We were warmly welcomed at this cosy and picturesque old inn, dating from about 1842. The inn is invitingly decorated in a mix of old and new and our room looked out across a verandah to the cottage garden at the front. The back grassed garden contains the vegetable garden with hens softly clucking around and you can see from there across to the river port. It is only a short walk to Griffiths Island, home to a shearwater colony as well as the bluestone lighthouse dating from 1859. Dinner, after a drink in the cosy bar, was in the Merrijig Kitchen with the open fire keeping us warm, an absolutely delicious meal. Elsewhere there were other sitting areas with comfortable sofas and chairs, easy to fall asleep in front of the fire! Breakfast was wonderful, don't miss the caraway seeded rye toast!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Merrijig Inn, Victoria's oldest Inn, is our special place in Port Fairy.The Merrijig Inn is located in Port Fairy, the jewel of south west Victoria on the Great Ocean Road.The Merrijig Kitchen is our restaurant in our historic dining room. We write our menu daily from seasonal produce, sourced locally where possible from the south-west country-sdie.Our carefully crafted wine list features passionate producers who use bio-dynamic & organic practises and their wine speaks of 'terroir'.The Merrijig front bar is open every day from 4pm so you're welcome to come and enjoy a drink and a chat!Centrally located next to the wharf, the Merrijig Inn is close to all of historic Port Fairy's attractions including galleries, shopping and beaches.We hope you'll join us and enjoy the charm of the hisotric Merrijig Inn!It's exciting for us to be able to host you in one of Port Fairy's most charming buildings - so come share our love of eating great food and drinking delicious wine, and stay a while!Liz & Tanya. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Merrijig Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Merrijig Hotel Port Fairy
- Merrijig Inn Port Fairy, Victoria