“Great room and service”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Lorne
Melbourne, Australia
“Great room and service”
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

When first we arrived to check in our room wasn't ready. We went for a walk into town and came back after checkin time and they had upgraded our room to a king room. The reception was friendly and there was a sign saying if you check in on Facebook you get a freebie so we did and was advised we get a free tapas dish.

I had heard the rooms were run down and not to expect a lot but I was pleasantly surprised to find a very neat clean room comfy bed. Service with a smile.

Breaky was included and a general selection was available in a relaxed setting.

Would come back again.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Northern Territory
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed for one night in a one bedroom apartment while visiting the Great Ocean Road. Check in was through the main hotel entrance and was quick and easy. The apartment was fully self contained with kitchen and bathroom and laundry. Decor was neutral. There were some signs of wear, as is expected if a room isn't new (or newly renovated); however it was very clean and comfortable. All windows and sliding doors had double blinds to block out the light which was great. The bathroom and laundry were combined in the one large room and included washer, dryer and clothes airer. Perfect for us to do some washing mid-trip. The bedroom was separate with a door to close it off from the rest of the apartment and the bed was comfortable. In the bedroom, there was no TV (okay for our short stay) or heater (so the room did get a little chilly). The kitchen had everything you would need to cook with during a longer stay. There was also a dining table and living area with couch and TV. This was all open plan. The living area opened to a very cute outside patio area (paved courtyard with garden (pretty flowers) and table and chairs). We could access the rest of the property from a gate off our patio area and wandered through lovely gardens to the restaurant. The restaurant had great themed nightly set menu specials that were tasty and a good price. Service was quick and friendly. The underground carpark was also good, being specifically allocated a park for the room number, and the entry to the room was from the carpark. This was a little strange as the the door reminded me of an apartment store room but it opened onto the kitchen and we were pleased with the room overall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed one night in a queen room with a view of the water. We had a lovely view from our room, but what I didn't realize until we got there was that we also had a large, wraparound porch going straight in front of the room. (To access the porch, you exit your room to the hotel corridor and go through another door that leads outside.) Though it was nice to have the porch there, it also meant that we generally kept the blinds all the way down for privacy, since who knows when someone else is going to mosey past your room as they walk on the porch?? So, it definitely interfered with our ability to enjoy the view.

When we checked in, I recall that the desk clerk was competent, but just not warm. I can't quite qualify it, but I know that we saw her several times and always got the same vibe from her. The only time her demeanor changed was when we checked out; she was (unconvincingly) cheerful and offered us a card that entitled the bearer to a complementary bottle of champagne (or something like that, some extra) on our next stay. Since we were leaving to proceed with our road trip and clearly wouldn't be able to use it on a subsequent stay, she mentioned giving that to a friend (because, being from the US, we have tons of friends in the area?). I would have preferred the gesture to have been extended to us during our stay; I don't even drink much alcohol, but that's not the point. It simply would have been nice to be treated well during the stay and not offered "goodies" on our way out the door that we couldn't even use. This move did not engender warm feelings in my husband or in me, and it felt disingenuous after her previously cool attitude.

It appears that all of the guest rooms are on the second or third floors (that's the American way to call it; I think the Brits and Australians would call them the first and second floors). So, we ended up taking our large piece of luggage and repacking it into several smaller bags to make the trip up the two long flights of stairs (no elevator) easier. Not terrible, but not preferable. There were stains on the carpet large enough for me to be commenting on (and I usually don't pay much mind to things like that). There was room enough for the bed and a small glass table with two chairs, a wardrobe and a fridge. I recall the table being low enough that pulling the chairs up to sit snugly against the table would have been difficult for an adult; take heed that your lap will be completely exposed if you tend to dribble when drinking your tea.

I can't comment on the restaurant's food; we were bowled over by the prices in the restaurant. We ended up eating dinner at the nearby seafood place and for breakfast the next day we backtracked into the town.

The bathroom was small; on one hand, I'm impressed that they fit a whole bathroom in the space allotted. On the other hand, I would have preferred a little more room to spread out (not just in the shower; I was struggling to find enough space to store the few toiletries I use).

Though the building certainly has charm, I would choose a different place to stay next time. I'm not quite sure I'd stay in Lorne again, either. If I could re-do our itinerary, I'd rather stay an extra day in Apollo Bay and use it as a home base.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Penella
GPHLorne, Front Office Manager at Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Penella,

Thank you for your long and detailed feedback regarding your experience at the Grand Pacific Hotel. We welcome all feedback and I would like to take this opportunity to respond to some of the points you raised.

We do not screen our guests when giving out promotional gift cards, and whether they express a desire to return or not, as a friendly gesture we offer it to all our guests regardless, so my sincere apologies if you were offended by this.

Friendly service is something that the team at the Grand Pacific Hotel strongly values and constantly strive towards, which is what all our previous reviews tend to mention on a consistent basis so I am very surprised to hear that you received a strange “vibe” from our receptionist and I assure you that this feedback comes as a shock.

Our restaurant menu is varied, seasonal and ever changing. It has something for everyone, from affordable pub favorites such as Chicken Parmas to our high quality steak and seafood options. All prices are consistent with all other restaurants in Lorne and along the Great Ocean Road.

As for the point of dribbling tea on your lap, I don’t have a response for that, I can only apologize & when we do our routine refurbishment, we will keep this in mind.

Being a beautiful historic hotel, it does have a lot of charm, all rooms are different, ranging from our small, economical, Double non view rooms to our large, indulgent & spacious ocean view King rooms.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Australia.

Kind Regards,

Sam Bereiki

Reception
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2013

A $1 million view of the water for $200 a night. Excellent accomodation, friendly staff. Dinner consisting of two main courses and two glasses of wine cost $66.50. And let's not forget the two terrific stand-in folk singers - Banjo & Bean.
A highly enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Get one with a view of the water.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed one night in September on our way along the Great Ocean Road. We selected one of the cheaper rooms (Pacific Queen room) for this particular night. I think on reflection it was expensive for what it was, but this is so typical for ocean frontage and historic buildings. Our room was on the second floor and actually had to be accessed through a separate corridor that led to the back of the hotel. It was probably a maid's room or a storage room "back in the day". It was long and narrow and had a window overlooking the jetty. Tiny but clean bathroom (small shower). The room was clean and the bed comfortable. We had dinner in the hotel, the staff were attentive and the menu was varied. The only downside is the thoroughfare of people wandering from the back bar in various states of inebriation to go out the front door of the hotel. I would recommend it for a one night stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2012

4 of us stayed in a 2bedroom apt and all i can say is that it was worth every penny and just simply amazing! Great staff, spacious rooms, gorgeous ocean views!! Love it, will be coming back soon hopefully. A plus side are the cockatoos who pay us visits regularly on the balcony, just so gorgeous.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Celiaandarthur,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Grand Pacific Hotel & Apartments.
I am delighted that you found the staff attentive and loved your experience with us! I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Lorne.
Summer is well and truly here in Lorne, so we have live music every afternoon, perfect for enjoying the views and relaxing outside!

Warmest Regards,

Sam
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed December 7, 2012

the 4 of us stayed in a beautiful 2 bedroom apt with a great view of the ocean. cockatoos came to the balcony for some dried banana chips and granola. the kitchen was well equiped. the restaurant was good. it was definitely the best bargain of the hotels on our trip on the great ocean road. I wish we could have stayed here longer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Barbara,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Grand Pacific Hotel & Apartments. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us!

If you are ever in this part of the world again, we would love to have you back.

Kindest Regards,