“Fantastic art, service and rooms - highly recommended!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Art Series - The Cullen

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
“Fantastic art, service and rooms - highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We found the rooms to be very well designed and beautifully appointed. From our arrival the staff were extremely helpful and proactive. Unfortunately nearby Chapel St is not what it once was - it has been overtaken by retail chains and was generally dirty. The Cullen is still only a few minutes to either the CBD or St Kilda, so still worth staying there. Outstanding stay, would definitely recommend!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Greek first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have now stayed at the Cullen Hotel twice and both times were amazing! This time I stayed for 3 nights and upon arrival I was sick and arrived at the hotel 4 hours early. They knew I wasn't well so they made sure I had my room ready, and they also made me a hot lemon, honey drink, and brought it up to my room with my luggage. The customer service was exceptional and the location is perfect. Across the road are the Prahran markets and around the corner is Chapel st. As everyone else has mentioned the bed and pillows were so comfy and the room was a good size. everyday I called housekeeping for milk, tea and coffee and they brought the items up to me straight away. Housekeeping were lovely, friendly people. This hotel is fabulous, and I cannot wait to return to Vic so I can stay at the other two Art Series Hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

The Cullen is a very eclectic boutique arty sort of hotel, perfect for couples but not so much families like ourselves. The hotel doesn't have a swimming pool or many facilities, guests have the option to use the pool of the nearby Olsen which was beautiful but I personally would just stay at the Olsen instead.. The rooms were nicely done and had amazing set outs and views as well. The hotel was centrally located in a great location and had close proximity to nearby shopping and restaurants etc. Overall a pleasant stay but will probably stay at the Olsen next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Broome, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Well ... if I was to judge the hotel on my feeling's about my stay The Cullen would actually score a dismal 2 out of 5. Yes visually the hotel is interesting, though the art is not to my taste, the rooms are to a good standard. The phrase smoke and mirrors may well be apt here.

The room service is pretty poor. Twice the bed was not made correctly, a large bag of their rubbish was left at in my room and the kitchen area was untouched. I was also mysteriously charged for minibar stuff when I never used it ... this was waived at check out but I would like to know where it originated from. Sink and toilet not cleaned adequately.

IMPORTANT -
The real shock and DO TAKE NOTE, was that we were REQUIRED TO PAY $100 A NIGHT EXTRA AS A ROOM BOND FOR USING A DEBIT CARD (for us that was $400 extra) We were not informed of this procedure before we arrived and could have been caught out, I simply refused to pay it anyway and they 'Kindly waived it because we didn't know about it'. Furthermore the guy told us of the other two recent customers who had been caught out by this system (I'm not surprised Cullen, why are you?) A real shock was the inability of the reception to get ANY FINANCIAL ASPECT of our stay correct.
WRONG ROOM RATES on check-in documentation, which they tried to bill us and make us sign for. I was kindly informed by the reception that 'they would honour the correct rate this time' - Little did they care that they didn't actually have a choice in the matter anyway.
UNEXPECTED DEPOSITS for debit card use as mentioned above,
ADDITIONAL ROOM CHARGES for a night which actually didn't exist (obviously waived but a nasty surprise at check-out)
MYSTERIOUS MINIBAR BILL

Additionally reception not keeping us informed of tasks that they supposedly had in hand, but actually didn't. Thank goodness for one or two employees that are actually switched on or the place may grind to a halt.

The travel cards that the hotel offered us to use in the morning but forgot and actually gave out to other people so obviously ran out of them.

Top tips get a MYKI travel card ($6) from nearby shops (look for the green sign) and charge it up for use on the local transport system as you will need it unless driving. No more cash taken on trams etc.
Very regular Tram 72 stops outside at traffic lights to left of hotel on commercial rd. Easy trip in to Melb and back.
Chapel Street to right of hotel - tons of food places and shopping beyond human capacity.

Oh and Star bus shuttle straight to and from airport, $20 a person and seems the best way to travel there. Otherwise Skybus is slower and less efficient or a $60 Taxi. Hotel will book for you or do it online yourself, but also check that the hotel has actually bothered to do it for you first!

Enjoy

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at the Cullen hotel in Prahran over Xmas . We had two rooms-a studio suite for my husband and myself and a twin room for 3 teenagers (2 queen beds). The hotel is in a very convenient spot close to the tram and train into the city and just a 2 min walk to popular Chapel St which has many shops and restaurants. The hotel is also directly across from the Prahran food market which was ideal for stocking up on nibbles. Around the corner is a supermarket and Dan Murphys bottle shop. The hotel itself is small but has a gym but no pool. The rooms are funky with art works from the artist Adam Cullen (all 3 hotels focus on one artist) and designer furniture. Beds are very comfortable and rooms dark, the shower has good pressure (no bath-maybe in penthouse) at the time of our stay they had a special overstay promo due to hotels being quieter over Christmas. You can ring reception early on your day of departure and see if you can have a late checkout. We got a free night for two rooms! The staff are young but attentive and unpretentious. Don't stay in a boring white on white impersonal hotel-stay here!!!

Room Tip: Keep an eye out for promo and join up as a member-it's free
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MattGuy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear MissJaneAustralia,

You sound like you work for us! Living fearlessly is certainly what we do best, I'm glad we got to share this mantra. Sounds like you made use of the Overstay Checkout, one of our more brilliant ideas - if you love the hotel, why should you check out?

Be sure to spread the word! I hope to meet you next time you are in Melbourne.

rome
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Had four nights here. Rooms large (not mad on the artwork) but not in it enough to worry about it. Service excellent and both Grammercy coffee bar and Chinese restaurant downstairs were excellent. Something we did find annoying was that the modern vanity basins did not drain well and were difficult to flush out after use.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kerry b
Hey Kerry,

Sounds like you made the most of Melbourne Summer (or what we have of it) and didnt spend much time upstairs. Sorry about the sink - I'm sure it was just the drain. Maintenance can fix any niggles in two seconds, just be sure to let us know when it happens.

Will be great to have you back soon,

Maroochydore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed the second time. Everything was as good except this time for the disappointing housekeeping service. The toiletries were not completely refilled even on my first day. Nothing was replenished and every night I found myself running out of tea bags or toiletries. I have never seen tea bags were put either upside down or with the back facing outside!! Obviously the housekeeper did not really appreciate her job. My room was dusty and I could write on the bedside lamp with my finger. It ruined my stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Hi MaroochydoreLam,

It sounds like Housekeeping missed the mark during your recent stay. I have brought up your comments to our Executive Housekeeper and would like to apologise for the poor level of service you experienced. As you know, this is not how we do things at Cullen. If you wish to discuss further, please contact the hotel and ask for myself.

Regards,

Matt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Chapel Street
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,159 reviews
Melbourne Parkview Hotel
#25 of 158 in Melbourne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,570 reviews

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!