“great restaurant in Lorne on the The great Ocean Road”

Maple Tree Lorne Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 44 Restaurants in Lorne
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: "We are a collection of passionate food loving, wine drinking, flavour fanatics. We source the freshest Seafood from the region.We love and use local, fresh, seasonal & sustainable produce.Come in and share our obsession."
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Received a table here and it was just great. Had a great linguine with plenty of fresh seafood in it. Unlike many places the pasta was cooked very well and Steak my girlfriend had on Stew which sounds like a strange mixture was incredible. The waiter ,a bloke from Uruguay , very friendly and very very good and making it a very pleasurable experience. Would return again for sure.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We've been to the Maple Tree twice. The first time we looked out over the street out to the beach. It was terrific. The second time we were further in the restaurant. The meals are fantastic, served in a very stylish way. And there's no hurry either. We've had two lovely evenings at the Maple Tree.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Was lovely...food was delicious and the service was 100%... had a great night for our anniversary dinner...thank you

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We rolled up to the esplanade late, didnt even have a booking. Strolled down the main street looking for something interesting.

We looked at several menu's posted out the front of the various restaurants.
Looked at the clientele as well.
Maple looked kind of empty. Many others looked more lively.
My girlfriend kind of liked the grilled whiting that was on offer, it was classified as a medium plate, and she was not particularly hungry, so that draw her attention.
We passed the next restaurant that looked kinda full. It was Mikes.
Looked at the menu, but as is, what is, we thought we would investigate Maple.

The initial impression was that the staff had no idea what was going on.
Ok, it was a long weekend, (labour day), and we were in the midst of the longest heatwave in Vic history. Is that an excuse? We found that although we didnt have a booking, the long haired surfie dude waiter, assured us that he could fit us in. OK, it wasnt that packed.
I commented that I would l would like to sit at the front bar (the front bar faces the pavement).
I said, that I prefer to watch the funny people walk by, to which he responded, "You were one of those until you just walked in.." Touche. Beers and wine came quickly, everytime wich a great smile and eager to please attitude.

OK, so now the test, food.

My partner and I, well we like to share, we ordered the sharing plate of "Calamari, soft shell crab (crispy)". It came with the most beautiful mojo sauce. We asked the waitress to ask the chef, what was the secret ingredient. (his answer came some time later, "it was a salsa verde!"). No it wasnt, In think there was some coconut in there. It was a taste of things to come.
(I think your beginning to think I like this place - yes?)

As said we spotted the grilled whiting server on a bed of salsa broken corn and avo mousse.
Which I ordered. THe girlfriend ordered the bream which came with panzanella salad.
Both dished formed the highlight of our trip to Lorne.

Would I go back to this place? Absolutely.
The staff were great, a little cheeky, but smiles abounded.
5 stars

Reviewed March 10, 2013

A lovely looking place with big open windows. We stopped for a glass of wine and a beer in the middle of the day. We sat outside on the pavement on high stools at a a high table. I had a nice chat about the wine and asked for a recommendation. I was given one and took it. When my wine arrived it had lots of little beasties swimming in it. I took it back. A different man served me who tried for a second to convince me there were no such beasties. But then he stopped and said he'd give me a fresh one. The original bloke came out with my beastie free wine. The wine glasses are lovely. The atmosphere seems so too although being on the pavement it's a little different but still enjoyed it. The beer was an American one not easily bought so a bit of a find but the offer of a larger beer glass would have been nice rather than just bottle or glass. The children were fine with their lemonade. I'm pleased our wine problem was dealt with without fuss.