“Choose your meals carefully”
Review of Waves

Waves
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Port Campbell
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was very much a hit and miss experience. For breakfast my husband enjoyed the Waves cooked breakfast. Unfortunately my fruit toast was ordinary - it was basically 2 pieces of tip top cafe style raisin toasts for $6! Giving them the benefit of the doubt we ventured out to Waves again for dinner that night - this time I picked the Waves special spaghetti marina thinking perhaps I should stick to the house special. Sadly I picked the wrong menu item again! I just picked at some of the seafood and left the rest of the dish. Fortunately my husband's ocean trout was perfectly cooked and delicious.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FoodeeMee

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Been there in Feb 2012, w/o reservation in Port Campbell, so I was looking around where to sleep and ended up in this hotel.

Had a very very nice room w/ a biiiiiig jacuzi next to the bed (+ additional bathroom). Everything was quite nice and clean, but in my opionon a bit overpriced, but still liked it....

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank joooojo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My partner and I recently ate at the Waves restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The food was nice and the setting couldnt be better.
Port Campbell is a lovely little town tucked away in a quiet corner of the Great Ocean Road.
The service is good and food to match.
Recommended

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Centre of town location; car park separates accommodation from the restaurant. Beach yellow+blue decor, daggy but OK. New, clean, tidy. No beach views.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank CM67Melb
Reviewed September 27, 2011

This accommodation is at the back of a restaurant. The carpark is very tight and the surrounding outer area and entry to the building is uninviting. The room itself was outdated for the $190 pricetag we paid for 1 night. It has early 90's decor. I would expect an LCD or plasma TV now days, rather they had an old/small sized TV. The toilet floor had obviously not been vacuumed and the shower went from hot to cold intermittently for no particular reason in our room. The outside patio is overgrown with shrubs and the only view (as I am on the bottom floor) is the huge house next door blocking everything. The main reception area is very squashy and in a side door off the restaurant. Not very inviting at all for first impressions. I would not pay anymore than $100 if I was to ever stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I had a very pleasant stay at the Waves Port Campbell: December 7 -9 , 2010.

I arrived early evening after a 'white knuckles' drive thru a rainstorm in the mountains on the Great Ocean Road. The young man who checked me wasn't exactly 'professional', but friendly enough. My room was ready upon arrival.

The room, while basic and straightforward in its design and decor, was very spacious and clean. I had no trouble sleeping the first night (although the continuing rainstorm probably has alot to do with it!) The second night I unfortunately had an elderly gentleman staying in the room beneath me and he had the television on very loud, not to mention his voice, which could be heard thru the floor. I turned on the a/c unit to negate the noise, and then he went to bed by 10:30PM. I am mentioning this just to let you know that the rooms are not soundproof. But that was my only incident, and it was a quiet stay otherwise.

Breakfasts were more than substantial. Large quantity, good food.

The manager was very friendly and informative. She was very pleasant to talk to.

There are no frills here. A basic, straightforward hotel. But seeing as it was clean and centrally located, I can't imagine what other hotel or town would be better suited as a base to explore the Great Ocean Road.

I recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank miamidancer_10
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Having driven most of the beautiful Great Ocean Road, and before pushing on to Port McDonell, we stopped for some lunch in Port Campbell. We all chose soup at $10. I had Seafood Laksa, 5/10. My 3 companions chose Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup. None of them were able to get past the 1st mouthful, a shame given we were all so hungry. It was akin to chicken gruel with a hint of wallpaper paste. It had a gelatanous texture and a lack of any flavour. It also had egg white floating in it, which was odd, and it did not help the texture or look of the dish.
I discretely let the waiter know we were struggling to eat the meal due to texture and flavour issues, but that the Laksa was edible. No apology from the waiter, just a blank stare. Minutes later the bill appeared at the table via a second waiter. On the bill remained the 3 inedible soup dishes. I asked why it was still on the bill, and was told there was nothing wrong with it: she'd already eaten it for lunch. No-one else had complained about it (they had "already sold a bucket of it"). I was subsequently told that the only rationale for clearing it from the bill would be if the chicken was bad. No apology. We were so taken aback that we almost found ourselves apologising!
Then, after regretably paying so that we could leave as quickly as possible, out comes an angry looking chef. She proceeded to tower over the table to let us know that it was a chinese take on chicken and sweetcorn and that we should have seen that on the board outside. We were sat indoors, and when we left we took the time to look back at the outside board, and there was no mention of anything other than the words 'Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup'. Having experienced awful soup, diabolical attempts to brush our mild-mannered complaints under the carpet and then to feel bullied into really believing that you must be wrong if all of the staff and chef are against you, it's not just the food that'll leave a bad taste in your mouth at Waves in Port Campbell.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends