“Lovely location, lots of wildlife”
Review of Lorne Coachman Inn

Lorne Coachman Inn
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Lorne
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Clean hotel, friendly staff. Got the room at half price ($99). The most amazing birds were around the hotel and the manager was feeding them which attracted people. This was a great bonus for tourists. 2 kms from restaurants but next to a grocery store. Room was fine and there was wireless but no internet room.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CJCollins
LorneCoachmaninn, Owner at Lorne Coachman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2010

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again.

If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at +61 3 5289 2244.

Terry & Angela Richards
Best Western Lorne Coachman Inn.

Reviewed October 2, 2010

We stayed a single night before starting our trip on the Great Ocean Road. Flew into Melbourne Avalon Airport and drove to the Lorne Coachman Inn (about 1.5 hrs drive). Lorne is a nice place to stop over on your trip along the Great Ocean Road.

OVERALL HOTEL: The property is relatively small with nothing particularly special to look at. It’s a narrow space, with free covered parking under the rooms. The rooms are stacked three floors high with no elevator to assist you in carrying your bags; instead you must use an outdoor staircase to get to your room. The view from the walkway/balcony can be nice; however it is somewhat limited due to trees. There are no on-site activities (that I was made aware of), but again, if you are staying one night like I was, it isn’t an issue.

ROOM: I really didn’t have big any issues with the room. If you look at it for what it is (a motel essentially), it was quite nice. Very clean, had enough room for the night and had a basic kitchenette including a microwave, fridge, kettle, etc. The queen-size bed was comfortable and clean. The room also had a desk, television and small sofa. The bathroom was also very clean, and a little small, with a stand-up shower. Overall, the room was more than adequate for the night and helped provide a good night’s sleep. No complaints.

SERVICE: The manager Terry greeted us and was very helpful with respect to our stay as well as helping us plan our Great Ocean Road adventure. He provided us with some free maps of the Road and gave us info on what to see and do in Lorne itself. Very nice man.

LOCATION: The Coachman Inn is located just at the entrance to the city, a little away from the downtown strip. It is a 2minute walk to a good-sized grocery store (Foodworks). The start of the downtown strip begins after an easy 5-minute walk on flat terrain, where you will find lots of restaurants, shops and even a Great Ocean Rd visitor centre where you can load up on maps and info for your trip. The entire downtown core isn’t very large, it takes about 10 minutes to walk from end-to-end, but it is a nice walk. The town is beautiful; the houses are all tucked in amongst the trees on the hill overlooking the ocean. The small size of the town also gives it character and makes you feel very safe even at night.

Two must see spots in Lorne are: Teddy’s Lookout giving a beautiful elevated view of the Road and ocean that lies ahead. Also Erskine Falls is a quick 10-minute drive inland from Lorne, with beautiful view of the falls, rainforest and you are likely to see kangaroos darting into the bushes as we did several times on the short drive out.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Panthalassa
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We stayed here for four nights in mid September. The room was really two small for a bed and sofa sleeper and the housekkeping was a bit hit and miss. The motel is just before you drive into Lorne so is about a 10-15 minute walk to town which wouldn't be a problem except that when we were there it was freezing cold.

There is a Foodworks supermarket next door, but you really need to walk into town for a nice meal.

A guest laundry was a priority when I booked this motel and the day after we arrived I went to do some washing and the machine was full of the motel's tea towels. I finally got the washing on however the laundry was locked before I could finish it. If I was leaving early the next day I would have been very cross. Pattern continued where the owners did motel washing after housekeeping was finished so you had a limited opportunity to use the 'guest (when owners aren't using it) laundry.

The dodgy camping ground mentioned in other reviews was empty when we stayed but I could imagine it would be very noisy and not a great vista in summer when it is full.

There is only one unit on the ground floor, and the rest are on the first and second floors and access is only via stairs.

We had room 10 which was a great location as it was next to the BBQ area with some seating so we had some outside seating area, otherwise the rooms just open onto the narrow verandah.

I was going to summarise that this would be a great one night stopover, but if I was only there for one night I would stay closer to town and the water.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jodi06
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Stayed in this hotel on journey along the Great Ocean Road. As others have noted, it is a little way outside of the main centre - about a 10 minute walk but otherwise fine location, with on site parking. As this was our honeymoon we treated ourselves to the delux room with spa bath. Whilst the room was a good size, sofa, queen sized bed, kitchenette etc - the bathroom was very dated and the air-conditioning/heating system was very noisy.
I would imagine there would be more modern places to stay in Lorne at a similar price.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2010

On a road trip passing through,this place fitted the bill perfectly,could'nt fault it

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We stayed two nights. Originally had booked thru B.W. but canceled it when I saw Wotif had it for $30/n less. They wanted me to pay for internet but finally let me have 24hrs free to placate. Room large,nice studio size with small frig,spotless, shower good, firm mattress, quiet so I had no complaints.
Angela- the owner- even folded our laundry after it had dried- now that is a nice lady going out of her way to help her customers.The machines are free but soap is $2/ load. The husband has a fleet of parrots that fly in regularly for his treats.
Only gripe is that its about 2/3 mile from town center and that its next to a unattractive caravan/camping site

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2010

One of the worst services that I have ever experienced! I had managers hang up on me twice, because they were unable to solve a simple request. Rude and unexperienced staff. I really warn you to book at that place. If anything goes wrong or you have a request, there is no courtesy at this place what so ever! Really terrible experience!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family