Southern Ocean Lodge
$106
$69
Kangaroo Island Seaside Inn(Kingscote)(Great Value!)
$117
$95
Agoda.com
$76
$70
Agoda.com
  • Free Internet
Kangaroo Island Acacia Apartments(Kingscote)(Great Value!)
$131
Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge(American River)(Great Value!)
$96
$74
$174
$112
Casuarina Coastal Units(American River)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsgreat roomwine cellarthe cliffsea lionsincluded toursfood and wineevery mealremarkable suitekangaroo islandevery aspectbucket listhigh expectationsfloor to ceiling windowsstunning locationclassic menuother guestsremarkable rocks
Reviewed March 19, 2014

What a wonderful 6 nights, from the moment you step through the doors to a breathtaking view, first impression did not disappoint. The staff are well chosen, exceptional service all with a smile. The suite we occupied was fabulous which had a hot plunge tub overlooking the coastline. A large lounge, well stocked fridge, large screen TV which we chose not to use, separate bedroom very large bathroom all with coastline views. We could not fault any aspect of the stay.
The highlight has to be the Chef and his team. Our taste buds thought they had gone to heaven and back, constantly excellent. The tours of the Island which were included were well run and informative, and included highlights of the island. We made use of the day spa, and hired a car to tour the opposite side of the Island.. Would not do it any differently. Congratulations and thank-you to all staff.

Room Tip: Good walking shoes a must and a camera.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent 3 nights here and we were enchanted. Everything about the lodge exceeded expectation which had been raised high after feedback from friends. Location is spectacular, the lodge distinctive, rooms spacious and comfortable and food exquisite. Despite quite average weather we took the signature trips, hiked to west bay- so wild and lonely, went beach fishing and both walked and cycled to Hanson bay for a swim in crystal clear weather. A great spot for an adult escape it is not really suitable for children. A pool would have made it perfect but apparently a lack of water and power rules this out. Other than this I would not change a thing.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Isolin
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The views are breathtaking. Service very good. Staff well trained, friendly, professional and attentive. Rooms spacious and well stocked. Bar is open. Virtually no 'extras'. Inclusive tours stunning.
Internet runs slow in the lodge so you can really rest if you choose to!
Kangaroo Island is surprisingly large, with a very small friendly population and wild life everywhere. We saw all the animals we hoped to see, in the day, evening and on the nocturnal tour. Bring a good camera!
It's a special place for a wonderful holiday.
We just returned after a 4 day stay. Would we go again? - yes !!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MSoriginal
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Just back from 3 nights in this stunning place. From the moment you arrive you feel indulged and spoilt. The whole experience was truly amazing. There are only 21 rooms so the whole place feels quite intimate. The service was wonderful, the staff are incredibly attentive and friendly. Nothing is any trouble. The food fabulous EVERY single meal, as was the wine cellar. We went on several of the tours, the highlight for us was seeing the Sea Lions at Seal Bay, thanks Alastair. The views from every room/terrace are just stunning. We shared a double room with friends and it was gorgeous with plenty of space. The beds were very comfortable and I loved the lovely soft linens on the bed. Bathrooms and large and beautiful, and the hair and body products supplied are gorgeous. We also had a spa treatment each. I had Rebecca for a massage and facial, she was fabulous. We had beautiful weather, but I reckon the this place would still be amazing with inclement weather, just sitting and watching it in roll in and around the cliffs would be a stunning spectacle to behold. Personally I would bring children under 12 to this resort, it feels more like a special couples place, but having said that there is certainly a lot of amazing things on Kangaroo Island for them to see and do. We had read a review just before arriving rating Great Southern Ocean as "Terrible". I couldn't disagree more. Thank you Allison, John, Gerald, Victoria, Rebecca, Alastair, Yen, Antoine and everyone else who who from the moment we arrived helped make this awonderful, relaxing and throughly enjoyable long weekend that we will remember forever.

Room Tip: The double room with shared lounge worked well for us travelling as 2 couples. The lower the number of the room the further down the walkway you are from the lounge dinning area. I'd suggest requesting a room number 10 or higher.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2014

In my opinion, this is the place. THIS IS THE PLACE! I couldn't construct a better hotel or resort in my mind that would exceed SOL. At the same time that I say this, I will say that SOL might not be for everyone. I will explain that qualification later.

21 rooms in total (each room named after a different shipwreck not far from our location) were all connected in a row by a ramp that leads to and from the main room of the hotel. The room was exquisite with a view that faced out to the Ocean (Or was it a sea? I'm not sure as I write this.) But for me, the important aspect of this resort for me was the level to which SOL goes to make you feel like you are at home. You are greeted in the driveway and led into the main house like you had reached Fantasy Island or Shangri-La. John, the manager, leads you into the main room with floor to ceiling windows facing the water. The view as you arrive is breathtaking. No other word could adequately describe this. John sits you down to welcome you, to tell you a bit about SOL, has a drink brought to you, and soon canapes are offered. John explains how this main room with its ambiance, the refreshments in its multiple coolers, everything that you can imagine that would be there or anywhere else in the resort would be available to you and at your disposal. The service only got better from there.

And the food, from breakfast through dinner, was about the best food I have ever been served. SOL had better be careful, I would think. This chef could easily survive and succeed in any top-end restaurant in Australia or here in the United States: creative and amazingly appetizing. Everything is locally grown and as fresh as can be and it tastes every bit of it. Want something off the menu? Not a problem. It can and will be created for you. Just ask. Really. Just ask.

I'm not sure that I have ever stayed at a hotel or resort of this caliber where you truly felt like you were at home. A very, very remarkable home with amazing views, incredible food, a spa, and a wine cellar that had no end. But get up early and watch the sunrise from the main room. Once the kitchen opens, someone will come over and over you a delicious cup of coffee (a Long Black is recommended) while you look at email perhaps or glance at news back home on your iPad.

This does bring me to the only "negative" that I can think of. There is WiFi on premises for those who do need to stay connected to the real world (I did), but the signal is weak at best. That can be a positive thing as well, as perhaps someone was trying to tell me to back off and relax. Given their location, I'm not sure that WiFi could be improved, but, if it could, it probably should. I might have worked a bit while I was at SOL. but I always remained relaxed!

Okay, now the part about maybe SOL isn't for everyone: This is a true eco-resort. They are concerned about their environment on Kangaroo Island and making sure they do little or nothing to harm their surroundings. SOL wants to fit in and it does, even visually. The hotel is built into the contours of the land, recycles whatever it can, including water used by the facility itself. But trust me when I say that nothing about the ecological practices of this great hotel effects the level of service or the high standards to which you are treated.

And here are the big things that might effect some travelers. There is no pool. There is no gym with treadmills or elliptical machines. There is really no beach where you can lie down and sun yourself and jump into the water when it gets too hot. This is a different place. But I wasn't there for this kind of vacation and I am convinced that no one else that I met had any expectation of that kind of trip. But you should make sure that this is what you want here and be happy with that.

There is a spa and a well-equipped one for a small resort. So indulge and enjoy.

I could go on because there is so much to say about SOL that is so positive. But I have to end at some point. This is a special place. I encourage you to go here and enjoy yourself. This is one fabulous place!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are outstanding. They all have floor to ceiling windows and all face the ocean. Truly, there is no reason to be concerned about or to ask about an upgraded or better room. Each room is remarkable.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple