“great food & service...but a little noisy & crowded”
Review of St Katherine's - CLOSED

St Katherine's
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: St Katherine’s was opened in 2011 by Shane Delia and George Calombaris. For the long time friends, St Kat’s is a place where they have brought together their individual family histories, culture and cuisines – a marriage of ideas from Malta, Greece and Cyprus together with an influence from the Middle East. It’s this culmination of ideas will bring together a sexy sharing style ‘mezze’ menu. With its custom made Turkish grill, fourteen spike rotisserie and a wood fired oven, St Katherine’s guarantees a dining experience that is fresh, healthy and filled with flavoursome and affordable food that leaves you craving more. Located in Kew, St Katherine’s offers the local community a restaurant that is both relaxed and warm. Kew, described by Shane as a "family friendly suburb," seemed like the perfect location for Shane and George to promote the ‘shared family table’ for a laid-back, family-friendly eating experience. St Katherine’s features a shared chefs table and food designed by the kitchen daily and served ‘yum cha style’.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Went to this restaurant to celebrate a birthday. We had a dinner sitting and ordered the "when mum feeds me" sharing menu. All the food was really fresh and very tasty. The mezze was extremely generous and filling. The pide was tasty and I was full by the time we were served the meats...but I made it through willingly. The sweet stuss is also delicious and for me the nutella filled doughnuts were a stand-out. All-in-all a great experience. I can empathise with the other reviewers commenting on the noise and proximity of tables but this isn't the place for a quiet romantic dinner for 2. The owners have created a restaurant where anyone is made to feel welcome with really great and tasty fresh food.

1  Thank bigbadlupo

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were really looking forward to this restaurant after all the hype. There are two sittings - 6pm and 8pm. We went on a Sunday evening at 6pm and there wasn't a rush to leave as the 8pm sitting wasn't full. Disappointingly, for groups of more than 6 you have to have a set menu - which basically means you have to have what they give you - not some of the delicious sounding other items in others reviews. The set menu was OK ($60 per person) with a variety of foods - all of which was well cooked. They offered a second plate of lamb from the grill which was great - otherwise the guys would have left hungry. Dessert was disappointing - it was minature chocolate donuts with parfait in a small glass. As chocolate gives me ezcema I asked for another dessert - and all I got was a small glass of sorbet. Drinks were expensive.
I would go with 6 or less people and you can have your choice on the menu.

MAdE_Est, Owner at St Katherine's, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thanks for the feedback.

We enjoy reading both positive and negative reviews as we feel feedback is the best way to continuously improve our offering.
We apologise that you did not enjoy your experience and regret that this was the case as we hold ourselves to high standards in this regard.

I have sent you a DM with the venue manager's contact details, should you wish to discuss your concerns further.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

First I liked the space. Little worse these days than “fashionable” crowded noisy food points, whatever the menu. Yes was a busy Sunday night but the space and sensible seating allowed us mature quiet conversation unharried by a crowd of decibels. The helpful waiter who might have descended from Burt Lancaster explained the per head sharing menus but we each chose starter and main, and glad we did, was plenty. Yes the Med entrees like mahammura (?!) and braised eggplant were devastating, leaving just enough room for a delicious mint, haloumi and ricotta pide (the peppered figs did not shout?). What a refreshing change from pizza! The menu headings seemed corny, like “Stuff” for Starters, but that’s Melbourne.

Thanks for your review.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience at St Katherine's.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The tables are so close together that you can hear everything at the next table. This restaurant has decided whether it's a cafe or restaurant. The prices are certainly restaurant. The food is average at best. The decor is again a mixture of industrial, suburban cafe. It can't make up its mind.

1  Thank sparkyblb
MAdE_Est, Owner at St Katherine's, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thanks for the feedback.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The opening of this restaurant some time ago was much anticipated and for awhile was THE place to eat. I had heard about the banquet menu (called something cringeworthy like 'Let Mumma feed me') and that it was very good and surprisingly people said more than than they could eat. Given that there was only three of us we decided against the banquet menu and ordered separately. The food we had was nice but in my opinion fairly but yet quite expensive. There are many large community style tables (whether they are used for communal dining or not I don't know) but it created an atmosphere much like a food court. What I did think was very good was the manner in which the waiter catered for one of our party who has a myriad of dietary requirements. Their knowledge of the menu and the ingredients of each dish was impressive and they were very accommodating which made it much easier for my friend.