“Poor housekeeping”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed the second time. Everything was as good except this time for the disappointing housekeeping service. The toiletries were not completely refilled even on my first day. Nothing was replenished and every night I found myself running out of tea bags or toiletries. I have never seen tea bags were put either upside down or with the back facing outside!! Obviously the housekeeper did not really appreciate her job. My room was dusty and I could write on the bedside lamp with my finger. It ruined my stay.

• Stayed: December 2012
MattGuy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Hi MaroochydoreLam,

It sounds like Housekeeping missed the mark during your recent stay. I have brought up your comments to our Executive Housekeeper and would like to apologise for the poor level of service you experienced. As you know, this is not how we do things at Cullen. If you wish to discuss further, please contact the hotel and ask for myself.

Regards,

Matt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,196)

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've been a resident at this hotel for over 18 months now and it really is a home away from home. All the staff from the front desk through to the cleaning and maintenance are friendly, courteous with no request too small or large. The rooms are spacious with all the amenities that you would require for a short or a long stay.

The Cullen is perfectly located if you don’t want to be right in the city. It’s a 20 minute tram, bus or train ride to the city, but has an enormous choice of restaurants, cafes, shopping, pubs and clubs within walking distance from the hotel.

For those looking at the longer stay there are also the full range of Coles, Safeways (Woolworths) and Audi, as well as banks, post office, medical centres, The Alfred Hospital, physios, hairdressers and the other essentials. And if you are not sure, just ask any of the staff at the front desk.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Kate J, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Thank you so much for great feedback.

We have many long term residents who make The Cullen their home year round or month by month. It is so great to hear that you found your resident experience enjoyable.

Hopefully we look forward to welcoming you home again soon.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed here for my partners and my birthday in November. The room was nice and surprisingly quiet given that it was on the 3rd floor and on the commercial road side. The cleaning staff do a great job and are really lovely.

What did not please us was the rudeness of the receptionist on the day of check out when we enquired about the total for the room. The response from the girl on the front desk when we said that we had joined their membership program in order to secure a discount on the rate was quite snide when she said "oh...I thought it was more expensive than that - ha ha, oh well". We stayed for a Saturday and Sunday night and were charged $600 for a studio room. Seriously, how much more would you like to gouge us??

I've since had to book accommodation in the area but have found another gem close to this hotel which is also boutique, new and has wonderful staff for 1/3 of the price. It's a no brainer that I won't be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi MissMidgyD,

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I am quite surprised though to learn of your unhappiness with the reception staff upon check-out. Our staff do like to have a joke and try to make our guests feel at ease by being a little informal, I can only assume this caused a misunderstanding in the way the staffmember confirmed your rate. For this I apologise. Our rates are dynamic - they move in line with special events and our occupancy, however Priority Guest members will always get the best rate available.

If you would like to discuss further, please contact the hotel and ask for myself. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Regards,

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed one night at The Cullen . Very modern and clean contemporary feel with design appeal and art works of variable interest .
Staff - quite excellent , courteous and very helpful
The room on second level was large , well designed ,good facilities (small kitchenette, lounge chair ,desk ,safe) and the bed very comfortable
Comments :Did not like the shower curtain in the bathroom. However it was used, the rest of the bathroom floor got very wet and messy.It would seem fairly obvious that a glass door/ enclosure would work a lot better. I would have also expected a wider choice of bathroom cosmetics
Also I find the charge for WiFi annoying in any hotel but to be fair to The Cullen the charge is $9.95 per day - The Como nearby charges about $30 per day I travel widely overseas and I notice the trend is for the better hotels not to charge for WiFi
Location is excellent - immediately opposite the Prahran market and close to Toorak Road
The cafe on the ground level offered very adequate food at reasonable cost
Would stay again

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank newmarket18

Hi Newmarket, thanks for your review,

Thank you for your comments regarding our staff and wonderful rooms. We only have a few shower curtains dotted around the hotel, mainly there to provide access for people with limited mobility. Mention your bathroom request to the reservations staff next time you book and we can be sure to allocate something different. Also dont forget to ask the front desk staff for some local secrets before you head out.

I hope to see you soon,

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Let me start by saying you will not regret choosing this hotel!

I travel quite regularly to Melbourne, both for work and pleasure. I also travel at least twice a year overseas and usually stay in your run-of-the-mill Westin/Sofitel/Hilton/Shangri-La/Marriott type hotels. Well, not anymore, especially whenever I'm next in Melbourne!

We were a party of 4 (incl a 3 yo) who wanted to spend a relaxing 3 days in Melbourne to shop and visit family who were living in nearby Toorak. We were initially booked into the Marriott but decided to try the Cullen when my daughter reminded me of a pleasant stay last year at the Art Series the Blackman. Here's a summary of why we love the Cullen:

1. Genuinely friendly and caring staff: all reception staff were! Right from the moment we checked in to the time we left, they were nothing but friendly and easygoing while wonderfully efficient. Example: we had to go across town to dinner one night and were in a dilemma, time- and money-wise, about whether to take a taxi or hop on public transport. The new public transport ticketing system made this choice rather difficult. While deliberating, Mel and the other girls at reception took the initiative to phone the taxi company for a quote, looked up the tram and train routes and helped us reach a decision. They even offered to lend us their train/tram debit cards just so we could have as many available options of transportation as possible. We felt like we were family to them! And when I rang the Cullen about the iPad I'd left behind after checking out, they responded quickly with genuine concern, and were able to locate the iPad and return it to me within less than 30 minutes. Nothing was too much trouble for these wonderful people!

2. Unique, cool hotel decor: the artwork is ultra-cool, the room layout spaciously modern, well-equipped and clean! Loved the little kitchenette; complete with pots and pans yet tidily tucked away so not to intrude on the overall feel of the room. The bathroom is funky (ours had a stencil drawing of Ned Kelly on the frosted glass!), although a little compact. I can understand why some people thought the frosted glass and gap in the bathroom door offered little privacy - I'd suggest booking a two bed two bath suite. Otherwise, the lovely-fragranced range of toiletries (and their amusing descriptions) would surely not fail to delight (my 15 yo liked them even more than the Bvlgari range at the Conrad Maldives!).

3. Central, convenient location: the hotel is around the corner from all the shopping and restaurant choices of Chapel Street, around the corner from a train station, and of course the trams. Prahran market across the road was good for a morning stroll; my 3 yo very much enjoyed the farm animals and face-painting sessions while we sampled fresh produce.

If I had to name one downside, it would be the lack of facilities for kids such as swimming pool. Having said that, my 3 yo enjoyed our stay so much, she cried and wanted to go back to 'the nice hotel' when we were leaving.

Forget the big chain hotels and book your Melbourne stay at the Cullen - you will have a fantastic experience!

Room Tip: We asked for a room 'at the back' because my mother is a light sleeper. We were very pleased...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
MattGuy, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Hi Megleigh (and family),

Firstly, I want to thank you for trying something different and giving us a go. We have always aimed to 'go against the chain' with our hotels, creating places to stay that are unique and inspiring for all ages. Our staff come off as genuine and caring because thats exactly who they are - they enjoy coming to work and it shows when they interact with guests.

I could pick apart your review and thank you for each comment, but I think you are preaching to the choir. I do want to say it was a pleasure meeting you and your family, and we look forward to catching up again.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed at the Cullen last Thursday night as a surprise from my husband. We had one of the rooms with the balcony right up the top near the gym. The room was spotless and lovely and bright. It was great to sit on the balcony and watch the world go by in the sunshine. We had cocktails downstairs they were lovely didn't eat there though the food did look great that was coming out. They even left me a birthday surprise. I think its a great place for couples not so much kids as no baths or swimming pools.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Happy Birthday Kathryn!

Sounds like you had a lovely time up in one of our Junior Penthouses. Thanks for your feedback on Gramercy - our newest addition. They certainly do a wonderful job handling breakfast, lunch, dinner and 24hr room service, all the while making cocktails at the bar!

I hope we see you again soon,

Reviewed December 11, 2012

What a pleasant surprise it was to stay at The Cullen in Prahran recently for a friends wedding in Melbourne. We were recommended to stay here by the bride and groom and it lived up to the recommendation perfectly.
The staff were friendly and very helpful (especially when our smart card for the door locks kept on going blank) and the decor of the hotel is very contemporary and fresh.
The room was large and bright and had windows that we could open for fresh air which makes a nice change.
We borrowed the hotel bikes and explored Melbourne for an afternoon in the saddle, which is a great way to see heaps and not get sore feet from walking.
Don't forget to join the art series priority rewards card programme as you get a discount on your room rate, a free drink and cheaper Internet and parking.
We will be coming back to The Cullen or maybe even The Olsen (another art series hotel in Melbourne) when next in Melbourne.

Room Tip: We asked for a room off the main road which over looked the park and gardens at the rear. If you hav...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your detailed review - I'm sure a lot of travellers will appreciate your inside knowledge. One of the best ways to see Melbourne is by bike - thanks for giving our Kronan's a spin.

Since you are a member of our Priority Guest Rewards program, don't forget to book online through the website for the best rate when you want to come back. Also, stay 15 nights and you will earn a freebie!

Matt

Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Art Series - The Blackman
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#9 of 161 in Melbourne
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!