“CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD CHARGES AFTER CHECKING OUT!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Art Series - The Cullen

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Sydney, Australia
“CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD CHARGES AFTER CHECKING OUT!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD CHARGES AFTER CHECKING OUT!!! Extra charges for Minibar 3 times in a row!!!

I have never been bothered writing a review before. I know bad... but typical excuse is i'm busy!

I feel compelled to highlight VERY DODGY PRACTICES at the Cullen hotel.The same 'error' occurred to me three stays in a row many weeks apart. I find it hard to believe this is an honest mistake x 3.

I travel regularly for work and I must admit I hate doing my expenses but this time i'm glad of it. I would not have noticed this at all had I not had reconcile my receipts vs my credit card.

For anyone who has stayed there check your receipt vs credit card!!!!!

On check out I always declare, with a little embarrassment, what I had from the Minibar. Usually a water, some chips (and often a sneaky chocky bar). I pay the bill file my receipt and leave.

However I find that that the credit card was charged for a whole heap of other items I did not have!! Maybe a mix up once is tolerable. But I have checked the receipts now that I am alert to this. It happened 3 times in a row many weeks apart.

I look back through my emails and find that they had sent me a followup email with a new receipt and the extra charges. So it looks semi legitimate... But I never had the extra items!! Especially not the last three times in a row. I've snapped a picture of the most recent emailed receipt to show what to look for!!

DODGY!!! VERY DODGY.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Brad M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Greek first
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

The hotel is great and probably my favourite of the three art series hotels in Melbourne (of which I have stayed at each in the last month).The location is fantastic and more vibrant than the hotels on Collins street and the like. Nice and clean and breakfast downstairs was yum. The gym serves it's purpose as well. Service was good while I stayed, however, I did leave a shirt in the room which I was initially told was found and logged by housekeeping, only to be told later (by the same staff member) that it actually hadn't been found and there is no trace of it. I completely understand that the hotel takes no responsibility for my belongings but if something is left in a room (as large and obvious as a shirt hanging in a wardrobe) I would imagine housekeeping wouldn't find it with too much difficulty. At $390AUD per night when I stayed, it was ok and I'd probably stay again, even if only to try to find my shirt.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Hi Jealbags,

Thanks for your kind words, I may be biased but it is also my favourite!

Im sorry to hear about your shirt, We do log everything that we find in our rooms after departure. I will look further into this for you. If you drop me an email to ben_kershaw (at) artserieshotels.com.au. I will follow this up for you.

I look forward to getting to the bottom of this for you.

Regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Spent the weekend @ The Cullen and was once again blown by the standard of the hotel and staff.
Early check in wasn't a problem, I was close to everything I needed and for $216 a night including a delicious breakfast @ Grammercy it was a steal.

Love the art as well, ArtSeries have really nailed the boutique hotel concept. Can't praise it enough

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
HI NeilG85!

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are glad you got to experience everything the hotel had to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Bergerac, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Well positioned in a fun restaurant, boutique area of Melbourne. No views despite the claims to the contrary. A very chic/trendy/arty hotel with simple cafe/restaurant and bar on site. I would avoid rooms low down in case of noise from these as well as noise from the general area.

We had a junior suite on the 6th floor - 601 - nice room with good sized terrace. Room was reasonably sized but cluttered with luggage (see below). Wardrobe (small anyway) full of "stuff" - blanket; iron; ironing board; safe; fuse box etc so storage space really limited - we ended up with bags all over the place. Bathroom small and functional. - Glass walls mean that nighttime excursions are a lights off event unless your partner likes being disturbed. Comfortable bed. Small kitchen was very useful especially with the superb Prahan market across the street.
Avoid 601 and probably 602 - it backs onto the small gym which is available 24/.24 so at 0400 the noise of running machines and doors banging is really unacceptable (the hotel did however, give us a discount after three disturbed nights) and there are toilets across the hallway which are cleaned at midnight or so...... The door to the gym is also the route to the outside smoking area/terrace so the banging doors are very irritating.
The hotel tried to charge for Internet but gave it free when challenged... Hotels need to understand that the internet nowadays is like electricity and needs to be in the price not Aus$10 or so a day... I avoid hotels with chargeable internet now.
Really accommodating staff who tried to help.....
Good value.

Room Tip: Avoid lower floors Avoid 601 and probably 602
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
AJCG,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback.
I apologise for not being able to limit the sound coming from the adjacent Gym in your room. I recall sending our maintenance guys up to have a look at the doors many time over your stay. Unfortunately this was not able to be fixed while you were staying. Im glad the front desk was manage to offer some compensation for this.

Unfortunately Australia is still running behind the rest of the world when it comes to internet in hotels, rest assured that I am looking into this and hopefully in the not to distant future this will be a feature not a chargeable service for your next stay.

Happy Travels!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night.

The good: price reasonable, a small 2-door fridge, microwave in the kitchenette.

The bad: room is crowded with furniture, magazines and booklets; desk lamp stand next to the window/balcony was covered in dust; glass bathroom walls could be annoying at night; aircon not working properly: 19c feels like 27.

The possibly misunderstood: most paintings in corridors and in our room seem dark, depressing and focusing on one theme.

Conclusion: no sure.

Stayed January 2014
Hi Edwardleo,

Great to see your review. My apologies for the dust in the room, I will ensure that this is a focal point for our housekeeping team over the coming weeks. As you may know the was a heat wave in Melbourne recently and all of our A/C was working triple time to keep up with the demand.

Our art is definitely subjective and sometimes not to everyones tastes. Adam Cullen gave his interpretation of the Ned Kelly Story and focused on the darker side that may not have been told properly in the past. If you ever find your self back at the hotel, please join one of our free art tours and our friendly art advocate will take you around and explain the artworks. Tours are every Saturday and start at 10am.

We hope to see you soon!

United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed at The Cullen for a week. It was my first introduction to Australia. I booked in advance and spoke with Ben to let him know this would be my first stay in the country. He booked me in a corner room with a full city skyline view. It was beautiful! My room also overlooked The Emerson, a popular club/lounge so some nights it was a bit loud and other nights I enjoyed the people watching. ;)

When I entered the room, I did feel it was a bit small, but I made it work. The furnishings are nice, simple, eclectic. I liked the bathroom, it was the perfect size for me and had great storage!
As the other reviewers have said, the bed is oh so comfy! Heaven!

I was conveniently in Melbourne for the heatwave. Unfortunately, for one night the A/C broke. The staff was very accommodating and offered to transfer me to another room. I actually elected to stay in my room, which was crazy since it was 96 degrees at night, but I did, and I survived. The A/C was fixed by 10a.

The room showed a little wear and tear, and some areas could have been cleaned a little better, but overall I appreciated the warm reception and friendly staff. Anything I needed, they always responded in a timely manner.

A note about the construction of the building on the corner, directly opposite the main entrance. I faced the construction and even though they began at 7:30a, it didn't bother me and I'm a light sleeper. I kept the shade and curtains closed until I was ready to get up & perhaps that is what worked.

I also liked the location of this hotel. The Prahran Market is right across the street and Chapel Street shopping is so close. There's also a health food store and great gym nearby.

Overall, I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you like to have your meals and/or casual drinks outside, choose a room with balcony. If you like...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hi Lisa!!

Im so glad I was able to catch you before you left!!

thank you for your kind words and I hope to see you on your return!!

Please let me know and I will make sure all of your comments are addressed!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

I loved this hotel.

Have previously stayed at the Blackman and both are great. Of the two, the Cullen wins for me.

I had one of the cheapest rooms and faced a construction site but didn't hear a sound... The beds are to die for - sooo comfortable. The mini bar items are interesting - not run of the mill. The bathroom products ditto.

Any staff I had dealings with were friendly and helpful. The location is great - you can walk and get some fruit etc across the road at the Prahran Market. Spoilt for choice locally to eat as well but no need to leave the hotel if you don't want to. Tried Hutong (YUM) and had roomservice from Gramercy (lovely).

And of course the artwork in the room, and all over the hotel, is just wonderful.

Thanks so much :-) will be back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hi Travelmore!

Thank you for your kind words and review! Im glad the construction did not interrupt your sleep. We also sell our beds directly from AH Beard. They are all custom made specifically for the hotel. Give us a call and we can send you an order form, this however doesn't mean you stop visiting us ;)

we look forward to having you back soon!

Ben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Chapel Street
The Langham, Melbourne
The Langham, Melbourne
#5 of 158 in Melbourne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,169 reviews

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!