“Wonderful fresh fish with a Spanish flare”
Review of La Bimba

La Bimba
Ranked #9 of 30 Restaurants in Apollo Bay
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Davidson, North Carolina
“Wonderful fresh fish with a Spanish flare”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our host at Apollo Bay Guest House had made a reservation for us at this lively restaurant. Her recommendation was well received. My husband, sister in law and I had been traveling all day her from Adelaide and us from Auckland through Melbourne. We were happy to enjoy good food and wine and relax over dinner. The menu was quite extensive and we each ordered different selections which were all well prepared and nicely served. The restaurant is small and located on the second floor of a building on the main drag in Apollo Bay. Our only complaint was that it was a bit warm and close. There were large parties being served on a warm night with the windows open. Minor complaint compared to the wonderful food and service.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank JMac28046

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Very good food”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The restaurant is very nice and tidy, the service is very friendly and polite and the food was delicious! What more could you ask for??
The only negatives I found with this restaurant is that is is quite expensive and the food takes a very long time to come other than that we had a wonderful meal and a good night.

Visited June 2013
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
“Excellent in every way”
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We just had one of the best dishes that we have eaten ANYWHERE. One of the day's specials at La Bimba was a baked Turbot (looked like a huge flounder) with a salsa-like relish of tomatoes, red bell peppers, ginger and cilantro that was truly spectacular. The fish was baked to perfection and the relish was brilliant, so full of flavor. We had a side of broccoli with shaved parmesan that complemented the fish beautifully. The restaurant is lovely and the owner waited on us herself. She has a restaurant to be proud of!

Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly and professional staff, the best food !”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

La Bimba was absolutely fantastic and I wish I could move Apollo Bay closer to where I live so I could go there again.

The food was fantastic! In our group (me + parents) we had two steaks and one lamb with crushed peas for our mains. The steaks were cooked exactly as requested (one medium-rare and one well-done) and the accompaniments were delicious. The lamb, which was my choice, was one of the two best meals I've had so far this year (the other was in New York). The meal size was filling but left enough room for dessert. Perfect!

The desserts were a little more experimental. In our group, we had a liqueur affogato (dad), assorted icecreams (mum), and a earl grey tea and cocoa tart with honey icecream (me). I liked the flavours of the dessert and to be able to try something different, although I might choose a different one next time. My parents also enjoyed their desserts, dad especially.

The staff were friendly and professional, keeping an eye on the table to see if we needed anything and keeping the water glasses filled, but without being intrusive or making us rushed. We were there in May which is the "off season" so the restaurant was not too busy.

The restaurant has a modern and comfortable style with a mixture of curved wooden beams and Moroccan-Spanish influences. We really liked that the windows were open and we could enjoy the breeze while we had dinner. I also liked that the restaurant had an open kitchen.

I'd definitely go there again if I was in Apollo Bay.

• Visited May 2013
sydney
“Need to be more consistent”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We had a mixed experience after being recommended to try La Bimba. We had spanish seafood soup and steak local squid and a pasta. One entree consisted of two small pieces of squid marooned on a base of mash for which they charged $20. The other entree at approx the same price was brimming with mussels crab and was delicious. The difference in servings between the two entrees made us burst out in laughter when we saw them. The seafood pasta was tasty and a fair serving whilst the steak was ok but lacking anything else.
Should have complained more but the German waitress was nice and her boyfriend was one of the chefs.

Generally the food was tasty but overpriced. Would not go back again.

• Visited April 2013