“Amazing Stay in Lorne”
Review of La Perouse Lorne

La Perouse Lorne
Ranked #1 of 8 Lorne B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I were in Melbourne for a week and were trying to figure out where to go for a couple of days. We had heard great things about Lorne so I started researching places to stay and found La Perouse which sounded ideal. It ended up being the perfect spot! We loved our quaint room and fabulous breakfast. The location was perfect as well. I highly recommend!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlisonSBC

Reviewed August 16, 2012

La Perouse was our first night's stay for our extra-long weekend adventure on the Great Ocean Road. I had organised this trip as a surprise for my husband and it was the first time in two and a half years that we had been without our little girl ... read much excitement!!! I had put a lot of time, thought and research into where we would stay to ensure that there were no disappointments along the way: La Perouse was the perfect start to our trip.

We stayed in King Suite #2 and everything about the room was beautiful and well thought out. Lots of lovely French touches, exquisite linen, a quaint little verandah with a gorgeous view, a super-comfy bed and a useful little bar fridge. The location of La Perouse is great: an easy walk into town; a little more of a challenge on the way home as it is up a pretty steep hill but that just made us laugh as we felt it was our way of working off our dinner! :-)

Breakfast was also carefully thought out ... yummy muesli, yoghurt and fruit, scrumptious croissants and tasty pastries. The weather wasn't fab so we had breakfast inside but it was lovely to meet other travellers and chat to Laurel.

Highly recommended. Don't miss it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kakil
Reviewed April 16, 2012

La Perouse was a delight and so was Laurel, our host.
Beds and linen of the highest quality, spotlessly clean and hugely welcoming.
Breakfast was delicious and plentiful, home made pastries, home made bircher or muesli, fresh fruits etc etc - top quality ingredients, put together with thought.
we loved the French styling and Larels knowledge of all the best places to eat in Lorne and Melbourne.
Worth every penny and would return if ever we were in the Lorne area again. Thank you Laurel.

2  Thank ted m
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We have stayed at La Perouse twice now and we absolutely love it. The rooms are very homely with a touch of class that ensure you feel you are truly on holiday. The settings and serenity are second to none a feeling of instant relaxation is apparent when you walk through the door. We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and great coffee accompanied by friendly conversation that made it a much more personal experience. The local knowledge of restaurants and places of interest to visit were much appreciated and added to the enjoyment of our stay. Keep up the amazing work, we will be back to treat ourselves again sooner than later.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Well I don’t usually stay at B&BS however I was bowled over by this absolute treasure.

My partner and I arrived late to find the little blackboard with a hand written welcome directing us to our room. The initial feeling upon entering was warm and stylish already won me over.

We entered our room it was warm and tastefully decorated, (no lace or typical signs of the stereo typical B&B) the carpet and all the fitting particularly the TV were all modern and fresh.

I spotted the original little cast-iron fire place and was so happy that I didn’t need to get kindling or wood just click and go instant romance. The heater was on but the fire created ambience.
My partner ran a bath and I opened a bottle of French champagne out of the little mini bar full of treasures (French pear cider and local brews BLOWN AWAY by the selection!! pure bliss. We had a great start to our holiday. The short walk down the hill to the main street and a great selection of bars and restaurants gave us an appetite.

We found a great little Spanish restaurant that served tapas and cocktails, fantastic service in fact the owner drove us home as the rain had set in.

Woke up late(9.30) to the smell of coffee I expected an average plunger to my delight the host laurel was there to prepare us a latte with a breakfast of fresh pastries, coffee till our fill , fresh local berries and Greek style yogurt. My partner is gluten free so laurel cooked her an egg with little baked mushrooms and gluten free toast. We had a fantastic yarn talking about our travels and she gave us a wealth of travel tips for our trip along the road, I then realized this is now my new haven from the city slog.

I can only recommend this secret hideaway. If you need a little more privacy laurel will set your breakfast at the door, just heaven.

Put it on your bucket list absolute service and style with a touch of France

Room Tip: we stayed in the cottage # 4
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank gottlieb m
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Wayne and I stayed in the cottage and were surprised by how spacious it was given the big double bath was in the room and we both noticed how clean it smelt. It was amazing to lie there and see the moon rise out of the ocean. What a treat!! After a relaxing night in a great bed we met lovely Laurel. Breakfast was more than the usual continental, there was freshly squeezed orange juice, a choice of 4 different muesli including gluten free and bircher, fruit, croissants, sweet pastries or toast, a choice of T2s and the best coffee in a bnb. We didnt need lunch. She was very helpful giving us the best tips of Lorne and surrounds (food, sights, etc). All the things she suggested we did and therefore we had a fabulous weekend. An experience worth repeating over and over. We will return

Room Tip: the cottage no 4 is very private but we saw the rooms in the main house and they were gorgeous too
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Caroline H
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My partner and I arrived to be directed to our room via a chalk board notice. The room was stylish apart from the heavy cobweb in the corner of the room. I note from other reviews flower fragrances were welcoming guests to which we had none. No tissues present in case we needed to blow our noses or the likes. No welcoming note on the table. The fridge was an after thought to accommodate dwarfs and the like. It was located on the floor in the corner of the room next to the disused open fire place. The tv was far too small for the room. The breakfast was too early for a Sunday morning being 8-9.30 whereas as stated in the booking was 10am being the latest. I am not a fan of entertaining the host at breakfast and explaining where we had come from and where we were going next. The breakfast itself was nothing short of minimalistic and no offer of seconds. The bowl consisted of 2 scoops of cereal with fresh fruit and a warm croissant with jam, one cup of coffee and pot of tea only. Glad to escape asap. Checkout was stated as 11am however on arrival was 10am. For the cost charged and paid by us and may I add well in advance payment was received by La Perouse with GST added on the cost of the room, we would not return or recommend. It was not value for money and we felt uncomfortable at breakfast as we had no privacy. The room had a nice Parisian style, the continental breakfast was short of enjoyable for reasons of quantity and atmosphere.

9  Thank juliemsobczak
LaPerouse, Owner at La Perouse Lorne, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2012

Dear juliemsobczak,
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. As you can see from others, we have been the very lucky recipients of many positive comments on this site. Given your public disappointment, I feel obligated to respond via the same media.
I’m very sorry that La Perouse did not live up to your expectations, however, I wish that I was aware of your concerns at the time. Always better to discuss in person whereby I could have been given the opportunity to try to remedy your complaints on the spot.
We pride ourselves on quality, style and cleanliness however never promote ourselves as anything other than a B&B which by its very nature is somewhat communal. I’m glad you enjoyed the Parisian style room, however I apologise that you were not entirely happy with some of its features. I hasten to add that all of the gas fireplaces are operational, the small fridge an added extra rather than a regular of other B&Bs, and breakfast usually a highlight of the stay for others – the feedback we get is usually incredibly positive.
I am distressed that your stay was so underwhelming and suggest that maybe a B&B stay is not ideal for your requirements; clearly these were not known to me before confirming your booking otherwise I would have been able to recommend an alternative more suited to your needs.
Yours sincerely