“Ho Hum”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Lara
“Ho Hum”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Restaurant Red has a good feel and a great menu featuring local produce.
Our first night we both had gourmet pizzas which were delicious - my only criticism of that meal was the out door heater near us ran out of gas- we would have need to move to finish our meals and also stay warm. This option was offered to us. Service was slow but friendly.
Next night we went back booked for indoors and ordered main meals my pork loin was ordinary for $33.95 basically mash with pork on top and spinach.
My husbands eye fillet was excellent but he said the potato tasted reheated. We would have ordered dessert but service was slow and finally when our plates were cleared the only option were some tired looking cakes in display cabinet or gelati.... too cold -we passed.

Visited April 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“Maybe I should have had pizza”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The decor and setting are comfortable and clean. Quite European. Too much stuff on the tables tho. I was expecting much better food given the majority of ratings on TA. Maybe I should have just had pizza. I had tomato and vegetable soup entree that tasted and looked so much like it was tomato paste and stock. It made me thirsty and i could not eat the entire entree. The vegetables in the soup were not cooked. Crunchy undercooked onion in soup is not to my liking. Maybe that is how it was meant to be however. The butter that came with the bread was an alfoil wrapped butter portion. Like you get at the RSL Club bistro. Again not what I expected given the ratings and the prices. I had stuffed squid (entree size) for main. It was tender and filled with minced mixed seafood. The filling was quite spongy and I expected more flavor given the array of mixed seafood that made up the mixture. My partner had rack of lamb on mashed potato with red wine jus. Requested medium/rare. Was a little overdone but meat was still nice and tender. We asked if the red wine jus was house made and we were assured it was. Please note that some people can have major allergic reactions to ingredients in prepackaged food and sauces. So if someone asks this question, it is best to be very honest about whether it comes from a packet or is house made, lest you make someone very ill. Or worse, kill them ! The pinot Gris we had with meals was very nice. Service was very pleasant. We were asked several times if our meals were ok. Once is enough. All in all an overall average and would probably not go out of my way to go back, due to what you get for the cost. I'd like to rate it higher given the obvious effort that has been put into the decor, setting, cleanliness etc and the staff are nice, but the food just didn't quite do it for me.

• Visited April 2013
Launceston, Australia
“Very nice surprise”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We had a very good lunch. The food, drinks and service were great. Real value for money. We will go back.

• Visited April 2013
Mid North Coast
“Delicious Gelato”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were taken here by a friend for dessert. It was the perfect end to the evening. The staff were lovely, the atmosphere lively, the gelato was just divine! Yum I'd go back here in a heartbeat! Next time I'm going for dinner as well!

Visited March 2013
Hobart, Australia
“A Great Find!!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Fantastic food, excellent service, and a huge selection of things to choose from. We were so happy to find this place on our trip up from Hobart, highest recommendations!
We had the blue cheese gnocchi and a pizza and both were superb, as well and the aioli chips.
Top marks for this place.

• Visited February 2013