“6th stay!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Crawley, United Kingdom
“6th stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Yet again, the only place to stay when I am on business in Melbourne. Said it before, but I will say it again the beds are to die for! After 24hrs on a plane from the UK, a comfortable bed is the number one priority for me and of any great hotel and the Cullen's are simply the best. Alicia and the team always make me feel welcome here and with Prahran market over the road and Chapel st full of restaurants on your doorstep you will never go hungry...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AliciaBrownCullen, General Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Paul - you are too kind!

See you again in a few months..

Cheers,
Cullen Crew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Greek first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Hubby and I stayed here again recently. We did so around this time last year and once more, The Cullen can only please!
Hubby asked for a nice quiet room which was very much provided - The Crew are just sooo good - nothing ever seems to phase them. The artwork by AC just brings a smile to our faces all the time.
We had a studio this visit, which still had a great bathroom, kitchinette, lounge and ohh, dont forget the bed! This is the ONLY hotel where my husband sleeps when he's travelling. The bed is the mostcomfortable bed we ever sleep in - we even asked about them on check out. Yes, that good that you can buy them from the hotel.

Breakfast was taken once in the hotel which was good, nothing to complain about at all.

The Cullen is very well located if you like this side of town - easy access to the tram with main train line being a quick walk up the road so its easy to get into the city. As normal, great shopping in Prahran.
Cant WAIT to return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Well we can't wait to have you back! Seems like we are Tick, Tick, Ticking all the right boxes for you guys.

Yes you sure can buy the beds - some of the crew actually have!

Hope to see you soon,

Alicia Brown
Perth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I don't even know where to begin with review, particularly when you fork out money to stay for 2 whole weeks at this hotel based on a friends recommendation.

The rooms at this hotel were rather appalling. Staying in the suite room I found it rather small. It was advertised incorrectly as well; I was with family, thus it was mutually decided amongst all we'd have to get another room due to the fact the amount of beds advertised did not correlate with the amount in the room.

Things only got worse from here. The staff at the table upon our arrival were discourteous and insouciant. We were made to feel like such an imposition checking in. After we'd finally settled in etc, the first thing we saw were two foreigners copulating on the balcony...now this was all rectified by management swiftly which was good (which is the story of how we got the free room). Obviously we were mortified...these people were not even part of the HOTEL.

A few days two friends & I were in the gym. A few days after all those work outs, one of the receptionists had asked fi that was us 'working out' on the balcony area as the staff were all laughing and watching (What for?). Why would you even approach your own clientele with such an atrocious manner? Why would you even WATCH your customers work out? It's good to see the place is on ball with the security.

So as if this wasn't bad enough, a few months later I went to claim priority points on my card, only to be told I can't have them. WHAT???

Never in my life have I experienced such a poor hotel. From the rooms, to the service...to everything. The saving grace here is only the restaurant downstairs which is separate to the hotel.

I'm sorry, but this place should be avoided at all costs. The biggest waste was the fact we spent thousands of dollars here for a party of 5 for 2 whole weeks.

- Keegan

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Keegan S
Ben K, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Good Afternoon Keegan,

First of all let me offer my apologies for the experience you have had during your stay with us at the Cullen. This is most definitely not the type of stay we wish our guests to have.

As this is quite a serious complaint I would like to discuss this with you over the phone. I can be contacted at the hotel all week (except Mondays and Tuesdays).

Please contact me so we can discuss.

Kind Regards,

Ben Kershaw
Front Office Manager.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was looking for somewhere to get away with the man and stumbled across a 72 hour sale one the Art Series hotels (always wanted to stay there anyway). It was great! We stayed at the basic studio suite. The room was really cute, immaculately clean, the staff were nice (especially the cleaning staff were super-friendly!! kudos to them!). The restaurant downstairs is quite nice, we didn't get much out of the Prahran Market (public holiday), but I would recommend it to any visitor. One of the best places I've stayed at in Melbourne so far!!

Room Tip: The view was a bit non-event, as we were facing construction, but hopefully that will be completed s...
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Located in trendy Prahran, the Cullen is delightfully located close to Chapel road for those needing a shopping fix. I stayed there because it was close to the Alfred Hospital, where i was working for the week. A full service hotel, the staff were forever helpful and seemed to enjoy their work. Maybe it's all the artwork on the walls. The hotel's quirky layout and the art deco decor in the rooms is a great change from the stuffy standard rooms you get with the major hotel chains. For food you can eat at either of the on-site restaurants, the NY style bistro or Chinese, both open till late and provide excellent food. I chose to also collect some food items from the Prahran Markets, just across the road and I made good use of the kichenette in my room. Another plus for the business traveler. A definite winner for me.

Room Tip: I chose a studio with balcony, great city views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Had a wonderful time at The Cullen. In a great part of town and could not fault rooms or staff. Very quiet and a short walk to Greville St and of course Chapel St. Spoilt for choice with restaurants and cafes. We would not hesitate to stay there again!

Kerang, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had a wonderful night staying at The Cullen. Their service was excellent, from their phone call the day before to check our arrival time right through until check out, nothing seemed to be too much trouble. They even left a personalised welcome note for us........delightful! The location with the Prahran Market opposite and so many dining choices nearby was very convenient. The room was spacious, light and airy, and very well appointed. We really enjoyed our stay and would have no hesitation in recommending The Cullen.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for a glowing review Sue - we like to turn on all the bells and whistles!

Come and stay again soon,
Alicia & Cullen Crew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Chapel Street
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,267 reviews
Melbourne Parkview Hotel
#27 of 159 in Melbourne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,616 reviews

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!