“Fine for several nights”
Review of Port Fairy Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Fairy
Port Fairy Hostel
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I only stayed for one night. But if I had more time I would have stayed several days. There was much to see around Pt Fairy, Portland, Cape Bridgewater, Tower Hill Gamer Reserve, Griffith Island to name a few.

Room Tip: I had no problem with the place. Although the people in the room next door were a bit noisy but othe...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here over night on a Great Ocean Road trip as part of the annual Falls Music and Arts Festival. Super cheap, pretty good with last minute booking and overnight stay and option of single sex rooms only was nice, but the place needed a bit of doing up and generally a bit run down. Friendly staff, comfortable outdoor and social areas. Fine for a one night stand, wouldn't stick around much longer though!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Our large group stayed here one night in a couple of dorm rooms on our way along the coast. Normally despise dorm rooms but as it was all friends it was ok. The staff were really friendly, the set up of the hostel is nice with a large communual kitchen and enclosed courtyard/lawn area out the back. I'd definitely come back here again. Agree with the other reviewers though - it could do with a spruce up - but it's clean and pleasant.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of my Great Ocean Road tour. It is a lovely hostel although like other have said it could do with a bit of investment in the decor. Very friendly, great location. Really enjoyed my stay here.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Having stayed at a lot of YHAs around Australia and New Zealand this one is OK, but needs some money spent on it. It's in an old historic house, which should be a great attraction. It's in a fantastic location close to the Main Street shops and cafes and the port area too. What great selling points. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the place is clean, but the amenities are pretty tired and old, not being quite up to the standard we expect of YHAs. The decor is exactly as it would have been when it was opened as a YHA, several decades ago, so a freshen up is overdue. Although our room was large, the bed was uncomfortable. All round the kitchen needs an update, but particularly the cooking facilities. That said, it is a fascinating old building that has a tale to tell, and as previously mentioned, the location is great.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed in YHA Port Fairy hostel one night as part of our Great Ocean Road trip. The lady in the reception was very friendly and welcoming, she gave us a map of the town and pointed out highlights and other helpful bits. We stayed in a mixed dorm, but there was only four beds, so it was great. It was in the backyard of the hostel, which was very cute as an outdoors area too. The bathroom and shower was just opposite our room across the hallway and it was also clean and tidy, good water pressure.The kitchen is large, clean and tidy and has a lot of utensils, like a coffee press!! I would definitely recommend this place, great value for money. And Port Fairy is such a charming little town, it's like a picture post card!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a gorgeous little hostel but the service is terrible.

I tried to book a room for Family members over Christmas break. I emailed my booking enquiry weeks prior to stay but needed to call thru Credit card details to confirm booking- Reception/Office never seems open. I did leave 1 voice message and call was returned but I missed it and it went to my voice mail. Trying to get on to a human that works there is near impossible. We needed the room for 27/12/12. We physically went into Hostel on the 25/12 at around 8.30pm- Reception closed but plenty of tired and annoyed travelers standing in hallway- confused and ringing contact number to no avail . Returned again on 26th at 9pm- as per sign on Reception door stating Office hours- Again reception closed!! Finally got a call morning on 27th,with relatives already in transit to Port Fairy, and told that there was no record of my booking and no rooms available that night. What!! I have emails and voice message that contradict this statement. Good Grief!!! I had to run around town for the next hour or so and try to find suitable accommodation in a busy holiday town -not fun

What a complete waste of time trying to book a room at this hostel!!! Finally got a room for under $100 at the Caledonia Inn- Basic, but clean, neat and staff available

Port Fairy is a great town, and there is plenty of really good spots to spend your holiday- plenty of great deals to suit most Budgets. Don't waste time trying to book in to the Hostel

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family