“Loved every minute”

Bicheno Penguin Tours
Ranked #3 of 13 things to do in Bicheno
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided tour to see little penguins come ashore on the beach each evening.
Canberra
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Loved every minute”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

it's been a dream of mine to see penguins in the wild so this was a must-do on my trip to Tasmania. The Bicheno Penguin Tour was easy to book online. We found the staff to be very knowledgable. We saw a lot of penguins (around 70, I would estimate). We saw them come in from the water and waddle up the beach to their nesting areas. We also got to see penguin chicks in nesting boxes (smelly little things!). Highly recommended.

Visited December 2013

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Expensive tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

We liked that we got picked up not far from our accommodation. You travel in a mini bus to the destination. I guess they charge $25 pp as they have staff on site and it is a business. There were not many penguins to see (about 6-10 max) and we got taken around the walk again so we could see them again. Not good when one has to use a walking stick. The ground was level enough but too much walking. The time of year was also a factor as many had finished malting and gone back to sea. I also got to see the penguins at Wynyard where all they ask is a donation which goes to the preservation of the penguins. We saw 3 times more there.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Julz0407
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great value and informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I don't normally write reviews but felt I should share my experience as I almost missed out on this great tour after reading the poor review below. The tour itself was very well run and my guide was very educated on the penguins. For the price we got timely comfortable transport to the site. Albeit there were not great numbers of penguins those we did see were up close and relaxed in our presence. On two occasionsa penguin came up to my foot and was within 10 cm f oof my stationary foot. Amazing experience!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Itravelsometime
Brisbane, Australia
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Excellent tour, had penguins step on our feet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We were not expecting to see penguins to close but our informative tour guide Jake led us through the area and even had the penguins walking over our feet. There were plenty to see and they arent scared of people which allowed them to walk through the group. The tour guide answered everyone's questions and kept us entertained even when we were waiting for the penguins to come up from the water. Was an excellent night.

Tour goes for an hour

Visited February 2014
Wauchope, Australia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Unlike the majority of other comments I have to report a poor experience. We were not told prior to the tour that most of the penguins had finished their moult and had returned to sea. Our guide was a young girl who seemed to have only basic knowledge and delivered it rather grumpily. We saw a few penguins in their nesting sites but none coming up the beach - not the penguins fault! So, on that particular night with that particular guide, we felt our $50 was a poor investment.

Visited February 2014