“Group Dinner”

Panhandle Tex Mex Eatery & Bar
Ranked #33 of 85 Restaurants in Cowes
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Under new management, the Panhandle Restaurant serves an array of Mexican and Texan food, with a fully stocked bar; including frozen Margaritas and a selection of local and imported beers and wines. Warm, relaxed atmosphere with front and rear alfresco dining areas.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Went into the Panhandle with great expectations - especially seeing I like texmex/Mexican so much. Well I must say it was a bit disappointing - margaritas were premixed in slushy machines and I am sorry to say they definitely don't stand up to a proper made drink; boys said the beer was slightly flat off the tap (could of needed a keg change I suppose).

There were 2 children with us who ordered the childrens nachos' - well all it was was melted cheese over cc's??? that is not nachos people!!! and I had a bean taco - which wasn't even heated? I could've bought the ingredients in coles and made it at the hotel for less. Really disappointed and wouldn't recommend as a stop... overpriced and they need to step up their game a bit.

The staff were polite but doesn't make up for the food quality especially as it wasn't cheap. Will be trying somewhere down the road next time.

1  Thank gboland

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Visited Mexican restaurant with another family (4 adults & 5 kids) we ordered a nachos to get us started - it was very good.

Mains were ok but nothing we couldn't cook at home. The prices were very expensive for a family type restaurant.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

This was by far the worst Mexican food I had ever eaten. I really think they went to the supermarket down the street for all the ingredients. Poor service; we really couldn't understand why they were turning people away when there were oodles of empty tables in the restaurant and outside tables were mostly empty, claiming they were booked. We were there a little over an hour an no one came in to fill these tables. They insisted you needed a booking to come in....very strange. The service was poor and the food was incredibly overpriced for mexican food. They really need help managing this place. I do believe they should employ about 5 Mexicans to show them how to do it!

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Came here with wife and 2.5 yo. Atmosphere was kitschy Mexican which was fine. Staff friendly and service good. Food was ok. They had high chairs and a small kids menu. Some booths which is great but a bit cramped getting in and out of them.

We shared nachos for entree which were big and very generous on the cheese (not just the top but covered throughout). Very light on sour cream, salsa and guacamole though, so ratio not great. You're left with just cheese corn chips for a large part of the dish.

I ordered the trail blazer of chicken wings, sausage, ribs with BBQ sauce and "bigger than Texas" potato. Potato was smallish, but meal big. A bit one dimensional in flavor but probably my fault in what I ordered. I should have ordered Mexican! I've had much better ribs.

Nothing special but worth a visit if you're feeling like Mexican.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Right from entering the restaurant we were greeted with smiles by the staff shown to our table menus given and the drink order taken. Opened the menu to read meals when busy may take up to one hour, a little off putting however with a group with plenty to talk about so no problems. Our young smiling and full of life waitress returned to take our orders.The meals arrived in around 20 minutes to our surprise and they were huge good sized portions defiantly great value.
Then the taste test right from the first bite we all looked at each other great flavour we would all defiantly come back for another meal