“Feels like home”

Bicheno Backpackers
Reviewed June 3, 2011

nice & cosy place. arrived late on rainy day evening, thought that i will have difficulites to find the place due to the dark. but, it's quite easy to locate it from the main road. just look out for the signboard as you approach the town center from Coles Bay direction. located behind a white church building.
the moment i saw the room, first thing that came into my mind is 'comfortable'. two different buildings with different kind of rooms. i stayed in the dorm rooms building. overall, it's a warm and cozy place. you can get a lot of informations about what to do in Tassie in the living room. there is a TV with some viewable channels,i am refering to the reception quality here.
you can find all you need to cook up a storm in the kitchen. it's well kept by the hostel management. so if u find it in an unpleasant condition, it's the fault of an irresponsible traveller.
note that you have to make sure that your foods are labeled if you stored it in either the refrigerator or the kitchen cabinet. otherwise, it will be dumped.
toilets are clean. the washing machine doesnt spin dry.
restaurant, stores and some attractions are within walking distance from the backpacker hostel.
btw, no free wifi.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank nukesryme

Reviewed April 5, 2011

Bicheno Backpackers was the best hostel we stayed in during our visit to Tasmania. It was clean, comfortable and in a great location to walk down to the bay or Bicheno blowhole. The staff were really friendly, the dorm rooms although very small, were clean and comfortable and the kitchen was well equipped. The only downside is the toilet and shower facilities which could do with updating. 2 toilets and 2 showers also isn’t really enough, especially when the hostel is full. The building we were in had a kitchen in the centre and then all the rooms came off it so it was really sociable.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank JHG22
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I had a great stay at the bicheno hostel last month. The dorm beds are comfy, and have individual curtains for privacy, and hooks and cubbies to store your stuff conveniently. The kitchen and washrooms were very clean, large and easy to share with others. Also, the shuttle to the national park to hike around wine glass bay stops just in front of the property which is super convenient, especially when you are short on time. The couple that manages this hostel are wonderful, and go out of their way to give you travel adivce, and make sure that you are happy with your stay. They actually drove me to hobart, including me on their family trip, saving me a day wait for the bus and allowing me to see the salamanca markets. I was totally amazed at their generousness and cannot thank them enough!! I would highly reccomend this hostel to anyone traveling on Tasmania, it's deffinitley worth the trip to bicheno. Thanks again guys.

Room Tip: the dorms- beds are much better than other hostels
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank canadian_chick05
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Stayed for a couple of nights to go visit Freycinet NP. The hostel is popular with groups but the hostel has 2 buildings with a kitchen each and so thankfully we stayed in the "quiet" building. Everything was clean and tidy. We had a twin room with 1 double and 1 bunk bed. The hostel is in the town centre and you can walk to coffee shops and supermarket. Make sure to go to see the blowhole which is nearby by the granite rocks.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Great hostel. For solo travelers, families, couples, ...
Clean and spacious.
If you are interested in birds or plants, the owners have good books on that which you van borrow.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We had just stayed at a fairly luxurious in Hobart which we loved and so you would think that would lead to a comparatively negative view of a backpackers but that is not the case. This was one of the best backpackers I have ever stayed at. The common room was large with a decent sized kitchen and you never felt cramped or in each other's space. That is no small feat as we travelled with a boisterous 5 year old boy. There were views of the ocean from the common room. The hosts were very helpful and friendly both in email contact beforehand and during our stay. There was an old TV in our room. We had a small ensuite toilet and sink. Showers were communcal but decent. A big plus for us that there was a box of toys for kids.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed my stay. I was on a tour with under down under, so there were eight of us staying overnight. As soon as we arrived, I was struck by the cozy, hippie, and beautifully home like atmosphere I felt. I was really comfortable, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone traveling through. I normally just expect hostel bathrooms to be a bit disgusting, but this one was surprisingly clean. Lovely. Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: January 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bicheno
Beachfront Bicheno
#8 of 12 in Bicheno
Wintersun Gardens Motel
Bicheno's Ocean View Retreat
Bicheno East Coast Holiday Park

Been to Bicheno Backpackers? Share your experiences!