“Lovely old hotel”

Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Lorne
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed for one night at the beginning of our great ocean road holiday. Booked on wotif for a discounted rate. We had booked the Queen Pier Room but were upgraded when we arrived to a king room.
Rooms are basic but the views are fantastic and room was very clean. Carpet was pretty stained but still clean.
The place has an old grand feeling to it and was perfect for what we wanted.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GPHLorne, General Manager at Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear seal-loves-holiday,

Thank you for your feedback of the Grand Pacific Hotel. Lorne is a fabulous base to explore the Great Ocean Road and the Grand Pacific Hotel is a charming building set just opposite the Lorne pier. We are routinely giving the historical property a makeover and uplift, one of the more recent items has been the carpet in the property!
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would love to see you again next time you are down the Great Ocean Road.

There are newer reviews for Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne

Reviewed September 8, 2012

My friend`s and I went there last night for dinner, on arrival we were treated like we were putting them out wanting to dine in their venue, yes I admit we didn`t have a booking but there was room available for us, we were a table of 6.

The lady(NZ girl) serving and taking our orders did not smile once and was giving off a nasty and rude attitude the whole time we were there, we all made mention to eachother of her personality within the first 5 minutes if being there.
When taking our order she looked at us like we were dirt, i was thinking to myself come on we`re a nice bunch of people and here you are treating us like crap.
At one stage she made us wait with finished plates for about 5 minutes as she walked past us.
To top it off my partner and I had to leave before the others so I asked if they could take the money for our food or split the bill....well she nearly ripped my head off telling me she would only do one card transaction then she walked off...I thought to myself i've had enough of this women who ever she is, because I work in customer service I was disgusted in her manner she spoke to me so I asked the other staff who she was and to my surprise she was their Manager!
I told them they had been fantastic but she has been disgusting and has given the worse customer service I have seen in a long time.

This place is truely a nice place to eat with great food, just really sad to know that one person can let the team down especially the Manager!
I`ve got a feeling she was just Manager of the bistro as there was another gentleman who was lovely running around with a smile, I think he might be the Owner/Manager.

Give her the flick and do yourself a favour!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank SHANMAN82

Dear Shanman82

I am so terribly sorry to hear of your experience at the Grand Pacific Hotel & Apartments and I would like to assure you that your feedback is out of the ordinary as we like to pride ourselves with our friendly service and I apologize that is was not delivered to you and your party.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had a great stay over the weekend , great views out of the Queen room on the top floor. The room was small and fine if your just there for a few nights. Staff are great , very friendly and helpful. My only downside was the quilt was a bit dirty and old looking , but did not worry us to much. Breakfast each morning was great and all you could eat for $15. I would be happy to stay here many times over.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank josh01Kurnell

Dear Josh31Kurnell,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Grand Pacific Hotel & Apartments.
I am very pleased to hear that you found our team helpful & friendly. Our hotel rooms are perfect for shorter stays, while our larger apartments are perfect for families and longer stays! I am sorry to hear that the quilt was not up to standard, you will be pleased to hear that our hotel rooms & apartments are getting a bit of a makeover before summer. I am delighted to hear that you would be happy to return and we will be happy to welcome you back next time you are down in Lorne!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We had called ahead to let them know we were arriving late at 9pm. The hotel seemed deserted with nobody at reception, however a man did come out and give us a key to our room and tell us it was upstairs and along the corridor. He didn't mention which floor or offer any other information or help at all. We carried our bags up 2 flights of tired and worn looking stairs to find our room. I was pleasently surprised with it's size and view the from the window, the room was basically clean although could be improved in areas. The furniture was ok but a little tired and I felt not worthy of the title 'Grand'.

The best thing about this hotel is the view. We had an amazing sea view, and there is a large wrap around balcony although to get to it you have to climb through the window. This was a little tricky as the old sash window wouldn't stay up and would fall down as you were trying to climb through, but the view once you were out there was worth the effort. There were a couple of mis matched chairs you could sit on and appreciate the beautiful location overlooking the Pier which we did do and enjoyed.

We slept well, woke up and the sun poured in and again, the view. Wow! We wanted to go into town for breakfast so didn't even enquire about what they offered and when we left there was still nobody on reception so we just placed our key there and left.

It's in a beautiful location, and is a lovely old building however the interior decoration dissapointed me. Felt tired and unloved. They were ripping up the carpet in the hallway when we left so looks like an effort is being made to change this. We didn't have any communication with any staff apart from briefly when we arrived. We didn't see or hear any other guests, and didn't try dinner or breakfast so can't comment there.

Overall, excellent location and views however slightly tired and shabby decor. Good sized room although not spotlessly clean, not dirty either. An average nights accomodation in a hotel that seemed like it had seen better days. It's got potential to be fantastic. Wouldn't mind coming back and trying the resteraunt, meeting more staff and seeing what improvements they've made to the interior.

• Stayed: September 2012
GPH268, General Manager at Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2017

thank you for your feedback the new management team has made some positive changes and eliminated some of your concerns.

regards

Management

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Charming old hotel built in the 1870s, full of character. Sits high on a hill at the end of the town, overlooking the Lorne Pier. Spectacular views out across the Great Southern Ocean.
We had a large kingsize room at the front on the first floor- amazing seascape from the large windows.
Room comfortable and clean and wall mounted electric heater surprisingly warm enough. Usual amenities( internet additional cost).
Enormous balcony around first floor of the building with spectacular views and easy access for smokers until 11pm(rooms all non smoking).
Restaurant had extensive menu, with daily specials- main course plus garlic bread and glass of wine or pot of beer for $25, bit pricey for what it was, but few dining options in winter as most of the town seemed to be closed for the season!
Excellent range of beers/ciders and even cafe style coffees and quality teas.
Hotel didn't do breakfast( presumably they do in summer) but gave us a 10% discount voucher for a local cafe.
Staff were very friendly and attentive. Hotel was clean.
I booked online on hotel's own website, which seemed to be cheaper than expedia etc.
Would definitely go back, but maybe wait until summer so there's more choice of restaurants etc

Room Tip: Creaky floorboards(old building), maybe second floor might be quieter- and views maybe even more spe...
2  Thank SineadCage

Dear SineadCage,

Thank you so much for taking the time for writing some great feedback for the Grand Pacific Hotel & Apartments.
I couldn’t agree with you more that we have a wonderful historical hotel, with stunning views from the guest balcony!
Lorne is very seasonal, so in the winter season some places do close, but we are here and open 12 months a year!
We would love to welcome you back when the weather is the warmer so you can enjoy more of this lovely town.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed in three-bedroom aparment for one night and hope we could stay longer ,No.13 is a Japanese-styled apartment and the host had spent a lot of spirit on the decoration,the aparmtent has a big balcony front to the sea and pier. We all love it and hope stay there again.

1  Thank Sunnytoy

Dear Sunnytoy,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your stay here at the Grand Pacific Hotel & Apartments. I am very pleased to hear that everyone enjoyed their time with us.
We are lucky enough to own and manage a variety of apartments and have a range of different styles and sizes, so each is slightly unique!
Next time you are heading this way we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

A nice couple of days spent in a 3 bedroom apartment attached to the hotel. Although it was winter, we managed a couple of nice long walks along the beach and out on the Pier. A little way out of the township - you need your car in between showers in winter. In summer it would be a pleasant walk in. Fabulous view of the waves coming into the pier and watching squalls over the water.

1  Thank OzMum231

Dear OzMum231,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Grand Pacific Hotel & Apartments. I am always delighted to hear that a guest has enjoyed their stay with us. Our apartments have wonderful views out over the bay & I am pleased you managed to fit in a few walks round our lovely town!
We look forward to welcoming you & your family back in the warmer summer season!

Bryce Newcombe

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lorne
Lorne Hotel
#3 of 12 in Apollo Bay
Mantra Lorne
Mantra Lorne
#2 of 9 in Lorne

Been to Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne? Share your experiences!