Southern Ocean Lodge
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsgreat roomwine cellarthe cliffsea lionsincluded toursremarkable suitefood and wineevery mealkangaroo islandevery aspectbucket listhigh expectationsfloor to ceiling windowsstunning locationclassic menuother guestsremarkable rocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Before we left I had a good read of the reviews for SOL on trip advisor and I have to agree with all the positive things that were said about SOL. The friendly welcome, the staff, the food, the rooms and the whole ambience of the place really do make the Southern Ocean Lodge a very special place to stay. Perched into the coastline with all rooms looking towards the ocean the SOL is truly a unique place. The spacious rooms are thoughtfully designed with privacy the key so that you can have a shower or a bath with all the windows open looking out to sea and know that there will be no one around to spoil that relaxing moment. It was great to see so many overseas visitors being so gobsmacked by this beautiful place. The food was very special and as a vegetarian I had my own creative menu every day. Their philosophy is that you have to treat the place like your home, so you can go into the wine cellar and pick and choose your own wines, with only the extremely expensive wines to be paid for out with your room package.This is not a cheap holiday but we had four marvellous days there and they were worth every penny/dollar!.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea and all are as good as each other.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mcwheel
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had a wonderful three-night stay at Southern Ocean Lodge. Not only was the lodge itself exceedingly comfortable and beautifully furnished, with great views of the coastline, but every single member of staff we spoke to was also friendly and very good at their job, meaning that the service was wonderful. The food was quite something. From breakfast to dinner, it was deliciously tasty and often locally sourced. I have a nut allergy and the Lodge always had a special menu prepared for me ready in advance. The atmosphere is friendly and relaxed and guests can be as sociable or as private as they wish. Overall, every care we could have had was taken care of and we could think of absolutely nothing the Lodge could improve and no reason not to give it 5 out of 5, which we have never done before!

Room Tip: Room rates vary quite considerably so it is worth thinking about what you actually need/want in your room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul J
Reviewed January 9, 2013

What an amazing holiday! Southern Ocean Lodge is well worth the money. It is an exceptional lodge with views that must be experienced. Walking along the beach, looking out over nothing but open wilderness and ocean, smelling the most amazing air, enjoying food that is beautifully prepared, beautifully presented... We enjoyed every single moment. The night sky is inky black which means the stars are able to really shine. The staff are such a key point of why the lodge is so superb- they are friendly, attentive, knows everyone by name but are in no way gushy or snobby, they are well trained and really nice people- Fiona is such an asset but they are all fabulous. I would give Southern Ocean Lodge 15 out of 10!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christine T
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is my first Trip Advisor review so it was clearly something exceptional that inspired this and Southern Ocean Lodge is indeed exceptional. This was a rather expensive place for us. Many of the guests had three homes and clearly operated in a different sphere than my husband and I. In the end, I felt it was not only a fabulous place to stay but actually a good value for the money. Many tours are included and as many folks have talked about, the food was impressive. The lodge is staffed by very polished and professional people and the setting of Kangaroo Island is a fantastic resource. I would go back in a heartbeat and would strongly recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: The rooms are pretty similar but the ones farthest from the lodge are a bit of a walk so some folks might need to consider that.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kate S
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in November. We had very high expectations based on the comments on this, and other review sites - we certainly were not disappointed by any aspect.

The attention to detail in all areas was excellent and staff were all fantastic. They all did a great job of making the experience personal and certainly didn't seem to be 'putting it on', they did genuinely appear to really enjoy making every guests experience personal to them, and as enjoyable as possible. No requests seemed to be too difficult. Fiona's memory about my wine choices was superb!

The day trips were well spaced out with both time to be able to relax, and also enjoy some of the wonders of KI - very knowledgeable guides.

We left feeling very relaxed and would absolutely recommend this lodge without hesitation - as most other reviewers also do.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple