“Average” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Continental Hotel Phillip Island
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Cowes
“Average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

First thing is first, i must say DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE BASIC ROOMS. we were given a night at this hotel as a present. my Wife, Daughter and myself all spent the night but we had to upgrade to a better room. the basic rooms all they are is a queen sized bed in a brick room with an ensuite a tiny fold out couch (advertised as a single bed) and a bar fridge. However. the room we upgraded to was fantastic. the breakfast was a reasonable spread for a Continental Breakfast. everything was fresh the only thing i didnt like about the breakfast was the cheap wax paper tablecloth.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2010

In the name of fairness and for the sake of balance, I must add a comment about The Continental Hotel. Having read the previous reviews, I'm left to wonder one thing -- are we all talking about the same place?

I travelled and stayed with a work mate, fearing the worst after what I'd read.

At check-in the staff were friendly and obliging. "Hmmm, I thought...the worst is yet to come".

Wrong. Our room was clean, neat, functional, and had the benefit of an ocean view and a fair-sized spa. Sure, the room was a little dated, but on a value-for-money scale I rate it high.

Don't be put off by the negative reviews -- they were not our experience. We loved the location, the room, the service AND the spa.

Give them a try. I really don't think you'll be disappointed. We weren't.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2010

Well wasn't expecting the Ritz, didn't pay for the Ritz, but $140/night will typically buy you something clean, comfortable and with reasoable services. On checking in was happy with the friendly desk staff and thought it wouldn't be too bad - how wrong could I be? The room itself was grimey, the window in the bedroom was broken and taped up, the toilet kept running, the second bed (a pull down) looked like a 300 kg person had used it as a trampoline. Oh well, we really only went for the site seeing and a weekend getaway I told myself so let's just get some sleep and a better day tomorrow. Sleep was tough in the noisy room with people shouting at all hours (not their fault though I know). Breakfast, included in the rate, was a choice of coco pops, corn flakes, nutri grain and a a few other cereals. A heater was keeping some water warm for an instant coffee.
After a day of site seeing was tired and hoped for sleep. The broken window let all the sounds of the nearny nightclub/bar in so that proved difficult.
Topping it off however was the next morning. The power went off and there was no hot water as well. I rang the desk only to get told we don't have a maintenance man on Sunday. We were offered no discount, no real apology and just checked out and left. REally, and I mean this, don't waste your money here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank SDL67

Travelers are raving about these Cowes hotels

Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

This hotel was appalling...I am talking a hole punched in the wall, tired carpet, dust and dirt everywhere in the hall outside rooms. There were cobwebs in the shower windows and general feel of grime.
I was so upset that I had to move our family without staying there the night...outragoeus...no refund no apologies...it's hardly even a three star motel. AVOID!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank FamilyHolidaySydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2009

I booked a studio suite through wotif and had no huge expectations for the so called listed 'hotel'. My partner and I were looking forward to a nights away in Cowes, Philip Island, but on first impression of the front of the hotel and not to mention the tacky and ultra dated reception, I was already turned off to an extent I was not looking forward to seeing our room's state. Upon entering the studio suite (room 204), I was considering in all honesty (as was my partner) to possibly sleep in the car. It was a rough night, no warm water, only cold. After 15 minutes of drying to get at least a hint of warm water, I tried turning the bath tap first to hot before trying the shower tap again. This worked, slightly. So, don't have high hopes for a nice hot shower in winter! The room decor is seriously 80's and absolutely depressing. There was chocolate-like marks on the mini bar fridge, obviously smeared from the guests before us and the musky and old smell of the room is suffocating at first, but you'll get used to it. And if you're being offered 'buffet breakfast/breakfast included', all you will get is an unstaffed room, where you as a guest are left to fend for yourselves with only a few slices of white bread, 3 cereal selections and plain awful coffee in a room that just feels lost. Firstly, this is not a hotel. This is a motel and it is just so simply obvious by driving by. All the images I have come across through wotif and the hotel's website are nothing but decieving. I am so disappointed, but it was a lesson learnt. If you're after nothing special and are fussed on clean and comfortable, this is it, otherwise, please re-consider your options.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bungalow555
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

Could not have been more disappointed! Paid $240 per night (through travel agent) and when queried my room rate after arrival (& seeing the room) was told by receptionist that our room is usually $120 per night..??? Absolutely no help from hotel staff when I requested a room change - and they weren't even fully booked! The Website is very misleading!!! Room was musty, no water view, pathetic concrete balcony (when you could even get to it through the weathered and jammed sliding door), double bed was 2 singles together that weren't even same height, fold out sofa bed was so crappy even our 3 year old couldn't sleep on it, even the shower was terrible! Very old and run down and very noisy. No info on check-in. Didn't even see the pool? Breakfast was horrible - right down to the bags of 'Coles' white bread they had (they didn't even remove it from the bag!). Definately find somewhere else!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Holiday_Time_YAY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

Hotel is located beutifully but it is really run down with 1970's deco, very ordinary furnishings, there was not what we expected lloking on internet site, everything what was already included in price (champagne, chocolates, beer, food voucher) we had to ask for.
By the way where is that indoor swimming pool????
Hotel kitchen closed 8pm on Saturday!!
Next morning we arrived to used by date milk served for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple