“Shocking Service!”

Mexican Republic
Ranked #14 of 40 Restaurants in Lorne
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Waited 20 minutes the staff did not take any notice of customers waiting to be served. Terribly understaffed and we were not the only ones to leave without getting any food. A major disappointment

Reviewed July 12, 2013

After trying (and failing) two nights in a row to get in, we assumed that it must be the best place for dinner in town! We eventually fluked a weeknight vacancy.

Dirty water glasses, but an interesting range of Mexican soft drinks, and enough different beers to keep the other half happy.

Few entrees offered, but we tried a pork/jalapeño starter. Tasty enough, but 4 bite sized pieces does not an $11 entree make...

Mains were an interesting take on Mexican. I appreciated the move towards flavours and away from the usual large amounts of chilli (which can be added in sauce form if you like!).

I'd recommend 3 mains for 2 people to share: 1 each left us feeling just a little empty.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Loved this small, casual restaurant. The menu was lovely and authentic, not like the standard Mexican chain restaurants, Good work guys - we will be back. Oh and did I mention the best Margarita!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I dined here with friends on a Sunday evening in May 2013. After partaking in a local running event earlier that day we were pretty hungry and looking forward to a bit of treat.

The place is small, quite stylish and had some groovy tunes playing in the background. Staff trying hard to look and act cool. And cool was the theme of the evening. The room temperature was low. I am still not sure if the tacos we ordered were meant to be served cold. They were fresh and tasty but had no warmth in them whatsoever. The portion sizes were also on the minimalist side.

The margaritas my friends ordered looked tiny but I was assured they were good. Could not help thinking I was getting better value for money with my Corona though.

Probably ok for a drink and a bit of a snack if you are in the area and want a change to pub meals and Fish'n Chips but I am not in a hurry to go back.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Having eaten here several times recently, I'm surprised by some of the poor reviews. Each time I've been, the staff have been super friendly and the food has been great. It's a small restaurant and the menu isn't all that extensive, but it has many Mecican favourites. I think it's well worth a visit.