“Last Loving Link to Long ago Lorne”

Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Lorne
San Diego, California, United States
“Last Loving Link to Long ago Lorne”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

The first time I viewed the Grand Pacific, was the first day I ever caught a wave, in 1976. Lorne was a much quieter place then, and without benefit of a freeway, a distant destination. After moving the the USA, I dropped back in, in 1995. The Grand Pacific was still perched regally on the hill, but the rot has set in, with the eyesore pink Cumberland resort. Finally got back to the Grand Pacific. flew into Tulamarine airport, and as promised by googlemaps, I was out the front of the Grand in 2 hours exactly. I didn't recognize the commercialized coast on the drive, but there was no mistaking the magisterial view from the patio out front. Bags could wait, they stayed in the car for a few hours. As a San Diegan, i am a beer snob, and was pleasantly surprised by the locally brewed Spiny, on tap. Surprised quite a few times, as the afternoon unwound. After 2 sad airline meals, the day got even better, as I tucked into the Surf n Turf. Prime Otway beef, and jeez, who often does a Seppo score a Morton Bay Bug?
By now tired and content, I got my bags and ambled up to room 26. For a hotel that has offered accommodation over a century or 2, it still retains its charm and ambiance. Others may have made the mistake of forcing the Grand into the 21st century, but common sense has prevailed, and an understated elegance awaits. All this before I even looked out the window!! The upstairs balcony has the most glorious views of the town, the ocean, and the pier. Any thought of a nap went out the window, and so did I, as I went camera crazy snapping the sensational sunset. Wait until you see these. Sundown on a Sunday night, and I went downstairs to dine again. I'd walked into town, but really, how could I not sit in this grand old pub, and watch the moon shimmy off the ocean, while throwing down a pizza, with a few more beers? It got better. Caught the staff watching the cricket, and invited myself to join them.
Time to hit the sack, with the sound of the ocean ever present, on a comfy bed. Granted, sleeping in is nice, but the wraparound balcony affords you a sunrise as well as a sunset! Surely they would slide the decimal point across, on my bill, if they knew how delirious I was. Run the camera battery down as surely as the Indians had done to Australia, in the cricket, the night before.
Now, I mentioned Lorne has lost a little luster. Well, if you walk out the hotel door, and saunter to the right, you have the Lorne untouched by the commerce. A pier to walk, and quiet little beachlets, away from the maddening crowds, fully festooned, with ancient rock formations, framed by the verdant forest. Alas, it was time to go, one night was all I had allotted. I kept heading west, and the Grand Pacific set a mighty standard, on what ended up being my greatest solo vacation. Thank you, Paul and staff.

Room Tip: Room 26 has the most amazing views.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Bill D
GPHLorne, General Manager at Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Bill D
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and what a wonderful review it is. I agree with all your comments and are very proud of beautiful Lorne, the Great Ocean Road and our wonderful old hotel. Hope to see you again in Lorne on your next visit to Australia.
Regards
Bryce Newcombe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
MELBOURNE
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I havent stayed at the hotel but I have eaten at the restaurant a number of times now and I am always disappointed. The service is terrible. Very unprofessional. I always suggest people go elsewhere. Shame because its a fabulous location and amazing views with a lovely ambience .

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GINGERTWIG
Dear GINGERTWIG
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Whilst I take your points on board I don't agree with them and the feedback I get on a daily basis suggests that the product we offer is much better than what you portray. We have just released our Autumn menu and the response has been fantastic. We have recommenced our traditional Afghan night (Thursdays) to rave reviews, an amazing blend of tastes and flavors. Our service is casual yes but definitely not unprofessional. And I agree the views are amazing and dining in a property built in 1875 is a treat. I hope you do return to the Grand Pacific Hotel and I get the opportunity to welcome you and discuss your concerns because it is my goal to make the Grand Pacific Hotel the best hotel on the Great Ocean Road.
Kind regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Had an ocean view king room and was disappointed as soon as I walked in. Old stained carpet which feels as though it has no underfelt over squeaky floorboards, very tired and half patched up paintwork. Bathroom was inadequate - very small, quite dated, no bench on which to put your things, small shower cubicle, mould in shower, floor not clean and toilet didn't flush properly. No airconditioning. Empty minibar except for milk and unclean glasses. Breakfast not available in room. Had no desire to spend time in room which was disappointing. Grossly overpriced at $240! Carpet on the stairs was worn through and paintwork is tired in public areas. Would be difficult with heavy case - no lift and no offer of assistance. Mantra would have been the better choice - much more fresh.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Anne L
Dear Anne882
Thank you for taking the time to review the Grand Pacific Hotel and I am sorry you did not enjoy the stay with us. Being a historic hotel built in 1875 it has some "quirky" features like different sized rooms, bathrooms and squeaky floorboards, some guests think this adds to the appeal of the beautiful old hotel. Cleanliness and maintenance issues have been addressed and our hallway and stairs carpets are due to be replaced midyear. Unfortunately being historically listed building a lift and air conditioning are not allowed by law. I hope you do return to Lorne again soon.
Regards
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2012

This place is an absaloute gem!
really good value - the food was so good we took photos!
great rooms
great balcony with tame cockatoos
great staff
perfect location - opposite beach but just out of tow so quiet but 5 min walk on beach to shops etc
def recommend

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank frankiegrace
geelong
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My family stayed recently for 2 nights in a 3 bedroom apartment. As promised, we had a view overlooking the ocean and pier, but with no blinds/curtains on the doors and facing the rising sun our apartment was baking hot by 8am. With no airconditioning it was very hot and uncomfortable in the mornings. It looked as though no one has paid any attention to maintenance in the apartment for a long time - a handle came off the window when I opened it, a fly screen in the bathroom was hanging off when we arrived. All the blinds looked beaten up and covered in dust. At $380 per night I expected better. The stairs leading to the apartment were grubby and just set the tone for the place. Overall, this place needs a good clean and some attention. Views aren't everything.

Room Tip: Avoid summer, with no airconditioning it is very unpleasant on a hot day.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank dis a
GPH268, General Manager at Grand Pacific Hotel Lorne, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
thank you for your feedback the new management team has made some positive changes and eliminated some of your concerns.

regards

Management
Launceston
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Looked at the hotel rooms not for the faint hearted. Apartments were excellent, roomy well appointed and clean

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew W

regards

Management
scotland
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Stayed here 1 night and got the last room in the hotel . Room was small but clean and fine for one night . Great location and had a table in the dinning room overlooking the ocean .Foob fab and staff full of friendly banter .

Room Tip: check out roomsize if you need to a cot etc
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple