“Comfy Couch, Warm Fire - A Suprise Winter Delight!”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of 1180GOR

Great Ocean Road
Surf Safe
Lorne Township
12 Apostles
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 7 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Brian M
“Comfy Couch, Warm Fire - A Suprise Winter Delight!”
Reviewed May 28, 2017 for a stay in May 2017

It is not just summer you stay here. A great place for a winter stay. We explored a few of the local walking tracks before enjoying a glass of red in front of the fire. Couldn't ask for much more. We will be back!

garethree...
Singapore, Singapore
“Stunning views and great service ..... we'll be back!!”
Reviewed May 25, 2017 for a stay in May 2017
person found this review helpful

1180GOR was a great property, with breathtaking views. The owners were a pleasure to deal with, and everything was provided to make the stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible. Looking forward to coming back.

Potsy77
Melbourne, Australia
“The best holiday home!”
Reviewed May 18, 2017 for a stay in May 2017
person found this review helpful

We stayed at 1180GOR this week and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The views are spectacular and the lazy chairs overlooking the balcony were contagious. All amenities were well presented and we even benefited from having some day-to-day pantry items stocked ready for us to use (very helpful). The property's location is really good particularly its easy access to walking tracks and the beach was very good. The owners have certainly provided a good home away from home, and we'll certainly make it a yearly visit when looking for accommodation in the Lorne area.

Cacao
Europe
“Filthy, tired, in need of massive TLC. Save your money and go elsewhere.”
Reviewed February 23, 2017 for a stay in January 2017
person found this review helpful

We loved the view however the house was in a filthy state. Dead fly in champagne glass on arrival, old food in microwave from previous guests that we had to clean out ourselves, dusty lollies on floor under circular chairs in lounge area that must have been sitting there for ages, sticky kids' fingerprints all over windows to gaze through to amazing view. Revolting. The air-conditioners worked only temporarily on very hot day so house was very warm downstairs and chokingly hot upstairs. We tried to open the window upstairs in the bathroom to let some cool air circulate but the owners hadn't bothered to put a fly screen on. Millions of bugs calling the house their home the night we decided to try and cool the upper storey. Not really a fan of old, worn out guest towels either that we were supplied with. It's just not nearly good enough.

The first three nights we were there, the laundry door to access the outside was broken so the house was not even secure. The front door from the laundry to driveway kept on flying open at all hours of the day and night. When asking for it to be fixed, we had to wait 3 days for owners to drive from Melbourne to come and fix it personally. On top of this, there was a big sign over the featured bath with views to the ocean stating that we couldn't use the bath because there'd been no rainfall for a long time. The spring was very wet spring with landslides on part of the Great Ocean Road as a result, so why have this sign?

Also, there was no waste disposal. We had to carry all our garbage bags off property, put them into our car and drive 40 minutes to Lorne (during Christmas peak hour) to a garbage and recycling bin.

At the price we were paying for our stay, we expected the house to be clean and in working order. That would mean not having to worry about cleaning up after the last guests because the owner couldn't be bothered to pay a professional cleaner to do it theirself, but rather did a quick whip-around between guests to get maximum dollar for their pocket. It would mean making sure that the aforementioned problems are not problems for guests. It's just not on. Go elsewhere.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Feb 24, 2017
Very disappointed to read your review. I was doing the cleaning myself as I had not found a "professional" cleaner in the area. Had nothing to do with not spending money I do not do a quick whip around, I do a thorough clean between guests, I present the house as I would expect it to be if I was renting it. You are the first to complain about how the house was presented. My apologies if I missed a lolly under the chair or neglected to wipe the microwave. We have 2 rubbish bins at the entrance to the property which were noted in the compendium,both were empty after you left, you would have driven past them every time you left and returned to the house. There are always bugs in country Victoria, but obviously during the peak of summer there will be many more. I'm not sure what I can do about this. We have fly wire screens on both upstairs bedrooms and electric fans and the split system air conditioners are in perfect working order and cool the house without a problem. All towels I supply are under 3 months old, I regularly turn them over. I would never supply worn out towels.The sign over the bath is for use of the bath as a spa, as it needs to be filled to the brim, not as a bath. The house is very popular over summer and as we are on tank water we do not want the possibility of guests running out of water. My apologies for the confusion. Yes, we had a problem with the door, I did try and organise a tradesman to attend, but failing to find one available over the busy Christmas period, we drove down to attend to the door ourselves. I'm a bit confused as to why during our conversation whilst attending to the door you neglected to mention any of these problems and how disappointed you were, rather, opting to air them through this review. Many of the issues could have been resolved then and there. The house was left by your family in a rather disgusting state, I could not walk through the kitchen area without standing on food, crumbs etc. The cook top and dining table looked like they had not been cleaned for the duration of your stay. The bbq was filthy (it is a requirement that the bbq be cleaned before you leave), bins were overflowing. The sheets on both upstairs bedrooms and throw rugs on the lounges were left with food stains. I do not expect guests to clean the house upon leaving but to leave it in a neat and tidy state, this was not done. As I have stated I'm very disappointed that you did not have an enjoyable stay, but more disappointed that I was not given the chance to address any of your issues during your stay. I am a very responsive and reasonable person and have not had bad reviews in the past.
HetherPhi...
London, United Kingdom
“Stunning views; isolated, with difficult access”
Reviewed January 7, 2016 for a stay in December 2015
people found this review helpful

This is a perfect holiday home for those seeking seclusion and privacy. Its stunning views over Bass Strait and friendly cockatoos can be enjoyed from the comfort of the swivel chairs perfectly located in the floor to ceiling bay window. Guests are very well provided for, with toiletries, cleaning products and basic food items all included. It was a very comfortable home for 3 couples. The house is surrounded by bush land and is more isolated than indicated in the description, with access by a long, dirt road, which was a concern during bushfire season. The driveway into the house is only suitable for all-wheel drive vehicles, being very steep and uneven, with a loose gravelly surface on which one of our party slipped and fell, injuring himself. Because of this steep, gravel driveway right to the door, the house is not suitable for people with mobility problems.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Stunning views and very adequate provisions
Liked least: Location and difficult access to house; lack of wi-fi
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
BusinessC...
Melbourne
“Supreme!”
Reviewed February 8, 2015 for a stay in January 2015
people found this review helpful

I had the pleasure of chilling out over the Australia Day Weekend at this amazing location.

We looked high and low for a location in Lorne that would capture the amazing views, coastline, nature and ambiance that reminded me of the Amalfi Coast. This place was definitely it!

We arrived to a two storey, clean, incredibly comfortable and user-friendly home, where it was obvious that the owners knew exactly how to cater for the fussy traveller. We were greeted by 3 amazing bedrooms (one parents retreat downstairs) and two upstairs and all with sea views. There were two bathrooms that were quite large, and amazing relaxation zones throughout the property. We were very impressed with the huge balcony that not only was perfect for gazing at the sea, but was also perfect for our bbqs and private gatherings.

Guests will instantly feel relaxed at 1180GOR. It really is the place to be on the Surf Coast. We have stayed at many places along the coastline but this place was impressive and will now be one of our Top 5 places to stay in Victoria. A big BRAVO to the owners for creating a Utopia in Lorne. We will be back!

Traveling group: Friends
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing