“Needs some TLC, but good value and lovely staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Resort Phillip Island

Ramada Resort Phillip Island
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Cowes
Maryborough, Australia
“Needs some TLC, but good value and lovely staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

I was hesitant to book Ramada based on other reviews, but it still looked so lovely and got a good deal, so I figured we should make our own conclusions by giving it a go. Very glad we did, sure the villas need a bit of TLC, and kitchenware needs some replacing, but we experienced excellent customer service by several staff throughout our stay. The kids loved the pool and the games room, which became a bit costly, but hey, you don't go away to save money. Peaceful surrounds, but so close to everything on the island, we walked across the road to the wildlife park and had a great time feeding the kangaroos and wallabies. As a family destination I would definitely recommend the Ramada.

Room Tip: Villa 311, a 3BR, was just perfect for us, near to all the great facilities and café, and just far e...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RamadaPhillipIsland, General Manager at Ramada Resort Phillip Island, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Tracey W

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to us regarding your recent stay here at Ramada Phillip Island. We greatly appreciate your comments, as they help us in our effort to continually improve our level of service.

We are commencing a number of projects in 2014 that will see the resort further improve in not only the facilities and resort presentation but also the Cottages I have also shared your positive comments with the team here at the Resort

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Ramada Phillip Island.

Mark H Fletcher
Ramada Phillip Island

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Our room wasn't ready by 2pm. Once in the room was very average. The A/C wasn't cold (would've been colder in the fridge. They swiped our card for $100 on arrival in case of damage which was meant to be a hold but they charged us and it was only that I picked it up in the statement, hopefully I can get a refund but still waiting. The power went out only in couple on units half way through the night and never came back on even by the time we had left by 10. Really really bad management, do yourself a favor drive straight past and stay somewhere else. Be warned.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all
2 Thank Joe B

Travelers are raving about these Cowes hotels

Burleigh Heads, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Ramada has such potential. It is in a great location and the cottages are a great setup.
Unfortunately it appears to be very understaffed and no management present.
We stayed in a 3 bedroom cottage, and i thought it was very well setup, except the fact it only had one ceiling fan. The weather was in the 40 deg temps and it was like a sauna in there..
The pool was disgusting , it was very cloudy, there were hairs floating around everywhere, and there was no shade, or seating around.
I was quite shocked to hear and see the behaviour of the cleaning staff when they were cleaning the cabin opposite. It was very unprofessional.
We did voice our concerns with staff regarding our stay, and it sounded like they had skeletal cleaning/maintenance staff and no management to report to.
It was such a shame, it would have such potential if it was managed properly.

Room Tip: If staying during warmer temperatures, make sure you have an airconditioned apartment. They are hot...
2 Thank Tara M
Jan Juc, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed a couple of nights in a 2 bedroom cottage this week. After reading the reviews regarding no air conditioning in the cottages I requested a cottage with it - which we got. Luckily as the temperature was nearing 40. Overall I rate this place as average - in reality it should be awesome!!!!! We experienced similar things as other travellers - room wasn't ready, had to wait, we had to call them to find out when it was ready - instead of them calling us, etc. We swam in the pool once and once only, then opted for the beach. The pool is very cloudy and appears dirty - I didn't feel comfortable swimming in it with my family. Our package deal included breakfast, bottle of wine, DVDs daily, etc. However when we arrived to check in the resort had no record of it. For example turn up for breakfast and you are asked for your vouchers......um what vouchers.....we weren't given any!!!! Can we have our bottle of wine please....sorry that is not on your booking. Anyway in the end we got all our things. When I checked out they had put the breakfast on my bill.....ahhhhh smile again and remind them of our package! The cottage was ok - clean however in some urgent need of attention. Once again the little things - sliding door doesn't work, clean floors except under the couches, box of tissues with one tissue in it, the bedding arrangements we requested when booking we're not correct. They need to spend some money on the cottages to bring them back to life. Anyway one positive is that all the things were fixed up - no dramas. The cottage we had was private and the grounds were well maintained. The staff are nice and friendly and do their best. The staff need to slow down in their vehicles. I saw some of the younger staff flying around in a golf cart - trying to race a ramada van. Not cool with kids around. Would I stay again.......um......nah.......Not unless they spent some money on the place and sorted out the service.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Matt R
Mt Martha, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

What a terrible overall experience we had on our recent visit to Ramada Phillip Island over the New Year 2013 period. I walked into reception at 16 mins to 2pm and before my name was taken I was advised by the lady behind the desk that my unit was not ready. How she knew this without taking my name is beyond me. I was rudely advised that check in was not until 2pm, which by this stage was about 13 mins away! Returning to reception at 2pm I was lucky enough to be checked in, but be warned, the majority of people were being directed to wait at the pool because their units were not ready. When we pulled up to our unit we were greeted by an extremely overrun garden full of weeds and a very 'tired' looking villa that appeared not to have received any love to the exterior in quite some time. A photo has been taken of my 6ft husband standing next to a thistle weed that reached the top of his ear. A disgraceful amount of massive weeds were the only view you had off the rear deck. Inside unit was fairly clean, however the couches could do with a steam clean as they looked very very dirty and stained. We decided to stay at this establishment due to the many facilities it offered. We were so disappointed to find that on New Years Eve, during the afternoon, the resort decided to close the cafe and bar. We entered that cafe at about 3pm to get a drink from the bar and we're told the only product they could help with was take away coffee. I have never in my travels come across a 'resort' that closes it's facilities during their peak season.
When checking out on the 3rd Jan 2014 I expressed all my concerns/feedback to the front desk lady who assured me management would be contacting me in writing. After 2 weeks had passed and still no contact from management regarding my stay, I sent an online general enquiry via their website asking them to please contact me regarding my stay. To date, I have not received any communication from Ramada and it has now been over a month since when checked in. This is disgracefully customer service on Ramada's part. Happy to take our money, but they are not happy to deal with their unhappy patrons.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Monique_N001
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

We had booked an apartment at this resort some 8 months prior to requiring it. We expected, therefore, that we would have a satisfactory experience. Alas no! The temperature when we checked in was in the middle 40's centigrade and indeed, had been in this range for the previous two or three days. We were directed to the apartment without any mention of the air conditioning situation and when we got there found that the inside of the apartment was like an oven. We called reception who informed us that there was no air-conditioning in the department.
I must say that the manageress handled the situation very well but nevertheless we had to cancel the reservation and move to another motel.
I will never use a Ramada facility again - how can a resort in an area well known for its frequent high temperatures operate rooms and apartments without adequate air-conditioning?

Room Tip: Just don't go there!!!!!!!!!!
2 Thank CharlesBoehm_12
Daylesford, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

we really enjoyed Ramada, had everything we needed at a very reasonable price. We did use all the facilities provided and found them to be excellent, especially breakfast at the café. Café overlooks the pool so we could enjoy a coffee while the kids enjoyed a swim. We found the staff to be very helpful & friendly. A great base for a family visit to Phillip Island, close to Cowes & all the attractions, would happily revisit

Dear Marie C

I have shared your positive comments with the team as it was fantastic to hear that both you and your family enjoyed your elves during your recent stay with us

Mark H Fletcher
Ramada Phillip Island
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
The Castle Villa by the Sea
Comfort Resort Kaloha
Seahorse Motel
Seahorse Motel
#1 of 10 in Cowes

Been to Ramada Resort Phillip Island? Share your experiences!