Art Series - The Cullen
$61
Toorak Manor(Toorak)
$70
$68
St. Kilda Junction Accommodation(St Kilda)(Great Value!)
$119
  • Fitness center
$104
$76
  • Restaurant
Pullman Melbourne Albert Park(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$126
Hotel Claremont(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$49
$45
  • Breakfast included
Mantra St Kilda Road(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$119
$105
  • Bar/Lounge
1,274 results
All reviewsfrosted glassprahran marketacross the roadchapel streetroom servicerestaurant downstairsjunior penthousefunky hotelfantastic hoteldumplingschinese restaurantcomfortable bedsgreat showersmall kitchenettecafes and restaurantsned kellyyour doorstep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

nice boutique hotel if you are working south of the city. undercover parking. two restaurants in the building. comfy bed and small spa in barhroom. gym is oretty small. some tram noise in rooms but overall good
smsll kitchen for cooking is a bonus.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Confronted by the bold neon brush stroked paintings by the hotel's namesake, artist Adam Cullen, I thought 'this is dam cool'. I was greeted by a casual reception with a distinctly Melbournian friendliness, the first impression being positive.
The hotel is in the vein of Philippe Starck's St John's in London (which is fabulous by the way) in its unapologetic modernness. It's fun, it's well kept and well run.

The room (or suite shall I say) is gorgeous. Though no larger than the typical hotel room in which I've stayed, and with black joinery and furniture, incredibly it feels very spacious. Bed very comfy, shower temperate perfect as was the pressure, and a well appointed kitchenette. A plus, you can open a sliver of the window.

The only negative is that I think they whoever cleaned the room isn't that happy. It lacked the care and detailing you'd expect from such an establishment (such as arranging the mini-grooming products). Picky? Yes, but I hold The Cullen to a high standard because I liked it so much.

The location is fantastic for foodies with the Prahan fresh food markets a block away. I highly recommend the coffee shop across the road (the sign says 'Cafe + Bar'). We tried both hotel restaurants and enjoyed both immensely. Turn down Grafton St for a cute cafe/retail strip, or head to Chapel Street. South Yarra is nearby with a great vibe too.

I'd happily stay here again. I preferred it to The Olsen because I liked the art more- though both locations are equally good.

• Stayed: March 2013
AliciaBrownCullen, General Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

A notch up on the Olsen hey? Nothing like a bit of competition - we like it!

NixGreen you have certainly summed up the hotel and the area very nicely, we thank you for this and hope you get to pop into our neighborhood sometime again.

We will talk to the housekeeping staff about staying on top of the points you have mentioned - thanks for the heads up.

Thanks,
Alicia & Cullen Crew

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Yet again, the only place to stay when I am on business in Melbourne. Said it before, but I will say it again the beds are to die for! After 24hrs on a plane from the UK, a comfortable bed is the number one priority for me and of any great hotel and the Cullen's are simply the best. Alicia and the team always make me feel welcome here and with Prahran market over the road and Chapel st full of restaurants on your doorstep you will never go hungry...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Paul - you are too kind!

See you again in a few months..

Cheers,
Cullen Crew

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Hubby and I stayed here again recently. We did so around this time last year and once more, The Cullen can only please!
Hubby asked for a nice quiet room which was very much provided - The Crew are just sooo good - nothing ever seems to phase them. The artwork by AC just brings a smile to our faces all the time.
We had a studio this visit, which still had a great bathroom, kitchinette, lounge and ohh, dont forget the bed! This is the ONLY hotel where my husband sleeps when he's travelling. The bed is the mostcomfortable bed we ever sleep in - we even asked about them on check out. Yes, that good that you can buy them from the hotel.

Breakfast was taken once in the hotel which was good, nothing to complain about at all.

The Cullen is very well located if you like this side of town - easy access to the tram with main train line being a quick walk up the road so its easy to get into the city. As normal, great shopping in Prahran.
Cant WAIT to return!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Well we can't wait to have you back! Seems like we are Tick, Tick, Ticking all the right boxes for you guys.

Yes you sure can buy the beds - some of the crew actually have!

Hope to see you soon,

Alicia Brown

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I don't even know where to begin with review, particularly when you fork out money to stay for 2 whole weeks at this hotel based on a friends recommendation.

The rooms at this hotel were rather appalling. Staying in the suite room I found it rather small. It was advertised incorrectly as well; I was with family, thus it was mutually decided amongst all we'd have to get another room due to the fact the amount of beds advertised did not correlate with the amount in the room.

Things only got worse from here. The staff at the table upon our arrival were discourteous and insouciant. We were made to feel like such an imposition checking in. After we'd finally settled in etc, the first thing we saw were two foreigners copulating on the balcony...now this was all rectified by management swiftly which was good (which is the story of how we got the free room). Obviously we were mortified...these people were not even part of the HOTEL.

A few days two friends & I were in the gym. A few days after all those work outs, one of the receptionists had asked fi that was us 'working out' on the balcony area as the staff were all laughing and watching (What for?). Why would you even approach your own clientele with such an atrocious manner? Why would you even WATCH your customers work out? It's good to see the place is on ball with the security.

So as if this wasn't bad enough, a few months later I went to claim priority points on my card, only to be told I can't have them. WHAT???

Never in my life have I experienced such a poor hotel. From the rooms, to the service...to everything. The saving grace here is only the restaurant downstairs which is separate to the hotel.

I'm sorry, but this place should be avoided at all costs. The biggest waste was the fact we spent thousands of dollars here for a party of 5 for 2 whole weeks.

- Keegan

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Keegan S
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Good Afternoon Keegan,

First of all let me offer my apologies for the experience you have had during your stay with us at the Cullen. This is most definitely not the type of stay we wish our guests to have.

As this is quite a serious complaint I would like to discuss this with you over the phone. I can be contacted at the hotel all week (except Mondays and Tuesdays).

Please contact me so we can discuss.

Kind Regards,