All reviewsgreat roomwine cellarthe cliffsea lionsincluded toursevery mealremarkable suitefood and winekangaroo islandbucket listhigh expectationsfloor to ceiling windowsflinders suiteclassic menuother guestsremarkable rocksworth every penny
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We have been to SOL 3 times. Once at Christmas 2008, June 2009 then May 2011. Quite simply, we just love it. Nothing is too much trouble. You can do as much as you want or as little as you desire. Many people wonder why we go back to the same place but it suits us perfectly. We have our own business to run in Queensland and we aren't able to take extended holidays so we seek quality over quantity and we can honestly say we haven't been disappointed at SOL. We've stayed in 3 different styles of suite and they have all been excellent - love the heated floor tiles.
In a funny Australian sort of way, everything seems to happen without a lot of fuss - there doesn't seem to be an uncomfortable display of "airs and graces". The lady that wore her slippers to breakfast probably typifies the easy-going nature of the resort. Maybe "laid back - six stars" would be a suitable comment.
We will be going back because there is so much more of Kangaroo Island to see and you wont find anything better than Southern Ocean Lodge.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank GosfordPooley
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Had a wonderful stay on the island. A facility and service second to non. I've stayed at luxury lodges all over the world...SOL is top shelf.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank mikegonzo
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Our stay at the Lodge was one of the best holidays ever! The suites are top quality - comfortable beds, deep bathtub, heated floors, luxurious thick bemboka towels .... everything you could possibly need.
This is a place where you can do as much or as little as you like.
You DO need to stay for 3 or 4 nights though, because you must allow time to relax around the lodge as well as explore the island.
The tour guides (eg, Jess, Ron and Brian) were fantastic - so patient and informative. Nothing was too much trouble.
The restaurant team (eg, Fiona, Sally, Ree and Amy) were amazing - they were responsive, warm and very friendly. Nothing was ever too much trouble.
Scott at the spa was a godsend - one of the best massages I've ever had!
So....if you want a short, and very relaxing, ultimate holiday this place is for you.
We'd return in an instant.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank Sue B
Reviewed April 28, 2011

From the moment we were collected at Kingscote airport, the experience was fantastic. I am always saying in general how bad the service is in Australian hosipitality venues, well this would have to be the exception to the rule. All the staff were friendly, efficient and no request was too much trouble. I could not mention one staff member as being better than the rest, as they were all great.

The rooms were superb, even if it was a little hike up to the Great Room. They were exceptionally clean, which is a huge plus for me, and the beds were comfortable. And of course the views were second to none.

The food was of a top quality, small portions, but we never felt hungry.

Room Tip: Rooms 15 to 21 are closer to the Dining area
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Horgan88
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Arrived here via Rex Air, an easy flight out of Adelaide, then followed by an easy ride to the hotel.

This is one of these places where you feel like you've died and gone to heaven!!  I was here only two nights, three would have been perfect.    SOL is amazing but KI is even more so.

Room: as expected was beautifully designed with all areas designed to stare out at the stunning ocean view, the day I arrived it was cloudy the entire day so it was nice to arrive into a warm toasty room with heated floors and towel racks.    Lovely aromatic bathroom products (using lavender and other essential oils)  Mini bar had a good choice of loose tea leaves and well stocked mini bar. Was in room 3-  being third furthest meant it was a long walk (slight incline) back to the lobby/dining room but it also meant  more privacy when out on private patio facing the ocean vs the restaurant (rm 18-21 being the closest)  and also in my case, closer to the dolphins (on my second afternoon there were at least a dozen of them surfing in front of my room, but others tell me there were thirty of them in the water, they were so close that I was able to take photos of them while vegging on the couch in my room!!   .... I also found the optional no keys policy liberating.

Food: very good given the fresh ingredients used, mostly from the Island.   We also had a nice bbq lunch.    The open bar concept was great. I tried their recommended wines the first night and moved on to choose from the cellar and open my own choice the second.  The selection of all inclusive wine was good and premium wines can also be purchased. Sat outside when the sun is out and inside against the stone wall among a sea of cushions at night, there are six chefs cooking for the max 21 rooms of guests, and they do a great job (though slightly salty at times).

Service: friendly & efficient vs refined (esp at meals... )  but almost perfect. The staff here are mostly in their 20s to early 30s.  Most seem to have been here for six months ish only (hotel is three yr old)  Given how remote this place is one has to live onsite so that probably rules out any one older with kids.    I was not unhappy with the service, just don't expect a Michelin restaurant's service.

Activities: tried all the included activities except the 20min natural history talk.  Loved the seal bay and highlights of KI trip.  Also on the cliff coastal walk from the hotel you really see how well the hotel blends into the environment (one third of the hotel's electricity needs are provided by solar panels)

Cons:
-Wifi.  Weak but we are in the middle of nowhere.
-Flies.   Not too many of them but at lunch they like staying indoors (I ate my breakfasts and lunches outside where they surprisingly did not bother me at all) but one did manage to end up in my room the second night and another one landed on my bread  at dinner.
-Not a big deal, but no bathtub in my room.

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank Anilegna