“Gave it Another Chance, Still Disappointing”

Lorne Pier Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 40 Restaurants in Lorne
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I hadn't been to this restaurant for a few years, as we were made to feel so unwelcome last time, combined with poor food.

The food hadn't improved, though the service was a little friendlier.

There are newer reviews for Lorne Pier Seafood Restaurant

Reviewed January 29, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us and we walked along the beach from the centre of Town to check it out. It looks pretty shabby and we might have turned away but we were told that the food was good. I tried to be friendly with the owner but he ignored my comments and just said "have you booked a table?". We said that we hadn't and got the feeling that we should have been grateful that the owner actually let us eat at his restaurant. The thing is there were plenty of tables that were not booked as we heard a number of Groups arriving and asking if there were any tables, but that they hadn't booked, and being shown to a table. The owner did not see fit to show us to our table - he just pointed. This was not a good start. A friendly welcome and good service can make such a difference to any restaurant experience and it is free! Perhaps the owner was having bad night (although checking other reviews it does seem that he has these rather often). It seemed to us that he changed when serving people he was familiar with.
I ordered the local fish with a lemon sauce and my sister chose the paella. The waitress was helpful and the food was good. We sat outside and were glad we did as it was rather noisy inside. The view and the breeze was much appreciated. All in all we had a good evening but it could have been a great one if the owner had not been so grumpy with us.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have been coming to Lorne with my family every year for 25 years, and at 25 years old, that's not a bad effort. We decided to give this restaurant another try after a disappointing first attempt a few years ago.. We were far from satisfied.. Upon arrival at about 17:30, we were told the only tables available were outside, this was fine. The waitress was prompt at taking our drink orders. It was evident that communication was lacking when another waitress came over to take our drink orders...

We ordered our meals, which were not so reasonably prices, around about $38 for a main meal. I went to use the bathroom. I was far from impressed. The décor of the restaurant itself is very out-dated. The bathrooms made me cringe, if I had of known they were going to be so bad, I would have gone to the public restrooms up the road. There was what, I could only assume, someone else's urine on both seats and on the floor around the toilet. Toilet roll holders were broken and the toilet rolls were sitting on the cistern. Yuck.

The meal took a little over an hour to come out, my party of five were the only diners in the restaurant upon ordering. The meals came out and looked ok. That's as good as it got. The meals were salty, over cooked and lacked flavour. I ordered the lamb-rack. At $38.50 I expected more than I got. The lamb was overcooked and the potato was unbearably salty. My dad ordered the seafood platter for one, it was CRAP! lacked flavour and I am fairly confident that the crab and calamari had been cooked from frozen. Everything lacked flavour. For a seafood restaurant it was very ordinary. On my other family member's plates, the scallops were tiny and the calamari had a rubbery texture, and once again, everything was so salty.

For a bill that came to just under $200 for five, no one left satisfied. We certainly won't be eating here in the foreseeable future. There are many, much more satisfying places to eat while in Lorne. Try the 'MEXICAN REPUBLIC', not very beachy, but VERY satisfying!

1  Thank Annabella391
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We had dinner at here last night. Booked a table for 7 pm for 5 people outside as it was still hot - 28oC. Arrived 705pm only to be told by the owner we were late - and no table!!! Food pretty good but nothing to rave about and dishes were all around $38 each. If only the quality of the food matched the price! Lovely setting beside the water - it's only redeeming feature. Our waiter Andy was lovely. Won't definitely won't be going again. Our English guest was appalled at the way the owner spoke to us and his staff.

1  Thank Spleenie2013
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We went here on a whim after seeing it on an afternoon walk and we were not disappointed. It is a little pricey but everything is on the Ocean Road so you can't really complain about that. The food was very good and presented very well. I loved the flavours. The staff were great and very friendly which actually makes a bit of a change on the trip we did. Most staff in most places were a bit aloof.

My partner liked it so much and thought it was such a special place he decided to get on one knee and we got engaged at the restaurant that night, so it was the best restaurant, food and atmosphere I have ever had! ;)