“A quiet place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 8 Lorne B&B and Inns
Minchinhampton, United Kingdom
“A quiet place to stay”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed three nights here - it was a good first place to arrive to after flying into Melbourne, so we saw the first part of the Great Ocean road and could also enjoy the beach at Lorne on Day 1. Then it worked as a good base from which to explore the next bit of the Ocean road and then finally a good place from which you can spend a day at the beach and enjoy Lorne. The room was freshly decorated, lovely bed linen, dressing gowns and a small balcony to sit on. We enjoyed the breakfasts. It is cosy and friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SianWJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying at La Perouse a few times. La Perouse has a wonderful balance of privacy and warm hospitality, homeliness and luxury, rarely achieved by small owner operated accommodation.

When I stay in cities, I usually opt for big hotels, the service, amenities and price are hard to beat. Without the economies of scale, and access to staff, I rarely find regional hotels that are up to the same standard. A few years back I was referred by friends to La Perouse, whilst I was a little sceptical of staying in a bed and breakfast, I trusted them and decided to give it a go. My office booked it for me, gave me the details, and I set out a few days later, knowing very little!

Having never stayed in a B&B, I was worried about staying in a place that felt like a strangers home, and I didn't want to pay hotel prices for home style facilities and service. I guess I imagined a B&B to be decked out in discount Laura Ashley and operating like something I would enjoy as the subject matter of a sitcom, rather than a place I would like to stay!

From the moment I arrived on my first and subsequent visits, I was impressed. La Perouse has a delightful rambling cottage garden, each time I have visited there is something in full bloom.

I will always remember opening the balcony doors on my first visit. This drew the attention of the owner whom was busy in the garden, and simultaneously set to flight several cockatoos headed right in her direction, she ducked for cover, the birds departed, and a fair bit of laughter ensued!

We settled in quickly to a lovely big room with everything you need. Classic neutral tones, not a 90's floral pattern to be seen. The room size, furniture, bed and linen where of the standard you would expect in a high end hotel, in fact, better than many. As we prepared to venture out, the owner wished us a nice outing, and we asked if she could suggest some where for diner, the suggestion was great, we had a delicious selection of tapas, and enjoyed a stroll along the beach.

Breakfast and coffee are always great, and juice squeezed before your eyes is a welcome treat.

Since my first visit I have stayed at other B&B's in Australia and abroad, and I really feel that La Perouse has the balance of home v's hotel just right. I am happy to find my own way in, and not have a 24 hour reception desk and room service when you get a big, beautifully appointed room in such tranquil surrounds.

I have recommend La Perouse to friends and family, all of whom have enjoyed it. For leisure travel especially, I now find staying at a great B&B and La Perouse is my favourite, to be so much nicer than the impersonal nature of the many hotels I use for business travel. Big rooms, lovely surrounds, personal touches to the service and decor always make for a relaxing stay.

I guess I have grown to find comfort and reassurance that each time I have visited, It is the same person who has made our rooms up, served our breakfast and keeps the place in ship shape order! Without the cast of thousands you find in big hotels, getting all of this done as an owner operator is no small undertaking.

I find it quite remarkable to read some of the criticisms, I travel allot, and stay in a wide variety of accommodation. Each has its benefits, and limitations. Like any product or service, there a commercial solutions that provide uniform and standardised options. Being flexible in some of your expectations gives the chance to experience something special. Finding your own key at a B&B, eating hand made dumplings from a bag, sitting on a milk crate enjoying oysters from a market are little sacrifices I am prepared to make for a better product and a much more enjoyable and memorable experience. Further to the experience, I am much happier giving my money to give my money to a small business rather than a big multinational.

I guess different people value and remember different things, for me I remember the best burger I ever had whilst in New York, the fries where awesome, though I couldn't tell you if they where complementary or if I paid for them. Perhaps others would have recoiled that there was not an option for a 50c upsize or free fries and then lament that they could only get pepsi, when they always have coke. I think it is a shame to be so consumed by what you see as a negative that those things, rather than what was great, become your memory.

La Perouse is small and owner operated, it is not staffed 24 hours, but when you do see someone, it is the owner who is friendly, knows the area and genuinely cares that you enjoy your stay at both the B&B and Lorne in general. I can't speak highly enough of this professionally and passionately run accommodation venue. I find it hard to imagine how anyone could stay here and not leave relaxed, revived, and replete.

Thanks again to La Perouse for my enjoyable stays, see you again soon!

Room Tip: The cottage is really lovely and if I am right its the biggest of the rooms, I have stayed in severa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jay J
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Hubby and I stayed in the cottage. It is the cutest thing you have ever seen. There is a fireplace which would be amazing in the winter and of course the tub for two. We slept like babies both nights we were there- linens are high quality and the place was clean as a pin. Breakfast was served in a little cafe with lots of TLC and attention to detail. The lovely hostesses chat and make sure that you are set with the days plans and offer tips and suggestions of things to see and do. The location is great- a bit off of the beaten bath, but definitely walking distance to everything. There is also ample parking if you are driving in. We slept both nights with the doors open to the patio and just the screens separating us from the outside- so nice to hear the ocean! One suggestion: one side of the screen door is able to be locked from inside, but the other isn't. It would be a good idea to add a lock of some sort so that both can be locked from inside.
All in all, we thought this was a great find in Lorne, and would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Tip: If it's available, book the cottage. There is more privacy, quiet and also a lovely outside...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pursie
LaPerouse, Owner at La Perouse Lorne, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. We have put a lock on the inside fly wire doors. Thanks for your suggestion. We hope to welcome you to La Perouse again in the future.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed there for two nights. We had a Garden room. Very well decorated and super comfy king sized bed. Our first night was wonderful since the place was empty. We woke up to a decent breakfast which could have been great were it not for the dried up pastries which stayed in the heater oven probably for a few hours. Croissants only need a few mins or otherwise they get bone dry. Just sayin'. All of this is pretty trivial stuff but on our second night, the room on top of us was booked by a young couple and there child. We weren't able to fall asleep until 1h30 am because of the super laud TV, banging on the floors (the rooms are poorly soundproofed) and child screaming well past midnight. Since our two lovely hosts (and they really were) do not live in the house and there is no emergency contact number, we couldn't do anything about the noise. It's a shame because the place is super lovely and perfectly located. But for 300$ a night, I was expecting a bit more. Oh, and to top it off, we got charged for a beach towel (10$) my girlfriend thought was part of the room. No mention of a rental fee was made when my girlfriend inquired about a place to buy a towel in town. So she gladly accepted the offer. That is really CHEAP! It was charged after we left since all two nights were already paid when we booked. No mention of the added towel rental charge was made before we left and inquired if there was anything we needed to settle on our bill. Not super impressed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ThomasM1979
LaPerouse, Owner at La Perouse Lorne, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear ThomasM1979
I am surprised to read your comments on Trip Advisor. As you can see from others, we have been the very lucky recipients of many positive comments on this site. Given your public disappointment, I feel obligated to respond via the same media.

I'm glad you enjoyed the decor and bed in our Garden room on your first night, however I apologise that you were disturbed by our guests (mother & 5 year old daughter) staying in the room above on the second night. I am surprised you found the noise of a small girl watching TV so annoying. A knock on their door might have sufficed. Our out of hours numbers are clearly displayed on the sign at the front door and on our brochures in the compendium in each room in the case of an emergency.

Breakfast is served from 8am includes freshly squeezed juice, a selection of muesli with fresh local berries & yogurt plus our croissants are baked or delivered fresh daily. Your comments are frankly untrue and vexatious.

We offer a number of extra services, such as beach towel hire, newspapers, mini-bar, ice-creams, etc all detailed costs are in the compendium and on our website. You will find all the best hotels in the world will add your extras on departure and if anything is forgotten it will be added to your bill. This is standard industry practice.

The rates reflect peak summer (January) in Lorne and are consistent with other accommodation providers none of which include breakfast.

I am disappointed that your stay was so underwhelming despite my efforts to make you feel at home.

Yours sincerely
Laurel, La Perouse
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I were in Melbourne for a week and were trying to figure out where to go for a couple of days. We had heard great things about Lorne so I started researching places to stay and found La Perouse which sounded ideal. It ended up being the perfect spot! We loved our quaint room and fabulous breakfast. The location was perfect as well. I highly recommend!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlisonSBC
Sydney
Reviewed August 16, 2012

La Perouse was our first night's stay for our extra-long weekend adventure on the Great Ocean Road. I had organised this trip as a surprise for my husband and it was the first time in two and a half years that we had been without our little girl ... read much excitement!!! I had put a lot of time, thought and research into where we would stay to ensure that there were no disappointments along the way: La Perouse was the perfect start to our trip.

We stayed in King Suite #2 and everything about the room was beautiful and well thought out. Lots of lovely French touches, exquisite linen, a quaint little verandah with a gorgeous view, a super-comfy bed and a useful little bar fridge. The location of La Perouse is great: an easy walk into town; a little more of a challenge on the way home as it is up a pretty steep hill but that just made us laugh as we felt it was our way of working off our dinner! :-)

Breakfast was also carefully thought out ... yummy muesli, yoghurt and fruit, scrumptious croissants and tasty pastries. The weather wasn't fab so we had breakfast inside but it was lovely to meet other travellers and chat to Laurel.

Highly recommended. Don't miss it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kakil
salisbury
Reviewed April 16, 2012

La Perouse was a delight and so was Laurel, our host.
Beds and linen of the highest quality, spotlessly clean and hugely welcoming.
Breakfast was delicious and plentiful, home made pastries, home made bircher or muesli, fresh fruits etc etc - top quality ingredients, put together with thought.
we loved the French styling and Larels knowledge of all the best places to eat in Lorne and Melbourne.
Worth every penny and would return if ever we were in the Lorne area again. Thank you Laurel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple