“Good value, love/hate relationship”

and 1 more site!
Armadale Serviced Apartments
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We've been staying at the Armadale Apartments on and off now for close to 20 years. To be honest, we have a love/hate relationship with the place but we keep going back. We have family who live locally so the location is perfect for us. There's a tram stop just outside the apartments so you can be in the centre of Melbourne in 20 mins., and Chapel Street Prahran is a pleasant 15 mins walk. Over the years we've used both 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom apartments and all-in-all the 1-bedroom have worked out better. They have a reasonably sized bedroom with comfortable bed(s) and plenty of hanging and shelf space. There is a separate lounge with sofa, ancient analogue TV (please, oh please, update to digital soon! The Aussie TV broadcast channels are dire!), phone, and a kichenette off, fully equipped with oven, hobs, microwave, fridge, sink, drainer, and plenty of glassware, crockery and cutlery. There is an air-conditioner/ heating unit. The bathroom has a tiny bath with a decent shower over, and a separate toilet. The apartments are fully serviced (but only once a week if your stay is a few days), they are noticibly dated, and standards of decoration and maintenance vary. They are definitely not what you would call luxurious, but they have everything you need. There is ample free parking, and a guest coin-operated laundry. For its location, compared to Melbourne prices generally, this is good value. Apart from the decor, our only real gripe is that now and then, usually at the weekend, you get some noisy ya-hoos who think it's a good idea to be really loud in the car park or on the stairs yukking it up and slamming doors at 3am.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mikedee25

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Yes I read all the previous reviews of these apartments prior to my booking but I will always give a place a chance. My son and I stayed for 4 nights while attending the Formula 1 Grand Prix and I would have to say that for the $85 per night that I paid, this was extremely good value for the fantastic location. Yes the apartment does need a bit of a "modernisation" but it had ever basic requirement and it was clean, the blocks safe and secure and very quiet. I got up every morning had brekky and left for the day returning to sleep ready to go again the next day - isn't this what every traveller should be doing not staying in their room! The staff on check in were very friendly and obliging and gave me some fantastic local advice. It was 2 tram stops to Chapel Street another stop to Albert Park and then a brief ride down St Kilda Rd to the heart of the city - what more can you ask for? When I come back next year for the car races I WILL be staying at these apartments again - thanks Armadale Serviced Apartments.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bearall
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I recently booked my family to stay here for nearly two weeks in 2 x two bedroom apartments. The girl on the front desk was unhelpful, cranky and generally unhappy for most of the time. The only time she managed to smile is on our departure. No care factor at all.
She needs an industry change to something that is not customer focussed.
The rooms were grotty - one of the sofa beds has used sheets on it! The blinds were filthy and the airconditioners noisy. One of the kitchens had been refurbed which was a plus but on the whole the entire establishment needs a good clean up, including the communal laundry was hideous.
On a side note, the showers are all over the baths and are difficult to get in an out of if you are elderly.Such a shame condsidering the excellent location.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a refurbed kitchen - and not ground floor as you will either get headlights coming...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Heather N
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed in a one bedroom serviced apartment for approximately 7 weeks. The apartments are ok in seize but are run down: the beds are very old and need to be replaced as it was ‘hanging to one side’, the couch was also very old and was caving in, there was only one bedside lamp, the Oven didn’t work, the DVD player had no remote and one of the stove tops didn’t work.

What I found odd was that I had to ask for toilet paper as 2 roles will not suffice for weeks on end. One would assume the cleaning staff would replace empty roles. It’s best to just go and buy it yourself.

As the opening hours of the reception are only from 8:30am – 5pm which coincided with my own working hours they were able to deduct the payments automatically. However I would have thought a receipt or copy of payment would automatically be provided to me as well.

The crockery and cutlery are ok and useful, the toaster, kettle, all worked fine.

The apartment was cleaned weekly - vacuumed but the mirror, windows or floors were not mopped or wiped down. The bed linen and towels were changed, which was nice.

I recommend these apartments for people who do not plan to stay for longer than a few days.

The close proximity to the tram and Chapel Street are a great plus.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the ground floor as you will have people walking past your window or car fumes coming...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Quite honestly, I was not looking for a high end, luxury place to stay! I wanted something that was in easy distance to Christmas parties we had to attend in the area. I knew we just needed a bed & a bathroom effectively!
Armadale Serviced apartments fit my crieria of all of that plus low cost & in the right area to chapel St & surrounds.

Its not fancy but hey, theres a kitchenette (sure it could do with a makeover but it had everything - Fridge, Microwave etc etc) free parking & a 7/11 to get basic supplies.
There is ample public transport plus an easy 20 or so minute walk to Chapel Street...
Our 1 bedroom partment was on the small side so if you need more room, I would upsize if available.

Treat this place as a base if budget is your main concern.

Room Tip: The main driveway is a bit tricky to negotiate as there is not much room. Go around the corner to th...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AuntyMoo
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Stayed here for a while when moving to Melbourne. Found it very good with a full kitchen and close to 7/11. It's in a great location near Chapel St (10-15 walk). Free parking was a bonus. We did enjoy our stay here and will stay again if the price is right!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I stayed here with a group of friends last weekend. The staff seemed nice enough, but on arrival we discovered that the milk we were given was over a week out of date, and that our oven was broken and that to use it we had to reach inside the oven with a match which was more than a little dangerous! On the second day they did replace our towels but only gave us 3 new ones (and we were a group of 4). So an attention to detail is not their strong point.

Despite these annoyances we were still considering staying here again until on Saturday night at 8pm we were threatened with termination after some mild noise (and we had only been back at the apartment for half an hour!). This was the last straw for us, as not only was it early evening on a weekend, but the staff member who called us jumped straight to threatening us with termination, no warning or informing us that quiet hours are 8pm onwards (unlike normal hotels where it is usually 10pm). We were very offended to be treated so rudely and it is a shame that staff member ruined our stay as the people we had encountered before then seemed pleasant. We spent the rest of the stay very uncomfortable and worried that any second we could be thrown out without warning.

So unless you are planning to go to bed, or sit in silence at 8pm every night of your stay, I would strongly advise you choose somewhere else.

Room Tip: Apartment number 8 has a broken oven so if you are put in this room, ask if the oven has been fixed...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends