“A few tweaks needed”

Daysy Hill Country Cottages
Melbourne, Australia
“A few tweaks needed”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed in one of the new Deluxe cabins for 2 nites, as part of my birthday mini holiday to Port Campbell.

Let's start with the positives:
- first thing we noticed upon arrival was how clean the cabin was. My wife is a clean freak & she was impressed. Good job
- very roomy. Couch in lounge area is comfy. Kitchen area is spacious - nice big fridge

Now for some negatives, some areas to improve:
- the bed we slept in (main room) was a brick (to put it nicely). I jokingly said I'd go sleep on the table in the lounge as it would have more give!! It is awful - woke up with sore backs. Tossed & turned all nite
- the booklet with information in the room is terribly outdated. There are brochures in it dating back to 2003 & 2007!! Needs updating
- I don't agree with places that threaten to charge you extra (in this case $25) if you don't clean your dishes. I'm on holidays, I'm not at home. Plus when you're paying $150-200 a nite you expect more
- we were a little shocked to find that the owners were away on holidays when we arrived. Now I'm sure they've earned it, but it meant reception was closed & we had no access to information (outside of calling their cleaner)
- the DVD player provided does not play DVD R disks. Just a heads up for anyone looking to bring those
- from memory I believe they advertise that Austar is included. It's not. Only has digital TV. Austar is Foxtel & there is no Foxtel channels available

Also I would avoid the fish n chip shop at the petrol station in town. My wife & I got really sick after eating their food.

If you're in the area make sure you visit "Apostle Whey Cheeses", the cheeses there are amazing. Well worth a visit. "Gorges chocolates" is cool too, but is cash only.

Port Campbell is a great place to visit - so many places to see. Sadly the accomodation let us down in a few key areas. If they can replace the mattress & update the brochures I might have a better recommendation. But for now it receives a bare pass mark.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank CraigB1970

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent our second night on the Great Ocean Road in a 1 bedroom cottage with spa. It was my second stay and it was just as I remembered.
The cottages are well presented and have all that you could need. The bed is comfortable and the spa quite large. The balcony gives you lovely views down through the valley back towards Port Campbell. There is no traffic noise, just birds, frogs and crickets, but once inside the cottage.....very peaceful.
Another bonus with staying here was that we were able to see the Apostles at sunset and sunrise, as it is only a 12-15 minute drive.
I thoroughly enjoyed my second stay and hope that it won't be my last. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012
Mumbai
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We reached this place after our long drive on the GOR. The approach was dark and there were no streetlights, but the directions were quite simple and we found the place quite easily.
We stayed on the first floor of the cottage. The balcony had a good view. The gas-lit fireplace and other amenities in the room were really well-maintained and good to use.
Since we were there for only one night and left early the next morning, we really did not need to use the kitchen.
The owners had to leave because of an emergency and so we did not get to meet them - our room keys however were made available to us easily and our check-out was a breeze.
Definitely a place we would love to go back to and spend more time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The cottages are about 5 minutes out of the small town in a rural setting, which means no street lights if you’re arriving in the dark. There’s an easily recognisable sign so I fount it beneficial to have looked at a street-view internet map before setting out.

The cottage that I (we) stayed in was a one bedroom cottage with an open plan living area with the kitchen and living space in one room. There is a balcony which overlooks fields and the main road at the bottom of the hill a little bit less than 100 yards away (we didn't hear so much as a decibel of traffic though). There was a gas fire (one of the types with false logs) a flat screen TV and a kettle and fridge-freezer in the kitchen. The bathroom had large, no, enormous spa bath that easily accommodated two people with room to spare. The bed was comfortable enough and there was a flat screen on the wall in the bedroom and an electric heater in there too which heated it up in no time.

There is parking at the front door though this is uncovered.

The hoteliers seemed friendly enough and there was a DVD collection in the reception, on borrowing a video we were asked for $2, which considering I’d just paid $195 for a night in the cottage, I thought was a little unnecessary.

In general the place was lovely and I enjoyed my stay, Yes the place had a flat screen television but the owners had bought a small cheap one – and I’ve already mentioned the DVD rental arrangement. Yes there was a huge spa bath but there were no toiletries beyond a bar of soap in a packet. Yes it had a huge kitchen but there was no coffee machine just a kettle and sachets of Nescafe. It was nice, and I don’t mind paying as much as i did in the off-season, but considering it was twice as expensive as the Best Western down the road and priced as luxury accommodation, I expected a few more of the nice little things.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Regarding the review “There is no safety for your bookings” posted here, I want to clarify the reality.
Katy and her husband with their dog came to Melbourne during Christmas holidays. I booked a cabin one month in advance at Daysy Hill Country Cottages but the owner informed me 3 days before commencement date about some issue in the cabin, telling that she cannot accommodate us for the requested dates. It was hard to find the replacement and what made the situation worse, was their dog that they wanted to keep him inside. The owner went to a great deal of effort to find another pet friendly accommodation and that replacement was fantastically great and beyond our expectation which she could arrange that for the same price.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We stayed in CABIN for 3 nights.

The cabin although quite similar to those you find in caravan parks was much wider and spacious than most.

You enter from the veranda with views of Port Campbell, rolling hills and some cows accross the road.

There is a spacious living/dining room (80s furniture) but a new flat screen TV with cable.

Plenty of space in the kitchen equipped with all the essentials.

The bathroom with shower only is good and there is a seperate toilet, unusual for cabins.

Two bedrooms - the main with a wardrobe of decent size and a queen size bed (also unusual as they are usually double) and bedside tables!

2nd room has 4 bunk beds but the top bunks are folded up and locked unless you need them so the room is quite spacious.

The only problem we had is the shower - the water pump gives spurts of very hot or very cold and nothing much in between so taking a shower was a real pain....

It seemed quite popular with Chinese tourists who stay a night and then move on.

I would visit again as its good value for money.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
0355986226, Owner at Daysy Hill Country Cottages, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
We are pleased to recieve your positive feedback, the cabins are only a few years old and the furniture is all quite new, not 80's style as you have written, we were unaware of any problem with the water pump that provides water to the shower but will look into it immediately as our guests comfort is always a priority for us.
Moffat, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We rented one of the cottages for ten days. It was spacious, homey, clean and had everything we needed to cook in. The bed was comfy.The owners were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. We would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple