“Family friendly holiday destination”

Ramada Resort Phillip Island
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Cowes
Melbourne, Australia
“Family friendly holiday destination”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Just spent 4 nights in a 3 bedroom cabin with two bathrooms and two TVs. Plenty of space to relax and prepare meals. Close to Cowes shops and main island attractions. Two pools, tennis courts, BBQs and delicious pizzeria meant you didn't have to leave the resort in you didn't want to. We were very glad to have an air conditioner yesterday. Set amongst native bush, the units felt private and were well spaced out. Reception staff were very efficient and friendly. Would stay again!

Room Tip: In summer ensure you have an air conditioner in your unit or it would be too hot.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Gavin P, General Manager at Ramada Resort Phillip Island, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear SueW 158
Melbourne

‘Family Friendly Holiday Destination’…what a great comment and that is exactly what we are trying to achieve here at Ramada – Phillip Island. Particularly as we have many family groups stay with us not only over the school holidays but throughout the year. Many of our guests love the 7km of safe walking/riding tracks around and throughout the property. A great way to see and the birdlife in their natural habitat. It is a common sight to see numerous groups of children playing, riding bikes, scooters etc’ as you meander around the property and wetlands. Great to see them enjoying their selves in a comfortable, safe environment. Thank you also for your positive comments about our staff, this will be conveyed to the various team members on your behalf. Thank you again for choosing to stay with Ramada – Phillip Island.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Have just spent 4 nights at Ramada “resort”. We stayed in a 2 bedroom cabin which was adequate but basic. The bed was very comfortable (although I find it hard to see why a doona cover is laid over a doona and does not encase it). The bathroom was appallingly small. A tiny shower , a very high basin with nowhere to hang clothes or comfortably put a toilet bag. Fortunately we were travelling as a couple but if we had had children it would have been very difficult I imagine. A separate toilet is great but why could there not have been a hand towel at the basin in there? The lounge area is very small and the television is old and small with few channels
The policy of being fined if you don’t do your own dishes and put out your rubbish is dreadful. Obviously the staff don’t check if the dishes have been washed properly as there were some unclean items. Outside our unit there were empty pizza boxes and plastic bags thrown in the dead/dying bushes. Despite asking for the area to be cleaned nothing happened. Inside was a poor standard of cleanliness. I would not have walked around barefooted as the floors were gritty
The general air of the units is one of tiredness and much needs to be done to bring Ramada up to resort standard. The prices were very high (yes it was holiday season) but we still expect a certain standard and this was far from it.
The few staff we saw were polite but not enthusiastic to help.
We were unaware it was luck whether there was air conditioning in the unit. Fortunately there was but it would pay to check before booking.
The pizza place on site served excellent fare.
We will not stay here again but neither will be stay at other Ramada resorts in case this is the accepted standard.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary J
Dear Mary J
Melbourne

Many thanks for posting your review. Please accept that your comments have been noted and points will be addressed with the respective team members, to ensure that we do not experience a repeat of those same issues as described. Thank you for your positive comment about the wood fired pizzas. They are indeed very popular with our guests and visitors alike. Glad that you enjoyed them!
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was expecting great things when we turned up at the Ramada to check in to our "villa" for two nights. Maybe they should call them tin cabins, and that way people are less likely to have high expectations??
The "villa" itself was very basic with a tiny lounge area, a small tv and lets say about 6 channels. We fortunately did have an air con unit, something which i see from reading the reviews is a blessing!However, there were no air con units, not even a fan in the bedrooms which is just ridiculous if you ask me! The walls are very thin and you can even hear people opening the doors on their cabins. And its very difficult to sleep when you have some bloke using his phone on the decking. cheers neighbour.
I would agree with other travellers with regards to the fly screen by the doors, there was no 'locking' feature and so you had to carefully manoeuvre the doors so that there were no gaps with the adjacent windows.
The crockery and glasses were a bit random in the kitchen, with 4 champagne flutes (i have no idea what you would be celebrating) but only one wine glass. I was pleasantly suprised to see that the dishwasher powder and washing up liquid were complimentary.
The bedrooms were clean but I couldn't get my head around why the duvet wasn't in its cover? Is that because they dont have time? or they cant be bothered? WHY??
We wandered over to the pool area at one point and we needn't have bothered. There was nowhere to sit.
On a positive, the resort has a good location, only a few mins drive from Cowes.
Overall I would say this resort is shabby. This resort has plenty of potential. RAMADA: please just start changing the little things and these will soon start making an impact!
By the way your reception staff were very friendly and helpful and they probably could do with a payrise for all those complaints they have to deal with!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear LozJC
Cardiff UK

Thank you for your review and posting, with comments in relation to your recent stay with us. Yes you are correct it is those ‘Little Things’ that can often make the difference to a stay. Please be assured that we are definitely endeavouring to get these ‘Little Things’ right to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay and holiday experience with us here at Ramada – Phillip Island. As you would agree it is an awesome task to either meet or exceed one’s personal expectations as we are all different and have various expectations and needs. Your points have been raised and discussed at our team meeting and have been taken ‘on board’ with a positive approach to implements improvements within these areas. Thank you again for your comments in relation to our ‘friendly and helpful’ staff, very much appreciated.

Travelers are raving about these Cowes hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Booked a 3 bedroom villa while staying at Phillip Island for 2 nights. Villa is clean and well maintained. Master bedroom has an ensuite. It is in a quiet location, about 5 minutes from Cowes town centre and 15 minutes from Penguin Parade. Tried the pizza place one night and it was great, good value and nothing fancy.

Dear United4ever
Sydney

Terrific to hear that you had a ‘Great Time’ and enjoyed both your selected accommodation and our facilities. Yes I would agree with you our wood fired Pizzas are fantastic and one of the things that we do well. Great! that you also found our location to be ideal for your stay. Thank you.
Reviewed January 13, 2013

very poor quality accomodation and facilities. paying peak rate. units were shabby and needed a good clean. crockery and glasses dirty and several cracked. beds were half made. cover over doona not put on properly.cleaners need to be spoken to and management reviewed if they consider this an acceptable standard. pool facilities were poor. with a "resort" of such size to have 4 banana lounges for 2 pools is a joke. no other furtniture to sit on round the pool. do not recommend and despite us going to phillip island frequently would recommend a caravan park before this at half the price.

3 Thank kerrie b b
Dear Kerri B B
Melbourne

Please accept this response to your posting as both an acknowledgement of the points mentioned and that these have been both addressed and responded too with adequate explanation previously via this forum. Regards Ramada Resort – Phillip Island
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I've just arrived home from staying at Ramada Resort for 2 nights and my overall experience was that it was good but not great. The 3 bedroom cabin was lovely and modern but quite dirty. I had to wash any cups before using as all of the cups on the shelf were placed there without washing by the last guest (Ramada's policy is that you have to do your own dishes before you leave or get charged. I thought that this, along with the taking out your own rubbish or you'll be charged policy were a bit silly for a "resort" style accommodation).
The decking including the furniture were quite dirty and covered in old bird poo (I've seen a few reviews on here with this complaint and a staff member has replied that they are cleaned as often as possible but because the resort is so big they can't do it everyday, my response to that is to hire more staff! Simple house cleaning comes with even the cheapest hotel accommodation usually, so this shouldn't be a luxury, it should be standard). We couldn't use the deck because of the uncleanliness, there were even scraps of party popper string on the deck and in the nearest bushes, I could tell from how old it looked that it had been there for awhile so it was obviously left over from New Years celebrations and that was nearly 2 weeks ago..).
The floors in the cabin were dirty, I walked around with bare feet in the first 5 mins of being there and my feet were covered in dirt and dust..
We arrived after hours and our key was left in a safe however we had called a few hours earlier and notified the staff that we would arrive after hours but there was no light left on for us, a map was provided but the actual area around the cabin was really dark and we were walking around with our luggage for about 5 minutes before we found it, we actually walked into 2 other cabins before we found our own.
My last complaint isn't about something that happened to me personally but I was concerned however because as we were leaving and checking out, there was another guest argueing with the staff member about not getting her $100 deposit back because she paid cash instead of using a credit card and she couldn't find her receipt. I believe that it should not have been an issue. The staff should have had the appropriate paperwork in the office and been able to provide the lady with her refund. People should not be discriminated against for simply not having a credit card and it's not like she wanted something for free, just the money she was entitied too.. This was the first thing that made me think that I wouldn't perhaps stay there again.

On a good note. The bedding was very comfortable. The cabin was very pretty. The location was great. The pizza from the onsite pizzeria was delicious.
It's in a great location, central to everything Phillip Island has to offer.. And it was affordable (as long as you pay with your credit card).

Note to staff: you could go from ok accommodation to great simply by hiring more staff and offering better housekeeping services.. Or simply enough to ensure your cabins are cleaned properly. I didn't enjoy spending the start of my holiday doing dishes and then finishing doing them again..

But if you read my other reviews (there's only a couple) you will see that it is definitely not the worst accommodation available in Phillip Island..

Room Tip: I've read a few reviews where people have complained about not having ar conditioning.. My room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ashlea M
Geelong

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive and detailed review with regards to your recent two (2) night stay with us here at Phillip Island. We accept your comments and take the ‘good’ with the not so ‘good’, these comments assist us to improve both our service and product presentation to our guests. The reported housekeeping comments have been conveyed to our Housekeeping Team to address as part of their review process. Delighted to read that the bedding was comfortable, the cabin very pretty, that the location was great and the Pizzas delicious. In addition to our location being ‘great’ central to everything and that the accommodation was ‘affordable’. All very positive comments, definitely sounds as though we have some things right, but with some work still to be done! Thank you again for your review, much appreciated.
melbourne
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Staff are happy to book you in but that is about all. The "Park" is understaffed clearly to save money however this may be their demise in the end. The very limited staff on duty are also obviously "over" having to take the slack. None the less they are "resistant" to helping out and simply do not!!! We
We booked with three other families and specifically requested that we were close together, so our young children had easy access to their friends etc. My family was put at the very top end of the resort and we were forced to drive back and forth. Only after much complaining and repeated follow up from myself, not the staff, were we relocated.

My son realised he had left something in the old room, so I contacted the front desk at 8:30am, on a Friday, no one was in yet...obviously somone had an oncall phone and told me they would send an email. They did not !! I called the desk from 9am and was given various excuses as to why nobody could help me....they had no contact with housekeeping, they had no access to housekeeping's lost property, the housekeeping manager was not in yet. They told me we could not access the room because someone had checked in already!!

Anyway by 2pm, still nothing, I found 5 housekeeping staff, having a "ciggie" outside another unit and inquired as to whether they had cleaned the old unit.... they had!!! In fact they had just finished it and thankfully they had found my sons electronics.....yeah to housekeeping, at least!

The front desk checks guests in, so telling me the unit was occupied, when it definately was not, is what really makes their service shocking....Lies, Apathy, Attitude and more Lies...

By 5pm, I still had had no follow up whatsoever from "reception". I went to follow up, all I got was more of the same lies, attitude etc etc

On another note...the "cabins" are very basic but I had been warned. They were mostly clean except for the floors. The four families had a great time but really we could have been anywhere. We did enjoy the privacy of the cabins and eco-ness of the park. The pools were fine but had three lounges in each...for over 200 cabins...it is a joke...really

Ramada is Definately NOT a resort... so the lower your expectations the better off you will be
Final Note.... we had a great time and made use of what was on offer....

are obviously understaffed to save money and the few staff

Room Tip: Insist on airconditioning. Request to close to "Health Club" and pools. Request electric k...
1 Thank melglee
Gavin P, General Manager at Ramada Resort Phillip Island, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowes
The Waves Apartments
Comfort Resort Kaloha
Silverwater Resort
Silverwater Resort
#1 of 3 in San Remo

Been to Ramada Resort Phillip Island? Share your experiences!