“Gorgeous boutique style, vibrant artwork, excellent service & dining experience!”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I love the Art Series hotels, they are comfortable and have a gorgeous arty unique design. The colourful artwork throughout by Adam Cullen keeps it interesting! The rooms are small but well appointed, they have everything you need, including a kitchenette. The only thing is finding a powerpoint to use without having to unplug the clock or a lamp. As I mainly travel for work I always have my laptop or tablet & phone so I like to plug them in next to my bed but there's not enough power points there. The hotel is great value, the service is fantastic. One thing about Melbourne is that it is hard to get a cab, they have their own private drivers they call on to pick you up, they're very reliable, nice cars and a great added personalised service. I had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant, a great selection of dishes for both and for a Thursday evening the atmosphere was great & again the service was good! Next time I hope I'll get to try it as a leisure hotel and enjoy the facilities, the bar and the hairdressing salon in the lobby! I love the clever social media promotions the art series hotels do too, follow them on Facebook, they're engaging & great! Looking forward to a return visit sometime.

• Stayed: August 2013
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Hi Jacqui!

Great to see you while you were here!

I will make sure the next time you stay we have a power board on hand to let you work more freely!

Please get in touch when you are next in Melbourne, We would love to have you back!

Ben

Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel. We're staying in a serviced "apartment" although very small, it's nice. My one and only gripe is there are way to many mirrors all over the building. And to much in stupid places. Coming out of the lift the edges are mirrored, and you just don't see them. I hurt my shoulder walking into it on the first morning. That apart, the Cullen is excellent. The art is not to my taste but hey, it makes it interesting.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The rooms are interesting and they were clean - no complaints there. However, they put me (the bride to be) and my sister in the Junior Penthouse Suite right next to the hotel gym (and hotel toilets) - I got maybe 2 hours sleep... between the toilets being cleaned in the early hours of the morning and the first guest jumping on the treadmill at 5am... it was like they were jogging in our room - no insulation in the walls. Needless to say I won't be going back or recommending to friends/family.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Melbs1983

Hi Melbs1983,

I am sorry to hear of you recent experience. This is definitely not the experience we want for our guest, let alone a bride to be on the eve of your big day.

I would love to discuss this further with you in person, please feel free to contact me at the hotel on +61 3 9098 1555 or my email is ben_kershaw@artserieshotels.com.au

I hope to speak with you soon

Reviewed August 26, 2013

The staff made a great trip simply perfect...! They were so welcoming, helpful and accommodating in every respect. Our room was stunning, the smart car rental was brilliant and allowed us to cover so considerable ground despite just being there for the weekend. I'll certainly be back.

Tip of the hat to the, 'Art Series', you really know how to deliver a memorable experience to your guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DarrylDavies
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Hi There DarrylDavies,

Thanks for leaving a review! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Cullen!

Lucky getting the SMART car, it is a hot item here at the hotel and you are right it is so easy to get around and see much more of Melbourne!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!!

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

This is my second art series hotel stay (previously the Olsen) and I have to say the concept is worthy of a better effort. Staff, rooms, minibar, etc are all fine but the art motif is rendered somewhat gimmicky when undercut with inexcusable cheapness with toiletries--two Evo shampoos and conditioners in a twin share but only ONE moisturizer and reused at that (topped up by housekeeping and possibly with inferior product whether new guests or old)--and no wifi (you pay high rates hourly or daily for a third party to supply high-speed Internet, like in a old business aptmt!). Thus the chain's positioning as a niche from some ghastly multinational is made bare :(

Hi Constantchewer,

Thank you for taking your time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. Pleased to read you enjoyed most of our offerings!

Just to clarify a couple of points you raised:

Apologies that the amenities were not up to your standard, we absolutely do not reuse or refill with a substitute any of our amenities and they are replaced for every new guest, I can only assume that somehow this may have been missed when your room was cleaned and I have bought this up with our Executive Housekeeper to avoid a similar situation in the future.

Our internet is competitively priced for Melbourne, $9.95 for 24 hours. Some hotels you may still be paying up to $30. We do offer 50% off our Wifi if you are a Priority Rewards Guest, which anyone can join online for free, you also get discounts across our portfolio of hotels. It's worth having a look at!

Constantchewer once again thank you for your feedback & I do invite you to contact myself at the hotel directly if you wish to discuss any of these points further in person.

Ben Kershaw
Front Office Manager

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The staff are great. Room service whilst ok, had a habit of missing things off on a couple of occasions, which was sorted quickly by reception, but I did not feel I should have to chase for clean bathmat, shampoo etc). The beds are still to die for and that is the main reason for my continued and ongoing patronage. I will return as I like the hotel, the people, the location and the manager!

thanks again guys, see you next trip

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul K

Hi Paul,

As always a pleasure having you stay with us!

I have made a note on your profile to make sure that we double check your room to ensure nothing is missed during your long stays.

You can order beds through the hotel, however shipping to the UK may bit a little expensive, just makes you look forward to returning even more!

See you soon!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We love the Cullen. Sadly they forgot to service our room last Friday despite the sign on the door! While fixed quickly it was inconvenient and irritating at the end of a very busy work day. Perhaps this is one system they can improve.

1  Thank Warren K

Hi Warren,

Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback on you recent stay, I'm glad you have fallen in love with the hotel!

I have brought the room servicing issues to the attention of our Housekeeping department. I can completely understand it would be the last thing you want to have done after a busy day.

Please let me know if and when you return and I will make sure everything is in order for your arrival.

Ben Kershaw

Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Art Series - The Blackman
Chinatown
Ovolo Laneways
Ovolo Laneways
#14 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!