“Excellent ”

L'Unico Trattoria Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Description: L’Unico Trattoria started life as a small BYO in 1994. Set in an Idyllic location on the waterfront at Trinity Beach about 20km north of Cairns, the word soon spread, and L’Unico quickly became a regular dining spot for tourists and locals alike.In 1997, after three years at Trinity Beach we moved just 400 metres further along the beachfront to take advantage of even better ocean views and new, larger premises complete with wood-fired pizza oven and cocktail bar.
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

We went twice during our stay. The food was faultless. We had mussels with chilli tomato base. Barramundi on bed of prawn risotto and avocado salsa. Also angel hair pasta with moreton bay bugs. Beautiful food. If you're after fine dining in trinity beach this is it. We also ordered take away pizza on another night. This was also beautifully cooked and very tasty.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We came up for a day from Cairns, sat on the beach until we decided it was time for lunch so we wandered into L'Unico. The food was pretty good, we had a pizza and salad. Great view of the beach. It's not fine dining, but it's nice.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This is the second time I have been and reviewed this restaurant...and it just gets better overall. This time my wife and I returned with some friends. It was Good Friday and the place was extremely busy. We managed to get a table on the outside balcony which was great as the weather was just right.

Between us we ordered breads. My wife generally doesn't eat bread but the flat bread they served was devine. I think one of the breads was called volcanic bread and it was accompanied with a hot cheese sauce. We couldn't get enough of it. A smart move as it was using sauce that they would use with pasta dishes.

For our mains I ordered a pizza. Everyone tried some and absolutely loved it. The base was exceptional. Our friends had a garlic prawn dish each with a salad. They loved the dishes. In fact, our female friend couldn't stop raving about the prawn dish. The only minor fly in the ointment was they forgot the salads initially. After a prompt the salads very quickly turned up. My wife had the kids size fish and chips. She loved the battered fish but unfortunately the chips were only warm.

At this point we were pretty sated and thought we would finish our drinks and leave. The owner came up cleared our dishes and apologised profusely for the delay with the salads. He therein offered us free deserts, which we eagerly accepted. I ordered tiramisu...and note I am pretty fussy on my tiramisu. Our friends ordered a chocolate mud cake and my wife ordered a caramel pudding. My tiramisu was probably the second best I have ever had...only surpassed by the one I had in an Italian cookery class I attended. Our friends both thought the mud cake was the best they had ever tasted. My wife liked hers, but she was to full to get very far.

All in all an extremely good dining experience despite minor hiccups.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed at Trinity Beach for few weeks in March and ate at L'Unico twice. Both times we had a lovely meal and really enjoyed the experience. Overlooking the beach.

The beef carpaccio and the oyster special as a starter were excellent. Our son is glutin intolerant and really enjoyed his pizzas. We had steaks and veal medallions - both excellent.

On our last night in Trinity Beach we came here to celebrate with cocktails and lots of wine and the bill was still reasonable.

The service was efficient and friendly.

Recommended.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I've heard many things about L'Unico's and enjoyed a nice dinner there in March. I was there on a very busy Saturday night. There was a birthday party, all tables fully booked but I did get a nice table along the water.

The waiter was very friendly and indicated that one better has a starter as the mains aren't that big. I wasn't too hungry hence ordered the pasta with chilli garlic prawns ($30). The serving was ok, however the dish was a little 'doll'. The prawns were cooked well however the dish was a little dry. It lacked the kick from the chilli and with only oil drizzled on the pasta didn't quite do it for me.

In all it was a nice evening set in a very nice environment. However the prizes are rather steep for what you get.
Would I return? Most likely for drinks only as the scenery is very nice.