“Pub meal ~~~~~ well we couldn't get one”

Bush Inn Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 18 Restaurants in Deloraine
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 30, 2013

When visiting Deloraine we decided to go out for a meal, so I looked up trip advisor to see what places there were to have a good meal. With seeing the feed backs we decided we would go to try Bush Inn Hotel meal. Rolled up only to find the pub closed (Monday night) with a group of polite backpackers there. Went to another hotel and was told they only open when they want to. WE feel you don't run a good business in that way. Word gets around of what places are like. VERY DISAPPOINTED "BUSH INN HOTEL AND RESTAURANT"

4  Thank touring1893

Reviewed December 3, 2013

After reading some positive reviews about the Bush Inn Hotel, my son, a friend and I dined there recently (Sunday lunch). We had the place to ourselves, which was surprising given the great food! On booking, I'd asked if they had vegetarian and gluten free options and when we arrived the waitress took time to tell me all the different options (there were quite a few) and offered to 'adjust' other items on the menu to suit. I chose crispy potato skins, substituting the bacon for mushrooms and asked for a side salad with it. The friendly waitress asked if I wanted it as a 'mains' (it's usually an entrée) so I did - but should have stuck with the entrée size as it was a huge serving (8 potato halves) - each topped with mushrooms, red onion, tomato and cheese and served with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce. They were crisp and SO delicious and the dressing on the side salad was to die for. I could only manage to eat half (luckily my son has hollow legs and finished it off for me). He ordered a chicken parma which was very generous and came with chips and salad. My friend had battered scallops - again a very large serve - with chips and salad. We all thoroughly enjoyed the food - which was reasonably priced. My son managed a dessert - lemon lime tart served with cream and icecream - which he said was delicious. The outside of the pub and the décor inside isn't flash but the food is superb - as is the friendly service. Will definitely be going again and would recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank Sylvia B
Reviewed December 3, 2013

On a recent visit to Tasmania, partner & I stumbled upon the Bush Inn in Deloraine. A restaurant we thought we'd like was closed, & we had passed the Bush Inn on the way into Deloraine (from Westbury) so it really was serendipitous.
Decor, both externally & internally, is not a high point: The Bush Inn harks back to an Australia that is sadly becoming extinct: the country pub. Anyone old enough to have visited pubs when it was bona fide travellers only, would recognise The Bush Inn immediately.
The dining room is vast & spartan. We had a table by a window looking out at old cottages across the street. A quirky twist was provided by a handwritten, suspended, sheet of paper informing us that a blue whale's tongue was as large as x many elephants (I have forgotten just how many).
The only other customers were obviously locals & having a good night.
Service was rendered by a warm, bubbly, young lady who fitted well into the ambience of the place.
We had garlic bread which was really good: hot, crisp & fragrant. This was followed up by mains: for partner a lamb shank, for me a hotel speciality The Bush Inn steak. Partner's lamb shank was large, with plenty of perfectly cooked lamb, served on a bed of mashed potatoes. Mine was a variation on a Reef'n'Beef in a sauce featuring Kaffir lime leaves. Steak was a huge Scotch fillet, rare as requested & beautifully tender.
Diners help themselves to vegetables at a servery where the range was extensive & featured some old favourites such as cauliflower cheese.
We wandered back to our car replete. Tasmania is absurdly beautiful & we are sure to return. When we do, we will look forward to renewing our acquaintance with Deloraine's Bush Inn. If you are travelling thereabouts, do yourself a favour & treat yourself to a meal there. Well-cooked meals, friendly service, at prices representing really good value - hard to beat.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

The beauty about this pub is that you can guarantee that the food will be fresh, tasty and plenty of it! Meals and drinks are reasonably priced, the self serve vegetables in the bain marie are always tasty and plentiful. With the closure of a couple of good restaurants in our little town in recent times is just reassuring that there is still at least one that provides good food and good service. Try the battered scallops. So good!!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I and two teenage girls dined here. The welcome was friendly and nothing was a trouble. The food was delicious, especially the salmon taste plate. The atmosphere is very cosy and light. I would recommend this dining room.