artwork adorning the walls. The bed and pillows the most comfortable in a hotel room I have slept on. So comfortable that I requested the contact details for the supplier so i can purchase pillows for my home! Our room had a balcony which was great too seeing as 99% of hotels in Melbourne do not balconies or even opening windows!
My boyfriend loved the soft, plush towels in the bathrooms - again a nice change from the bigger hotels where I have stayed ,which are usually quite thin.
It was also a nice touch to have more alternative items in the mini bar - not your average beers and chips but sweets and lovely wines purchased from the local market.
I would definitely stay at The Cullen again... and again... and again. It really is great to see that Melbourne now has such a fabulous boutique hotel which stands out from the crowd!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank regcam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Chapel Street
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,347 reviews
Melbourne Parkview Hotel
#26 of 159 in Melbourne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,679 reviews

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!