All reviewsgreat roomwine cellarthe cliffsea lionsincluded toursevery mealremarkable suitefood and winekangaroo islandbucket listhigh expectationsfloor to ceiling windowsflinders suiteclassic menuother guestsremarkable rocksworth every penny
Reviewed August 3, 2012

So.............gulp, sigh I just want to go back! It was by far the most magical place I have ever stayed.Every box is ticked, I expected to feel out of my depth in such luxury but everyone and everything that surrounds you is real, welcoming and its like staying in a wealthy friends house! Great value, great food and the view is intoxicating ( it wasnt the open bar, where incidently you could help yourself to a selection of quality liquid) and this may seem odd but the lodge smells amazing too, lemon myrtle seems to drift around.We were asked when we booked whether we would like to go on a 'signature experience' and having stayed on the island we declined as we were there to just rest, and the managers obviously ask this not to sell you something but because they really want to know what sort of stay YOU want. We were never asked again whether we wanted to do this or that, just asked if we needed more food or wine or G's&T's. Only Problem for me was that we only stayed for two nights, three would have sent me into a relaxation Coma......I am currently saving for my next visit.

Room Tip: every room has a view, but get one with a bath- it looks over the ocean, oh and bring your bathers as there is an infinity hot tub on the deck which we would have loved to use.- Go in winter -not many guests and excuse to sit in front of the fire!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Emma G
Reviewed August 1, 2012

By far, the best Hotel experience we have ever had.

This place is simply magical. Very special and worth every penny.

The hotel is beautifully located in a national park. You feel like you are living on a desert island. The rooms are tastefully decorated, huge, modern - just absolutely lovely.

The food was out of this world. Local produce, clever menu, excellent service.

I could not make a single suggestion for improvement.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank panzer164
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Our family have just returned from a 3 day stay at SOL and it was exceptional. Meticulous attention to every detail - Kangaroo Island to its very foundations. The Lodge, the rooms, the food, the service, the staff, the KI experiences all exceeded our substantial expectations set by SOL marketing material. Whales were breaching, dolphins surfing, seal pups learning to swim. Not to mention the incredible birdlife, koalas and kangaroos.. and the fish we caught on a nearby beach cooked to perfection by the chef. Don't go to the snow - go here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 270kabby
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This place really epitomizes warmth, thoughtfulness and style in the way they have put together their beautiful lodge and how they treat their guests. I was there recently for only 3 days, I wish it could have been longer, but they helped us make the most of our time, truly customized our experience and thought of every possible detail. When I had an early spa appointment so missed the designated breakfast hours they put together something for me in my room... thoughtful details like this, plus engaging staff who really get to know you and care that you are having the best time possible make the place exceptional. The views from every room, clifftop vistas, activities and beautiful cozy accommodations add to the experience, local, exceptionally prepared food, wine and ambiance just top it off. I love being pampered, this is an exceptionally beautiful place that they all clearly love and want to share, so I can't say anything bad about my experience. Favorite staff: John, our waiter, Jamie a local tour guide and Mel and Kate who give tours for the lodge, and John and Alison who create the experience... but everyone was wonderful. thank you!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank traveler2798
Reviewed July 18, 2012

From pick up at the airport to the moment we left, SOL provided the best holiday experience we have ever had. Outstanding venue, outstanding suite, outstanding service, outstanding staff, outstanding food and drink and outstanding activities (Kate and Mel). Nothing was a problem for Helen and Sara at Front of House, John (our waiter - sadly moved to another property) was fantastic. For anyone looking for the perfect break, SOL is the place to go. Thanks to John and Alison and all their staff for providing such a memorable holiday.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple