“fish & chips for the beach”
Review of The Fat Seagull

The Fat Seagull
Ranked #22 of 85 Restaurants in Cowes
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2013

located a short walk from the sand, with great portion size, lots of choices - take it down to the beach and enjoy the views

rob3922, Owner at The Fat Seagull, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Hi Lisa W,

It is unfortunately a little belated, but we would like to thank you for your review on your take away fish and chips nonetheless.
We're glad you found our portions to be ample, and the range of choice to be large enough.
We welcome you back anytime for take away, or dine in!

Warm Regards, the team @ The Fat Seagull

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

After we arrived late we were greeted with a very friendly smile , extremely impressed with the range on the menu, our meals were fantastic and extremely filling , the cocktail range was excellent and very tasty!! We will definitely come back again very well done...

Hi Kahmala,

Although a little late, we would like to extend our thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback for us on tripadvisor and we appreciate your kind words about our venue!
The staff here always strive to have customers enjoy a pleasant and filling experience with value for money to boot!
Feel free to pop in and say hello whenever you are around, we would love to have you join us again!
Once again, thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your experience!

Warm regards, the team @ The Fat Seagull

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Got a couple of take away pizzas to eat down by the beach. Service was quick, pizzas were OK, but nothing special.

rob3922, Owner at The Fat Seagull, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Hi Grumpy_academic,

Even though it is belated, I would like to thank you on behalf of the team at The Fat Seagull for taking the time to leave us a review on your take away experience!
Naturally, I am a little disappointed that you found our pizzas to only be 'OK' as we strive to provide above average food for everyone. In the recent months we have altered our pizza recipes to improve them for the enjoyment of all customers. We hope that you will join us again for dine in, or take away from our menu!

Warm regards, the team @ The Fat Seagull

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Have been to The Fat Seagull a few times... totally enjoyed the Tuesday half price menu on Pizza & Pasta.. Great Food...Check it out

rob3922, Manager at The Fat Seagull, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2015

Hi Koula D!

Thank you so much for leaving us your kind words on your dining experiences with us here at The Fat Seagull. We're so glad we can continually provide you with great food and a lovely dining experience and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm Regards,

The team @ The Fat Seagull!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Possibly the WORST place to buy food from. Not just on phillip island, but the whole planet. Seriously. It started off bad when I ordered a $20 seafood basket to be told it was $4 extra to eat in, EACH MEAL (for what??). My girlfriend ordered the schnitzel w/vegetables (12.80). We took it take-away (un surprisingly).

We got home to discover that we had (apparently) ordered the deep fried dead-rat (allegedly chicken schnitzel) and fish fingers with side order of mouldy salad (seafood basket) and a couple of soggy chips. The dead rat had leaked its sauce all through the car. All of this so far would be fine, if the meal hadn't cost over $30 and we were in Kabul. Which it did and which we weren't.

We took it back and asked for a refund, to which we were refused on the grounds that the food was 'takeaway' and was still edible. After pointing out this was not the case a refund was still refused and we were informed we "didn't have to eat it". Yup. Incidentally before I wrote this review I looked at the one below me which said a very similar attitude problem.

In summary:

Overpriced (for what you get) - seriously want a schnitzel go to woolies and buy one for, say, $3 and cook it yourself with a microwave bag of veggies, it will be 50 times better.
Terrible quality and quantity of food - like above, but for the good of the world I need to reinforce my point.
Moronic and rude staff - yeah, really.
No thought to food preparation or transportation - how hard is it to buy a little container to put the sauce in so it doesn't leak all over my car?

Again, I can't stress this enough, DO NOT eat there. I only wish I got a photo of the rat before we threw it out, alas I was too enraged.

3  Thank Ben2791