“Excellent accommodation, shame about the food”
Review of Aurora Ozone

Aurora Ozone
Ranked #10 of 21 Restaurants in Kingscote
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: It's the restaurant of the aurora ozone hotel but you can eat there even if you are not staying at the hotel.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just spent 2 nights at the Ozone with a Scoopon voucher. Great value deal, we had an executive ocean view suite on the 1st level of the new building. Couldn't fault the room which was extremely clean and comfortable.

We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first night, food was very average.
My partners entree "texan style buffalo wings" ($15) were 3 small dry chicken wings with no spice or heat whatsoever. My main course "reef and beef" ($39) was presented in a very unappetising way. Far too many chips, unattractive lettuce salad on the side, steak plonked haphazardly on top of chip mound, couple of prawns and squid pieces (out of a packet) swimming on the side in way too much sauce (dianne) that masked the taste of everything else. Very disappointing. My partner's pork ribs were tasty and he was happy with his serving. Another unappealing part of the meal were the fat flies continuously bouncing of the dirty windows we sat next to. Needless to say, we ate elsewhere the following night.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Good variety on menu. Seemed to have a big crowd each night and service was usually quick. Tasty food and child friendly. Better to eat near bar as not as noisy.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We loved our room in the new section but both of our dinners were so-so. We were in AU for 6 weeks and this was our only poor meal. After leaving most of the food on the plate, the wait person didn't say anything but we told her and there was no apology...........

1  Thank Ronald N
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We popped into Aurora Ozone for my recent birthday lunch whilst visiting Kangaroo Island and we were in no way disappointed by this impromptu stop.
As it was my birthday I tried a first for me and had a platter to start which included Oysters. It was a Kilpatrick Oyster so did get away with it a little but had no issue in trying it out.
For main I had a traditional South Australian Pie Floater which came served in a large bowl and with a side of well cooked chips which was really filling and tasty. The others in my party had a range of dishes from burgers to Parmi's and I heard no complaints. The burger that came out was actually dropped as it left the kitchen but the waitress quickly got the chef to cook up another one fresh and apologized profusely for her mistake which was excellent of her.
Drinks were standard pub fair and service was good. Would have no issue in going back.

What really made the experience was sitting in the window of the restaurant over looking the bay and watching a pod of dolphins fishing for their lunch and seals sun bathing near the pier.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Want to stay at an affordable but very comfortable and pleasant hotel that feels luxe?
Enjoy and the breakfast was lovely too.
Thanks for making our stay enjoyable :)