Confronted by the bold neon brush stroked paintings by the hotel's namesake, artist Adam Cullen, I thought 'this is dam cool'. I was greeted by a casual reception with a distinctly Melbournian friendliness, the first impression being positive.
The hotel is in the vein of Philippe Starck's St John's in London (which is fabulous by the way) in its unapologetic modernness. It's fun, it's well kept and well run.
The room (or suite shall I say) is gorgeous. Though no larger than the typical hotel room in which I've stayed, and with black joinery and furniture, incredibly it feels very spacious. Bed very comfy, shower temperate perfect as was the pressure, and a well appointed kitchenette. A plus, you can open a sliver of the window.
The only negative is that I think they whoever cleaned the room isn't that happy. It lacked the care and detailing you'd expect from such an establishment (such as arranging the mini-grooming products). Picky? Yes, but I hold The Cullen to a high standard because I liked it so much.
The location is fantastic for foodies with the Prahan fresh food markets a block away. I highly recommend the coffee shop across the road (the sign says 'Cafe + Bar'). We tried both hotel restaurants and enjoyed both immensely. Turn down Grafton St for a cute cafe/retail strip, or head to Chapel Street. South Yarra is nearby with a great vibe too.
I'd happily stay here again. I preferred it to The Olsen because I liked the art more- though both locations are equally good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Prahran, Melbourne, The Cullen is inspired by Adam Cullen. Daring and unique, The Cullen features lashings of original artwork and prints by Australia’s most exciting contemporary artist, Adam Cullen.Sleep soundly in your Art Series Signature bed, then block out the morning or wake up to natural light and vibrant energy of Cullen works. Prepare breakfast using in room kitchenette facilities, spectacular views of Melbourne CBD, underground parking, state of the art gymnasium and two exciting restaurants ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Hotwire, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Art Series - The Cullen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Art Series - The Cullen Hotel Melbourne
- Art Series - The Cullen Greater Melbourne/Prahran