“Way too expensive”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Way too expensive”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The location at the end of the pier is great and the team was friendly. However the food was the most expensive we saw in Lorne, e.g. $38 for battered fish and chips, and was extremely disappointing quality for the price. The chips were dry and the sauces tasted and looked like they had come straight out of a jar which is what you'd expect at a fish and chip shop but not somewhere charging these prices. You can eat much better food for less money at other places in Lorne.

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
“Great fish/seafood meals!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We've been a few times this summer and spent New Year's Eve here. It's a great local restaurant at Lorne with awesome ocean semi views. The lobster bisque is fantastic as an entree, the fish fabulous! The helpings are generously, good wine list, and the waiters are ok. Sit outside on a warm day and enjoy a drink or coffee outside watching people on the pier and the local fishing scenery. Love this place! Will going again for this years New Year's Eve. The fireworks go off from the end of the pier at 9:30pm and 12:00pm, don't miss them!

Visited February 2014
Melbourne
“Little slice of heaven”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I've read lots of different views on this place but I always go here when I visit lorne. The location is fantastic. It is a place that is whatever u make it. Me and my family chatted to several other people there and we all really embraced what was a fantastic experience. The crab bisque was nice and the oysters were very fresh. My partner had the crayfish mornay which all of tried and loved. I had the surf and turf which was delicious. It's not cheap but it's a great great place

• Visited May 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Careful of the lunatic”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I won't waste much time on this. My partner and I had the misfortune of starting a few days in Lorne by visiting this place. We ended up never having a meal at this establishment.

Initially I asked if we could sit down and have a drink before ordering. The waiter sort of grunted and turned his back on us while still talking to us and told us to sit down. How charming.

I didn't know what he was trying to convey but we sat down and I walked over to an area that looked like a bar and asked the person if we could have a couple of drinks. The guy went crazy and started literally screaming at me to go, sit down and wait. I couldn't believe it.

I told him in no uncertain terms not to scream at me and we should have left there and then but sat down and ordered a couple of Coronas. The waitress was miserable and come to think of it there wasn't a happy looking staff member in the place. Mind you I noticed the waiter was all smiles when trying to get tips out of leaving diners.

Eventually the owner of the place came over and made a half-hearted apology about his brother who was the one with anger management problems. To quote him he said his brother was 'stupid'.

The whole experience was miserable. We didn't eat so can't comment on the food but the prices were sure high enough to warrant some really decent service. The people eating outside were trying to fight off all the flies. The flies were enjoying the food at least.

All in all it really soured up our stay in Lorne. If I was running a business in Lorne I would try and run these people out of town.

As a postscript, on the way out I saw the owner arguing with the chef and was telling him to leave if he didn't like it. He also spoke to me about the fact that he was ready to give up on the business.

What a sad excuse for a restaurant.

Vic

• Visited March 2014
5 Thank Vic W
Gosford, Australia
“Ho Hum!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

A local priest recommended the crab bisque at this restaurant, and at lunch time, right beside the water was a beautiful place to eat. The bisque was lovely, with very strong flavors and just enough for a light lunch. We tried to order garlic bread, but we're told they only had herb focaccia. We ordered that, but were expecting it to at least be toasted or warmed. All we got was a cut up piece of focaccia and a very hard square of butter.
My husband decided it would probably be more of a dinner restaurant, so we returned early evening on Easter Saturday. The surf and turf was incredibly over priced at almost $50. The meat wasn't cooked as ordered (undercooked) and there was just 1 over cooked grilled prawn on it. When it was brought to the waiters attention that a surf and turf meal generally contains more than one prawn, he laughed it off and told us that this was the way it was always cooked there. My fish, prawns and scallops in foil was around $30 and contained 3 miniature scallops, 3 prawns (all over cooked) and a piece of fish that was the savior of the dish. It was flaky and very tasty. We skipped dessert and still managed to get a bill totaling $130 for 2 entrees, 2 mains and 2 glasses of wine. We wouldn't make the mistake of eating here again, nor would we recommend it unless you want to pay just under $20 to try the crab bisque which was very good, though not worth the price tag.

• Visited April 2014