“Very comfortable boutique hotel in a great location.”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Cullen for 4 nights to relax and unwind. The service was slick and professional. The Hotel itself was fun and modern and well thought out. The bathroom area could have been a little larger, but all in all very comfortable. We had never stayed in Prahran before and found plenty of good restaurants and shops within walking distance, the Prahran Markets are right across the road from the hotel and we love the fantastic variety and quality of the fresh produce available there.
The only negative to speak of is that there is new building being constructed in the side street adjacent the hotel which was a little noisy after about 7.30 am, but I think you may get a better room rate because of it!

Room Tip: The New construction is in Grattan St, ask for a room on the opposite side.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed September 22, 2013

One night stay - single-bed suite
Booked through agent - $210.00 AUD total incl. breakfast
This hotel gets the important things right, as well as the fine details
Decor is very contemporary & edgy in keeping with its namesake artist, but very tastefully arranged & not overwhelming at all
Amenities are top-notch, & you will want for very little - a sure sign that this is a hotel you can make yourself at home. Check-in & check-out likewise
Mini-bar is reasonably priced, but still expensive considering there are convenience stores & supermarkets a short stroll away
Restaurants are well-appointed, & location is very convenient. Smart cars & bikes available for hire
Very highly recommended for a leisurely stay in Melbourne

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed during the recent British Lions tour - The front desk very helpful and restaurant excellent for late arrivals as it serves meals till late. Stayed in studio suite which was good size and very quiet. Very close to all the amenities of Chapel Street.

Room Tip: Construction opposite west side rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This boutique hotel is amazing. I wont stay anywhere else in Melbourne. Just had another long weekend there this weekend. I cant fault anything, from the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff. Rooms are fabulous and always spotless. Minor details are not missed, from the Evo bathroom amenities to the morning paper under your door. Dont forget to have a cocktail at Gramercy or some dumplings at HuTong Peking Duck & Dumpling Restaurant. I cant wait to be back next month.

Room Tip: When booking request a standby upgrade. The junior penthouses are fabulous and the penthouses are A...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

It's not a hard life when you have to stay here every other week for work - actually I don't have to stay here, I choose to because it is my favourite place other than home. The front desk team are unfailingly helpful, friendly and professional all in one. The rooms are exactly what you want from a boutique hotel - whether it's the least expensive or one of the art-themed suites, all are well-furnished and stylish. Small extras like lovely tea, good toiletries and very comfortable beds with great linen make it feel so much more personal than a corporate sleep-box. There's a small but perfectly formed gym and the hotel has a fantastic restaurant to rely on. The Gramercy continues to delight me even after more than a year of eating there every other week. I am inspired to finally write this review, that I have been meaning to do for months, after a meltingly great snapper just enjoyed for dinner. I could also recommend you plan your itinerary around Steak night Tuesday. The only small 'brickbat' shared with a previous reviewer was the small service gaps from the room care team - hardly enough to mention but I want to be balanced! This really is a great spot for all occasions - business or pleasure. The only reason I haven't brought my husband for pleasure yet is knowing he will realize how easy my stay-away actually is and all sympathy for having to travel every other week will be lost. Before I know it he'll be sending me with the kids too.

1  Thank AmandaESNZ
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here recently on Business - it was my second visit and it's now one of my favourite hotels. The service is very friendly, I received an upgrade to a junior suite and in my room was a hand written note welcoming me back and a fresh pastry! I love the art work and decour, such a welcoming change to the usual drab hotel interiors. The bed was especially comfortable facing a decent size HD TV. Great food and coffee from Gramercy Cafe on the ground floor. Not nessarliy the best location for City meetings but perfect for St Kilda road.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a junior suite for more spacious room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Hi there Balmaintragic!

I hope you indulged in the slice, they are hand made in our kitchen down at the Olsen by our wonder check Demi! I find it hard to resist when I sit next to them all day!!

Glad you enjoyed your upgrade those rooms are excellent!!

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Ben & The Cullen Crew

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel is my favourite in Melbourne - exceptional front of house service - great art work and everyone so willing to assist and help. Sarah who does the art tour of the Cullen works is amazing! A few brickbats for back of house who sometimes left my room not quite sorted each day I was there but hey ho - all in all, my second stay here and I cannot think of staying anywhere else in Melbourne. There is a light switch in the bathroom for additional lighting so ignore Xena's comments - it is simply the best location re - eating, drinking and tram trips - go for it

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Commercial Road are the best if you like to see the the local action - there is no...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Boodgie,

Happy to hear you enjoyed your second stay with us! I hope to welcome you many more times in the future. I will make sure I pass on your housekeeping comments to the team, as always any feedback is good feedback!

Our Art Advocate, Sarah will be thrilled to hear your comments, and yes every Saturday she does the art tour, you can even attended if you are not staying at the hotel!

Thanks again for your feedback!!

Ben

Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Art Series - The Blackman
Chinatown
Ovolo Laneways
Ovolo Laneways
#14 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!